Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 06:28 PM

78 posts, read 344,253 times

Advertisements

Uday,
I live in Los Angeles. Los Angeles is very big, and there are nice places to live. Obviously, the nicer places cost more, but if you have children who will be going to school, it is worth it.

Compton and the area around Compton is not very safe and is known for violent crime and gangs. Some nice areas that are easy commute to Compton are parts of Long Beach (as previously mentioned), San Pedro, Palos Verdes, parts of Torrance, Redondo Beach, and Hermosa Beach. You need to take a look around the neighborhood before you decide, since it can vary greatly even within the same city. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2007, 07:28 AM

20 posts, read 110,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiths1 View Post
Uday nice to meet you! i hope and pray you really take the advice of everyone on this board- your life and your families life are more important that than any job or any place to live. compton is sooooo dangerous! below i posted the statistics as of 2 years ago...things are even worse than what this chart says...but also keep in mind that these are the "reported" crimes...which means that there are so many more crimes that were done that where never reported to the police. (a forewarning- many people dont report crimes because they fear that someone will harm them if they do) if your coming from india- its gonna be a crazy change to be working in compton- if there is anyway that you can change your place of buisness you should do it before you even come here! i just meet a lady last month who just moved outta compton with her entire family. they have been despertley trying to get out of there for the sake of saving their lives.. they constantly had drive by shootings...maybe you dont know about this kind of thing- but in bad areas such as compton there are gangs/rivals of people groups and races etc. and they drive by your house and store and place of work shooting guns at your house/work place etc.. anyway this happens daily.. and this ladys house was getting shot at for no reason... after a bunches of drive by shootings that went on for years- one day actually 2 of her family members where shot, her old mother and her son. thank God they didnt die, but after that happened they just moved out of their house that day and sold their house for just a tiny amount of money (they took a huge financial lost) but they didnt care, they where just relieved to get out of there alive! anyway please do whatever you got to do to not have to work or live in compton!!! your job is not worth your life! take care! and be safe!

Murders 65
per 100,000

67.1 Rapes

40 per 100,000

41.3 Robberies

474 per 100,000

489.3 Assaults

1,152 per 100,000

1189.2 Burglaries

638 per 100,000

658.6 Thefts

971 per 100,000

1002.3 Auto thefts

1,006 per 100,000

1038.5 Arson

91 per 100,000

93.9 City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 325.2)

and there are 249 registered sex offenders
//www.city-data.com/so/so-Compt...tml]Registered sex offenders in Compton, California
Hi,

Thanks for your advice. Actually, my present company in India orders me to take this project, since I am only having the required skills to handle the project. I cannot change the location of the US company, since they are working there for more than 25 yrs and even I cannot ask for that so. In this situation, I have to take decision that, whether to leave the present company or I have take up this challenge.

I don’t like to leave my present company because it’s my dream company. But I have to consider my life also.

Presently one guy is working there representing my company and he stays at BunaPark. He walks 2.5 miles from his apartment and goes through by public transport and again he walks 2.5 miles in Compton Street and reach the company. What my superiors are telling is, why can’t u live if someone there is already leaving safely?

I don’t know what to do? Whether to take this opportunity or leave the present company.

Please let me know, is there any possibilities to live there?

Uday

Old 10-15-2007, 07:35 AM

385 posts, read 1,556,032 times
How would this gentlemen get from Irvine, Ca. to Carson via public transportation? I haven't lived in SoCal for five years but my recollection is that would be impossible. It would be hair raising with his own personal car considering the daily traffic nightmare. I couldn't imagine living anywhere within a 30 mile radius of this area.

Old 10-15-2007, 10:05 AM

1,398 posts, read 6,606,973 times
Uday, forums like these may contain occasionally flippant answers, but believe me, no one here wants to see your family and you put in danger by moving to the wrong location. Compton is the wrong location.

There are many manufacturers and companies located in Compton for these simple reasons: the acreage is cheaper and suitable for light industry, and most of its workers go home at night. Night in Compton is dangerous. I feel sorry for its residents and their plight, and wince at this assessment, but it's probably the very worst area in which to live in all of Los Angeles. The other worker that your company glorified for living there must be a 6'5" burly male! (joke.)

The suggestion of checking out Lakewood is a good one. This is still a family area that's relatively inexpensive, due to its former status as a bedroom community of workers in the airplane manufacturing business. The Del Amo mall is nearby, and there are many strip malls that contain stores and services that you might actually want or require, (as opposed to all liquor stores, bail bonds and send money to Mexico stores.) The schools contain mainly Hispanic children. I know a teacher there, and the Lakewood teachers are very dedicated to the kids, no matter what problems the schools may have.

Go to Mapquest.com and put Lakewood CA in the search, so you can see what areas are around, and then find what public transportation is around, etc. I think Lakewood will work for you. Do not house your family in Compton. They'd be prisoners. Good luck!

Last edited by fastfilm; 10-15-2007 at 10:14 AM..

Old 10-15-2007, 11:25 AM

42 posts, read 221,111 times
If you haven't been to LA before - public transportation sucks. Having a car is the only really viable option. No matter where you live you will encounter traffic.

In response to someones earlier post, do not look at mapquest times. That is based on you driving 60 mph on freeways. You will most probably be going <20 mph at peak times. When looking at commutes in LA it is times, not distances which you should focus on.

I live in really good part of West LA and work in Gardena (bordering Compton). My drive to work is good as it is a reverse commute. It is 20 miles and takes me 30 minutes in the morning on 405/105/110 and 45-60 mins going home in the afternoon.

As regards safe areas - try lalife.com. It details price, safety and schools in all areas of LA.

Old 10-15-2007, 07:01 PM

38,895 posts, read 22,885,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rats View Post
Lakewood (near Cal State Long Beach) isn't a bad area either.... take it into consideration.
I second this suggestion, since I happen to live in Lakewood. Someone else also suggested Cerritos, a neighboring city to Lakewood, which has a sizeable Asian Indian community. Pioneer Boulevard in Artesia is known as Little Bombay.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
Uday, forums like these may contain occasionally flippant answers, but believe me, no one here wants to see your family and you put in danger by moving to the wrong location. Compton is the wrong location.

There are many manufacturers and companies located in Compton for these simple reasons: the acreage is cheaper and suitable for light industry, and most of its workers go home at night. Night in Compton is dangerous. I feel sorry for its residents and their plight, and wince at this assessment, but it's probably the very worst area in which to live in all of Los Angeles. The other worker that your company glorified for living there must be a 6'5" burly male! (joke.)

The suggestion of checking out Lakewood is a good one. This is still a family area that's relatively inexpensive, due to its former status as a bedroom community of workers in the airplane manufacturing business. The Del Amo mall is nearby, and there are many strip malls that contain stores and services that you might actually want or require, (as opposed to all liquor stores, bail bonds and send money to Mexico stores.) The schools contain mainly Hispanic children. I know a teacher there, and the Lakewood teachers are very dedicated to the kids, no matter what problems the schools may have.

Go to Mapquest.com and put Lakewood CA in the search, so you can see what areas are around, and then find what public transportation is around, etc. I think Lakewood will work for you. Do not house your family in Compton. They'd be prisoners. Good luck!
Hi,

Thanks for your comments. Unquestionably I am not going to live at Compton. I would prefer Lakewood, Cerritos and Artesia. I have some more questions

1) Is it safe in reaching Compton by car on day time from the above mentioned locations?
2) Does International license is enough to drive in CA?
3) For renting a house in CA, SSN # is must at initial stage or I 94 document is enough?
4) Is it safe to bring the family during my travel itself or sometime later?

Thanks in advance
Uday

Old 10-16-2007, 12:10 AM

5 posts, read 22,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by udaii_d View Post
Hi,

Thanks for your comments. Unquestionably I am not going to live at Compton. I would prefer Lakewood, Cerritos and Artesia. I have some more questions

1) Is it safe in reaching Compton by car on day time from the above mentioned locations?
3) For renting a house in CA, SSN # is must at initial stage or I 94 document is enough?

Thanks in advance
Uday
Hi Uday,

I currently live in LA and will be moving LB in couple of weeks. LB is a good area and i can suggest some good places as i am currently involved in Apartment search.

To your questions

1. Day time traveling should not be a problem.
2. International DL will help initially but i would advice you to take CA License ASAP.
3. Many Rental agencies will require SSN# (SSN will take 3-4 weeks).
4. Depends

Old 10-16-2007, 12:13 AM

5 posts, read 22,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by udaii_d View Post
Hi,

Thanks in advance
Uday
Hi Uday,

I currently live in LA and will be moving LB in couple of weeks. LB is a good area and i can suggest some good places as i am currently involved in Apartment search.

To your questions

2. International DL will help initially but i would advice you to take CA License ASAP.
4. Varies Individual to individual but my advice would be if you are travelling for the first time, come alone, get settled like finding an apartment, license and buying a car and then bring your family here.

Senior members - Please correct me if i am wrong.

Regards
Aravind

Old 10-23-2007, 11:32 PM

Thumbs up Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvindh View Post
Hi Uday,

To your questions

4. Varies Individual to individual but my advice would be if you are travelling for the first time, come alone, get settled like finding an apartment, license and buying a car and then bring your family here.

Senior members - Please correct me if i am wrong.

Regards
Aravind

Hi Aravind,
Thanks for your reply. May possibly I will travel to LA in the mid of Dec. I keep all the positive responses given in this forum by all in my mind and plan accordingly to live safely in LA.

Bye
Uday
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles