Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 10:57 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,600,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
Well we must have at least a common language in this nation. And for those fools that say that we have Spanish names like California, Nevada, etc. We also have Native American names of states and towns like Oklahoma, and Chatanooga.
I don't see a problem with making English an official language as long as it wouldn't mean that all those place names would have to be changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2007, 12:22 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,449,173 times
I don't care what language towns in Arizona, Illinois, or Rhode Island came from as long as I can communicate with people in the country. Come to the USA = learn English. Its that simple. Don't expect me to to cater to you in your language just because my government is too politically incorrect to impede your illegal invasion.

Old 09-25-2007, 06:22 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,309,354 times
While we do have people from different countries here it does seem the majority of those people do learn to/or use to learn to speak English. It use to be a necessity. And now it seems that no longer holds true. So how are we suppose to communicate in our own country?? And where is the pride??

Old 09-25-2007, 08:31 AM

1,398 posts, read 6,606,344 times
To address JerZ, I hope the actual etymological answer helps you out with this one. English is, in part, a difficult tongue abounding in archaic spelling because of its very elasticity, which also still remains its greatest strength. It incorporates words from all over the globe, and new ones constantly. This has contributed to its usage as the international language of commerce as much as America's prominent economic position: new scientific terms become immediate vernacular (France, for example, struggles mightily with invention of Frenchcentric computer terms.) English also is gender-free, a great advancement according to all who study language and its sociological implications.

Addressing the question of homogeniety- Switzerland incorporates a mix of languages based upon geographic promiximity (German, French and Italian based upon which corner of the country, and a native Swiss tongue which no one actually uses,) and modern Swiss usually learn English as their foreign language in school. In fact, everywhere in the world, people want to learn English for personal advancement except Los Angeles! The Swiss have a FIERCE national pride, with their reverse red cross flags on anything and everything (not just tourist items.)

We should have that pride too. We are Americans, not Hispano-Suisse-Azawar-Bantus from centuries ago. We Americans, born and naturalized citizens alike come from everywhere, not just neighboring countries. English is our lingua franca, and it would have been impossible for our country to congeal as a nation without the unifying solidarity of one language within which all these myriad peoples could converse. It's a proven concept: Kiswahili works the same way in Africa to permit all the different tribes to communicate with one another. America must continue as an English language country, as surely as it must improve its foreign language education, for it to continue as America as all. Who else in the world incorporates people from everywhere all over its nation, as opposed to pockets like the former U.S.S.R?

P.S. Christopher Columbus himself, whatever spelling, was Italian! (Genoan technically, since Italy was yet to be united.)

Old 09-25-2007, 08:56 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,428,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Well, yeah, but...that just proves the point. There have never been "all-English" names or, for that matter, an "all-English"-speaking U.S. Never...not since the end of the fifteenth century. It might be time for us to get used to it.

Actually, the very first place names weren't English. Where did Columbus land? In central America...and Columbus (Cristobol Colombo) was, yes, you guessed it...Spanish.
Why do we call America "America"? It is named after Amerigo Vespucci, an Italilan explorer. The name of our very country, for goodness' sake, isn't even English.

Not only do we have English and Spanish place names and, in some cases, phrases...and food...and neighborhoods, but we have all of these in Dutch...Polish...French...Swedish...German...gosh, I don't know, throw a dart at an atlas, you'll probably find a non-English place name and culture, hundreds of years old, to match it.
Christopher Columbus was not Spanish - I am not sure where you got that from.

Old 09-25-2007, 10:06 AM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Christopher Columbus was not Spanish - I am not sure where you got that from.
I brain-jammed; he was Italian but commissioned by Spain for his voyages (I believe two of them--but don't hold me to that) and supposedly backed by Italian investors, but not by Italy as the "crown". It was late when I posted, and I put the two facts together.

...ETA: Although, this is interesting! It's from Wikipedia, so a grain of salt is probably in order, but still...

Although Genoese documents have been found about a weaver named Colombo, some letters which are said to have been written by Columbus are written in a poor form of Spanish mixed with Portuguese and Catalan phonetics. He allegedly used this hodgepodge, at times, when writing personal notes to himself, to his brother, Italian friends, and to the Bank of Genoa. Two of his brothers, also accepted as being wool weavers from Genoa, could possibly understand this lowly form of Spanish/Portuguese as well. Genovese Italian was not really a very largely written language by many of Genoa's people at that time, but the average person from Genoa naturally spoke a Genoese form of Italian with a Genoese accent.

Last edited by JerZ; 09-25-2007 at 10:16 AM..

Old 09-25-2007, 07:43 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,600,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
English also is gender-free, a great advancement according to all who study language and its sociological implications.
I don't buy those "sociological" implications. Farsi is gender-free but that has not benefited Iranian women. If having a gender neutral language really affected people's behavior, a substantial part of the population of the West Side would be in Tehran right now.

Quote:
Addressing the question of homogeniety- Switzerland incorporates a mix of languages based upon geographic promiximity (German, French and Italian based upon which corner of the country, and a native Swiss tongue which no one actually uses,)
Romanche, which is also spoken in the adjacent parts of Italy. It is an endangered language.

Quote:
and modern Swiss usually learn English as their foreign language in school. In fact, everywhere in the world
Including Mexico, btw.

Quote:
people want to learn English for personal advancement except Los Angeles! The Swiss have a FIERCE national pride, with their reverse red cross flags on anything and everything (not just tourist items.)
So why, during every World Cup, does one hear "Italia!" cried through the streets of Swiss cities?

The Swiss Germans seem to be the most nationalistic probably due to an understandable desire in the past to not identify with Germany or Austria (particularly during the first half of the 20th century). The opposition to EU membership came from the German speaking parts of Switzerland.

Quote:
We should have that pride too. We are Americans, not Hispano-Suisse-Azawar-Bantus from centuries ago. We Americans, born and naturalized citizens alike come from everywhere, not just neighboring countries. English is our lingua franca, and it would have been impossible for our country to congeal as a nation without the unifying solidarity of one language within which all these myriad peoples could converse. It's a proven concept: Kiswahili works the same way in Africa to permit all the different tribes to communicate with one another. America must continue as an English language country, as surely as it must improve its foreign language education, for it to continue as America as all. Who else in the world incorporates people from everywhere all over its nation,
Other English speaking countries. France also (although it seems unable to assimilate Muslim immigrants in the same way it successfully assimilated immigrants from Southern and Eastern Europe, the Caribbean, and Latin America.)

Quote:
as opposed to pockets like the former U.S.S.R?

P.S. Christopher Columbus himself, whatever spelling, was Italian! (Genoan technically, since Italy was yet to be united.)
The Catalans and Corsicans claim otherwise, but I'll go with the generally accepted consensus that he was Genovese.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:00 PM

152 posts, read 572,282 times
English should be the official language of this country. One nation, one official language. Otherwise...chaos! Look at Miami...far worse than LA when coming to spanish speaking people!!

Old 09-26-2007, 11:02 PM

120 posts, read 631,587 times
Default re

When I go to Quebec, I expect to speak French. Going to Germany, I expect to speak German. Though a lot of them know English, I don't expect them to cater to me because I am in their land-I feel it's my responsibility as a newcomer to learn the language of the culture that I go to. I think it's a sign of respect. I feel that it should be the same for newcomers to the United States. I'm not saying that they shouldn't speak their native language, but for business and public dealings, newcomers to America should learn English. I welcome immigrants as long as they go through the proper legal processes and contribute to their families and society in a responsible/positive way once they are here.

Old 09-26-2007, 11:10 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,890,969 times
I can't stand Villaraigosa. I try to imagine that he's not really the mayor. Not this guy...please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles