U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 01:04 AM

24 posts, read 45,102 times

Advertisements

Has anyone wondered if a big earthquake will hit LA? I've been living in this city all my life since 1984 the year of my birth and so far I haven't experienced an earthquake that has destroyed my home.

Does anybody wonder if a big earthquake will hit in their lifetime? And are you guys prepared in case? I've been wondering if I should have "an earthquake" kit or something. So far all I have is a first aid kit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 01:06 AM

7,801 posts, read 3,786,386 times
I just hope we payed what we owe for protection. Don Nature is comming back and she'll be displeased with any lack of payment.

Old 06-06-2012, 02:26 AM

10,930 posts, read 10,622,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisterluke View Post
Has anyone wondered if a big earthquake will hit LA? I've been living in this city all my life since 1984 the year of my birth and so far I haven't experienced an earthquake that has destroyed my home.

Does anybody wonder if a big earthquake will hit in their lifetime? And are you guys prepared in case? I've been wondering if I should have "an earthquake" kit or something. So far all I have is a first aid kit.
I don't talk about it. I don't want to think about it.

There goes my evening.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:10 AM

6,320 posts, read 15,791,762 times
Yes, I think about it from time to time. I've lived here all of my life, too, since 1963. The quakes I remember most are the 1971 San Fernando and 1994 Northridge ones. Northridge was particularly scary; I don't like waking up in the dark with everything shaking!

I live in an apartment, so I can only prepare so much. I figure when my time is up, it's up. I could just as easily die in a car accident as an earthquake. In fact, the stats are probably in favor of me dying in a car accident, but I still have to drive. So there you are; just my take on it.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:16 AM

8,545 posts, read 9,491,584 times
We are out near Palm Springs, about a mile or two from the San Andreas..and no, I don't worry or dwell on it..I lived in L.A. area for both Sylmar and Northridge, and have also felt many others...we have extra water and an emergency kit for a few necessities if the unthinkable should happen..and if it's our time, it's our time..Each day is a new day, and the thought of a major earthquake really doesn't cross our minds very often..Enjoy life!

Old 06-06-2012, 10:23 AM

12,665 posts, read 11,410,394 times
I have a much greater chance of getting hit by a bus or getting impaled by a low flying duck than I do of every dying in an earthquake so I wonder when one will hit but I do not worry about it.

Old 06-06-2012, 11:11 AM

448 posts, read 1,424,137 times
I don't think about it really, BUT I do have an earthquake kit, which cost 50 bucks. It's worth the small investment. I just keep it in my closet. It has space food, canned water, a tent, radio, the works. I also went to Costco and bought a bunch of canned food and put it in my pantry. That stuff lasts forever practically. Oh and the kit comes with a can opener

Old 06-06-2012, 01:49 PM

17,577 posts, read 16,385,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisterluke View Post
Does anybody wonder if a big earthquake will hit in their lifetime?
Of course.
//www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...e-ca-deal.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/san-f...-east-bay.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/calif...n-big-one.html

Old 06-06-2012, 03:54 PM

2,262 posts, read 6,530,899 times
I try not to worry about it. I have a "survival kit" (I'm not even sure what's in it, heh), first aid kit, a bunch of cans of vegetable beef stew, several gallons of water, a couple of wind-up flashlights, drinking water tablets, and a book about surviving stuff (that I've never read). I store them all in the back of my cupboard "just in case" there's an earthquake, virus outbreak, zombie apocalypse, etc...

I have also (maybe most importantly) started running. Just in case I may need to get away from something/someone in a hurry. When I started, it was shocking to me that I was out of breath before I got to the end of the block. I would be so screwed in a zombie apocalypse! Now I can MAYBE run (i.e. jog) a mile before they'd get me, heh.

Other than that, since there's not much I can do about it... I just don't dwell on it. (except for the zombie apocalypse. I have to admit... I think about that a lot)

Old 06-06-2012, 04:21 PM

203 posts, read 491,729 times
I'm too arrogant to believe the "big one" is gonna happen anytime soon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles