U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 11:10 AM

7,237 posts, read 11,240,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cope1989 View Post
I'm sincerely looking for an answer to this question. I can pretty much understand why most cities grew as rapidly as they did

NYC: Immigrant destination
Chicago: Railroad Hub
Atlanta: Airport Hub
Miami: Immigrant hub and retiree hotspot
Houston: Oil and Natural gas hotspot

But what caused Los Angeles to grow into the behemoth that it is today? And when did it occur? Californians please help me out and give me your input!
Hollywood, ultimately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 01:28 PM

4,155 posts, read 4,653,512 times
Many explanations. Agriculture. Film. Defense and aerospace contracting. Public education from K-12 through the UC system.

But ultimately: lifestyle. The almost unprecedented privilege of a large percentage of a young, affluent nation to make relocation decisions based on considerations other than mere economic survival. The good life. Desire.

To me, that is what makes LA's history truly unique.

Old 06-10-2012, 06:22 PM

2,124 posts, read 4,304,818 times
Variety. LA has it all. You can surf and ski the same day if you want.

Old 06-10-2012, 06:39 PM

7,975 posts, read 3,830,330 times
I'd say growth and downfall.

L.A. physically grew, but the city has really lost much of it's historic areas. Now 6th street bridge is going down(if it hasn't). Rather than making a new and similiar bridge with atleast a memorable look to it. Not exactly the same bridge but with some creativity, they are gonna replace it with something that looks like just another freeway overpass with a couple of pillars sticking out with cables. Like some tacky suspension bridge...

Old 06-11-2012, 01:56 AM

164 posts, read 551,101 times
LA really took off during World War II, where the city became a major if not the biggest defense/war manufacturing city in the US.

Combination of lots of cheap land and lots of good paying jobs at the time (defense, aerospace, shipping ports, small manufacturing were the big ones) attracted a lot of people to move west from the 1940s onwards. Most people seem to forget (or were not alive at the time) that California's economy was booming and probably growing faster than most parts of the country through to the late 1980s. From the post war on, you simply got more value for money compared to the northeast (good paying jobs and reasonable cost of living). Atlanta followed a similar trend (cheap land and jobs) but in the 1980s onwards, as did Nevada and Arizona in the 1990s onwards.

Hollywood gets all the attention, but it is these other sectors that attracted "normal" people to move here. Just like most of Las Vegas has little to do with the Strip.

In America historically, mass migrations can mostly be explained simply: regular people moving their families to where the jobs are.

Just like now. Why has there been an exodus out of LA in the last few years? No jobs. That is what its all about. It is not about politics, the budget, cuts in public spending, quality of life, crime, illegal immigrants, racial issues, yadda yadda yadda. When you don't have a job, can't find a job and you get a job offer in another part of the country - you move. if you still have your job, found another job without having to move, you stay. Simple as that for many people.

Last edited by redturtle; 06-11-2012 at 02:05 AM..

Old 06-11-2012, 05:06 AM

75,103 posts, read 87,518,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cope1989 View Post
I'm sincerely looking for an answer to this question. I can pretty much understand why most cities grew as rapidly as they did

NYC: Immigrant destination
Chicago: Railroad Hub
Atlanta: Airport Hub
Miami: Immigrant hub and retiree hotspot
Houston: Oil and Natural gas hotspot

But what caused Los Angeles to grow into the behemoth that it is today? And when did it occur? Californians please help me out and give me your input!
A combination of many things: immegration and climate being the two that come to mind immediately, followed by the job market just prior to and immediately after WW2. It started in the depression years, many people left the dust bowl states for a better life. After the war cooporations started moving to the area and of course, the film industry had a lot to do with it as well. I don' t think any one thing is or was responsible. shortly after WW2 Los Angeles was the 5th largest city in the USA.

Nita

Old 06-12-2012, 06:30 PM

35 posts, read 85,856 times
Post WWII, many vets moved out to LA after training in SoCal during the war. Aero-Space industry took off as did many other businesses.

If you look at many of the older homes in LA, they were built during that period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or