U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 06-14-2012, 12:53 AM
 
Location: Bay Area, Calif.
2,431 posts, read 2,940,602 times
Reputation: 2589

Advertisements

I really doubt that any particular group could be labeled as ALL of anything. I grew up in South L.A. I worked in The Valley, East L.A. and lived in Whittier for 3 years. My younger sister is 'blaxican'. Still, none of this makes me an expert at Hispanic culture. But it lends enough experience in life to miss all the wonderful people I met, lived and worked with, no matter how much some institutionalized cons may prefer to hate Afro Americans. Just look closer and you'll see the good people no matter where you are.

 
Old 06-14-2012, 10:58 AM
 
359 posts, read 424,161 times
Reputation: 406
Chicanos in California in general are extremely racist. I thought the NorCal Californios would be different but they are even worse mainly due to the fact that they look white.
 
Old 06-14-2012, 11:04 AM
 
7,551 posts, read 3,719,649 times
Reputation: 4173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astoriahoney View Post
Chicanos in California in general are extremely racist. I thought the NorCal Californios would be different but they are even worse mainly due to the fact that they look white.
I think it's changine. My neighborhood use to chase out blacks. We only got one racist neighbor who is half mex half white. But overall a prick.

If you live in Atwater you might have noticed him. Sunglasses, ponytail and always riding on a bike all over the neighborhood.

The guy has a history of scratching cars, breaking windows and throwing rocks. He's a mental case, the village weirdo. We had a black and latino couple across the street, but he ended up making them move out because he harrased them. The neighbor behind my house is black, aswell as a few other new folks. It's becomming more accepting of diversity. Mainly because all the cholos have been driven into hiding.

It's crazy though, my uncle was amazed when he heard that Chicago had blacks and latinos in the same gangs. Gangs arent good but racist attitudes within gangs are worse.
 
Old 06-14-2012, 11:14 AM
 
359 posts, read 424,161 times
Reputation: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
I think it's changine. My neighborhood use to chase out blacks. We only got one racist neighbor who is half mex half white. But overall a prick.

If you live in Atwater you might have noticed him. Sunglasses, ponytail and always riding on a bike all over the neighborhood.
LOL sounds like my Uncle Roy who's also racist white Chicano (I call him white because he's pure American Mex but looks white). Funny because he's a hippie in the fact that he loves Woodstock, smoke pot and very chill. Until you bring up black folks then he turns all Glenn Beck on your ass.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
It's becomming more accepting of diversity. Mainly because all the cholos have been driven into hiding.

It's crazy though, my uncle was amazed when he heard that Chicago had blacks and latinos in the same gangs. Gangs arent good but racist attitudes within gangs are worse.
That's good to know but I think the old school Chicanos will retain those values until they die off. They don't like mixing. My friend Pilar had a black boyfriend and her family disowned her and wouldn't welcome her back into the family until she dumped him. Even when she dumped him they still gave her crap.

New York Latinos are a different racial mix and more Afro-Latino so I've always assumed that's why the Blacks and Latinos there were so unified.
 
Old 06-14-2012, 11:16 AM
 
7,551 posts, read 3,719,649 times
Reputation: 4173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astoriahoney View Post
LOL sounds like my Uncle Roy who's also racist white Chicano (I call him white because he's pure American Mex but looks white). Funny because he's a hippie in the fact that he loves Woodstock, smoke pot and very chill. Until you bring up black folks then he turns all Glenn Beck on your ass.




That's good to know but I think the old school Chicanos will retain those values until they die off. They don't like mixing. My friend Pilar had a black boyfriend and her family disowned her and wouldn't welcome her back into the family until she dumped him. Even when she dumped him they still gave her crap.

New York Latinos are a different racial mix and more Afro-Latino so I've always assumed that's why the Blacks and Latinos there were so unified.
Thats what I admire about Chicago and NYC. None of that racist bull**** we have here..
 
Old 08-10-2012, 07:32 PM
 
Location: Earth
17,444 posts, read 24,692,054 times
Reputation: 7317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Thats what I admire about Chicago and NYC. None of that racist bull**** we have here..
The Chicago gang alliances - the People Nation and Folk Nation - encompass black, Latino, and white gangs united together against other black, Latino, and white gangs in the opposing alliance. There are probably Asian gangs who are allied with one alliance or the other too, and Chicago has an Arab gang (something L.A. does not have) which is part of one of the alliances (probably the People because they're more into Islamic symbols)

On the west coast Vancouver has a non-racial gang alliance called the United Nations
 
Old 08-10-2012, 07:46 PM
 
Location: CA
1,207 posts, read 2,354,151 times
Reputation: 1240
They probably hate blacks but love their music (- _____ -)
 
Old 08-10-2012, 09:45 PM
 
Location: Armsanta Sorad
5,650 posts, read 7,062,946 times
Reputation: 2447
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
The Chicago gang alliances - the People Nation and Folk Nation - encompass black, Latino, and white gangs united together against other black, Latino, and white gangs in the opposing alliance. There are probably Asian gangs who are allied with one alliance or the other too, and Chicago has an Arab gang (something L.A. does not have) which is part of one of the alliances (probably the People because they're more into Islamic symbols)

On the west coast Vancouver has a non-racial gang alliance called the United Nations
Only in Southern California where gangs are segregate except 18th Street (allegedly). I heard between 1970 and 1990, LA gangs were integrated as well and didn't fight over race (from seeing the movie Colors).
 
Old 08-11-2012, 04:22 PM
 
Location: Vineland, NJ
8,520 posts, read 10,847,100 times
Reputation: 5441
Quote:
Originally Posted by mintgum84 View Post
Arab gangs?

LULZ.
I never really heard of any Arab or Indian gangs in the United States. I think the closest thing we got to having a Middle Eastern type of gang are the "Armenian Power" street gangs in Southern California.
 
Old 08-11-2012, 06:34 PM
 
Location: Earth
17,444 posts, read 24,692,054 times
Reputation: 7317
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I never really heard of any Arab or Indian gangs in the United States. I think the closest thing we got to having a Middle Eastern type of gang are the "Armenian Power" street gangs in Southern California.
Arab gangs do not exist in California but they exist in Chicago. That's one of many differences between Chicago gang culture and California gang culture. Chicago gang culture is less racialized, which is ironic considering Chicago is more segregated than any California city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top