Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-24-2007, 06:10 PM
 
2,589 posts, read 8,635,999 times
Reputation: 2644

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by udaii_d View Post
Hi,

Thanks for your comments. Unquestionably I am not going to live at Compton. I would prefer Lakewood, Cerritos and Artesia. I have some more questions

1) Is it safe in reaching Compton by car on day time from the above mentioned locations?
2) Does International license is enough to drive in CA?
3) For renting a house in CA, SSN # is must at initial stage or I 94 document is enough?
4) Is it safe to bring the family during my travel itself or sometime later?

Thanks in advance
Uday

regarding question #4: will your company help you find housing in advance or pay for your temporary lodging while you search for a permanent place to live? if you are on your own in that regard, then i think it would be better to leave your family behind until you have a place to live, particularly if money is a factor for you. if you have to stay at a hotel while you seek housing, you'll have a larger number of less expensive options as a man alone than with a wife and child. on your own, you basically just need a place to sleep and shower, because you'll be working, but if you bring your family immediately you will want to be more careful about location and so on because your family will be there all day. hotels in nicer areas can be pretty pricey, and you can run up quite a bill in just a week or two. on the other hand, if your employer is going to house you in a corporate apartment where you can unpack, prepare your own meals, and take your time looking for a place of your own, you might prefer to bring the family right away.

i worked in compton, and commuted from long beach. there is a train that runs along alameda and connects those two cities, if you need to use public transport. i think you will find something there at the upper end of your price range; however, you might have trouble renting a one bedroom apartment for three people. (recent experience has taught me that it doesn't matter if one of them is a small child.) if you insist upon being closer to compton, carson is right next door, but the better areas of that city do not have a lot of rental property, and the presence of a university campus tends to drive up the prices of desirable rentals there.

to clear up the confusion about rancho dominguez: it is an unincorporated area between compton and carson, and is part of neither city. there's not much residential property there, safe or otherwise.

Last edited by katenik; 10-24-2007 at 06:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-25-2007, 12:44 AM
 
20 posts, read 110,532 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
regarding question #4: will your company help you find housing in advance or pay for your temporary lodging while you search for a permanent place to live? if you are on your own in that regard, then i think it would be better to leave your family behind until you have a place to live, particularly if money is a factor for you. if you have to stay at a hotel while you seek housing, you'll have a larger number of less expensive options as a man alone than with a wife and child. on your own, you basically just need a place to sleep and shower, because you'll be working, but if you bring your family immediately you will want to be more careful about location and so on because your family will be there all day. hotels in nicer areas can be pretty pricey, and you can run up quite a bill in just a week or two. on the other hand, if your employer is going to house you in a corporate apartment where you can unpack, prepare your own meals, and take your time looking for a place of your own, you might prefer to bring the family right away.

i worked in compton, and commuted from long beach. there is a train that runs along alameda and connects those two cities, if you need to use public transport. i think you will find something there at the upper end of your price range; however, you might have trouble renting a one bedroom apartment for three people. (recent experience has taught me that it doesn't matter if one of them is a small child.) if you insist upon being closer to compton, carson is right next door, but the better areas of that city do not have a lot of rental property, and the presence of a university campus tends to drive up the prices of desirable rentals there.

to clear up the confusion about rancho dominguez: it is an unincorporated area between compton and carson, and is part of neither city. there's not much residential property there, safe or otherwise.
Hi,

One of my colleagues is working there from my company now. He stays at Buena park (with his wife and 5yr old son) and goes to office (18420, South Santa Fe Ave, Compton) by one of his colleague car.( i don't know why he is still bought a car ). I have asked him to book me an apartment where he is now staying. So, if he arranges me an apartment, there will be no need to stay in hotel initially and I can travel with my family. On the other hand my company will book me hotel initially for one week (I don’t know where its, whether near to Compton or some other place) and the payment will be 75% and 25% company and self respectively.

But the whole problem lies in my PA date. Because, my collogue there, may leave to India this DEC (I am sure DEC or JAN), so i am worried about my PA date. I like to be there in his presence.

Please tell me Poistive and Negatives about Buena Park?

Anyway I will valuably consider your points and take a decision while my traveling. Thanks for your kind advice.

Regards
Uday
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2007, 12:42 PM
 
2,589 posts, read 8,635,999 times
Reputation: 2644
Quote:
Originally Posted by udaii_d View Post
Hi,

One of my colleagues is working there from my company now. He stays at Buena park (with his wife and 5yr old son) and goes to office (18420, South Santa Fe Ave, Compton) by one of his colleague car.( i don't know why he is still bought a car ). I have asked him to book me an apartment where he is now staying. So, if he arranges me an apartment, there will be no need to stay in hotel initially and I can travel with my family. On the other hand my company will book me hotel initially for one week (I don’t know where its, whether near to Compton or some other place) and the payment will be 75% and 25% company and self respectively.

But the whole problem lies in my PA date. Because, my collogue there, may leave to India this DEC (I am sure DEC or JAN), so i am worried about my PA date. I like to be there in his presence.

Please tell me Poistive and Negatives about Buena Park?

Anyway I will valuably consider your points and take a decision while my traveling. Thanks for your kind advice.

Regards
Uday
you're welcome.

i'm not familiar with buena park neighborhoods, so i can't help you there. i'm sure your colleague has told you that it is in north orange county, about twenty minutes from compton without traffic. i can't add anything more. sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2007, 08:13 AM
 
20 posts, read 110,532 times
Reputation: 10
Default Information abt Buena Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
you're welcome.

i'm not familiar with buena park neighborhoods, so i can't help you there. i'm sure your colleague has told you that it is in north orange county, about twenty minutes from compton without traffic. i can't add anything more. sorry.

Hi All,

Can anyone help me to know more about Buena Park?

Safe, Schools, Public Transport, Rental Apartments

Thanks
M.Uday
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2007, 04:27 PM
 
8,256 posts, read 17,336,173 times
Reputation: 6225
i don't think it's a very good area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2007, 11:12 PM
 
20 posts, read 110,532 times
Reputation: 10
Default Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
i don't think it's a very good area.

Hi,

Can you explain me Why? My Indian friends are staying there more than 1 yr and commute to compton.

It will be helpful for me if you tell the reason.

Thanks
M.Uday
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2007, 12:09 AM
 
8,256 posts, read 17,336,173 times
Reputation: 6225
Well, it's a fine area compared to others but there are better areas. If that is all your budget can handle, by all means, move there. I wouldn't discourage it at all. But, if you can afford more, I would suggest searching elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2007, 05:18 AM
 
20 posts, read 110,532 times
Reputation: 10
Default Traveling to Compton from MV

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Well, it's a fine area compared to others but there are better areas. If that is all your budget can handle, by all means, move there. I wouldn't discourage it at all. But, if you can afford more, I would suggest searching elsewhere.
Hi,
As i told before, one of my friend is presently staying at Buena Park. I had a long discussion with him regarding moving to Mission Viejo and finally we have decided to move there in a couple of months.

The only worry we have is that " go back and forth to Compton". Is that will be problem. We have planned to buy a car and commute.

Pls.advice.

Thanks
M.Uday
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2007, 11:59 AM
 
8,256 posts, read 17,336,173 times
Reputation: 6225
Mission Viejo is NOT a good idea if you're commuting to Compton. That is almost a 50 mile drive! It will take at least 1.5 hours to get there on a good day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2007, 09:12 PM
 
6 posts, read 31,457 times
Reputation: 12
Yes, the area around Pioneer, 183rd, where the older shops were are extremely elegant, where the Dutch Bakery used to be, very nice friendly people around and expensive nice shops. Artesia/Cerritos is still a cut above the rest....mainly because the type and personalties of the people that live in this area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top