U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2012, 06:58 PM

491 posts, read 2,092,552 times

Advertisements

It's nice to hear an outsider's view from time to time. I have young nephews visit me in the summer from the east coast and they both love it here and can't wait for their annual trip. They love the weather, the beaches, and the overall feeling of the area.

And if you move here you can visit other parts of California that are even more impressive, like San Diego, the Sierras, the national parks, Napa Valley, etc. The state includes some of the most beautiful places on earth.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 08:03 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,111,260 times
Just a San Franciscan cruising by the L.A. forum, but its nice to hear you had such a fun time in L.A.. I like it too. I spent nine months in London in the late 90s (back when you were just a lad ) My company sent me there to our U.K. office on a rather "long" short-term assignment. I really enjoyed my time there, but was glad to get back to California.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJCULLEN7 View Post
The weather in the UK is so, so depressing.
QFT! That was a brutal winter. Its not that it was so bone-numbing cold, it was just damp and "raw" much of the time. SoCal does have some of the nicest weather in the US, but it does have its microclimates and is much warmer and smoggier inland during the summer.

Quote:
On the whole from what I saw the teens are a lot better behaved than the UK horrors. The US kids seemed to have more respect for people and the police and are more well rounded from an early age.
This was kind of a surprise to me. I went over with the expectation that everyone there was polite. Quite a shock to find out many weren't. I made some good friends who were young adults (20s/30s) and they tended to be really nice back then - much more humble and genuine that a typical American of that age. But one good friend had a younger brother who was 17. He was sullen bordering on hateful and so were all his friends that I met. I thought he hated my guts, but his sister said "no, the "Brats of London" all act like that now".

Quote:
No drinking in public and strict rules on where you can smoke, which people actually pay attention to.
In the UK just this very week, 2 pregnant women were smoking in the doorway of a maternity unit of the hospital and just laughed when I asked them to stop. I don't this would happen or be tolerated in the States.
I remember more than once riding intercity trains in England, being in a non-smoking car and having people just sort of look around for a steward and then light up. I was at the same table with two of these guys, mentioned it to them and was greeted with a "eff off!". Being there were two of them I just got up and moved.

Quote:
Americans are loud and super confident and don't really care about what anyone thinks.
We're just covering for our idiocy.

Quote:
Everyone, everyone... has amazing teeth.
Not everyone! My dad was too cheap to get me braces when I was a kid so I have gaps that would put Arnold Schwarzenegger or Madonna to shame. But they're healthy and white!

Quote:
Nobody really queues for anything, apart from on the freeway.
Oh yes we do! That's one thing we got from you lot. Everyone forms a line here and if you jump it all hell breaks loose. The only people who "jump the queue" here seem to be recent immigrants (especially little Chinese ladies who give you an elbow to the ribs to get ahead )

Quote:
Service in restaurants, gas stations and generally everywhere is so much better than over here. Everyone is super pleasant.
Agreed. On a whole we do have pretty nice service workers in California.

Quote:
Why do Americans like British accents? 'OMG, are you guys from England?'
I got the same thing over there. My work friends used to show me off in public or to their family and friends. "Go ahead, Jeff! Say something!". If was a bit embarrassing at times.

Quote:
What do you guys who have been, think of the UK? Would you move over here if you got the chance? What do you think of Brits in general?
I liked England and London. Its an amazing country with a fascinating history. I liked most of the people I had to deal with on a day to day basis and once I got to be friends with a few fell in love with the British (they really would really go out of their way to help me once they got to know me). That said, no I wouldn't move there. Its fun, but I'm just too set in my American ways. As for you and your wife, I hope it works out for you! Its one of the things I like about California - people from every corner of the globe living here. Good luck!

Old 06-10-2012, 09:11 PM

5,242 posts, read 11,723,570 times
Americans are really in love with the UK, and love talking about the monarchy. Must make finding a date in LA easy for a British guy. We're in love even more with the Irish. Really we love anyone from Western Europe. Meanwhile I find it funny that people in Europe, including Brits, tend to be cranky and downputting about us Americans. Really it's just an act and when it comes down to it they like eating McDonald's and watching crappy Michael Bay movies just as much as anyone. Same story with the French.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:42 AM

164 posts, read 550,936 times
Quote:
What do you guys who have been, think of the UK?

Would you move over here if you got the chance?

What do you think of Brits in general?
I had expat friends I used to visit in London (a mix of Americans, Kiwis, Italians, and others), and they all seemed to say the same thing: it's one of the hardest cities to make friends, but once you do they're friends for life, and that it takes a lot longer than New York or other major cities to really settle in because the Brits tend to be a bit colder to strangers.

You will find that here in LA people put on a friendly exterior (and it isn't necessarily artificial, just surface level). I have met many expats here in LA go through a similar evolution: they meet a lot of people initially, but then after a while (a year or two?) they go through a transition where they settle in on a smaller group of close friends (sometimes very, very small). And that transition isn't always easy because you don't always know who is a real friend, and who is just an acquaintance, because everyone is just so damn friendly.

I'd rather be around friendly than rude, but when everyone puts on a friendly exterior, it can be confusing. For the newcomer, you will feel you're getting mixed signals (is this person really interested in being a friend, or are they friendly to everyone?). For the longer-term resident, you become so accustomed to it that you don't take anything anyone says seriously while still putting on a friendly face like everyone else.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:12 PM

6,422 posts, read 10,999,848 times
As long as you look like David Beckham and your wife looks like Posh Spice, I don't think anyone will have a problem!

Come to think of it, the only 2 Brit that I find annoying (at least on screen) are Kiera Knightley and Jason Statham.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:24 PM

2,209 posts, read 3,711,336 times
Freelance designer, L.A. is better for that, although I'm not quite sure what it is that you specifically do. Working for a design company would probably better in the beginning just so you can build connections.

Also, Corona?

Old 06-11-2012, 08:33 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,854,653 times
Both LA and London are world class cities and have been hot beds for significant cultural content.

I have been fortunate enough to live in both.

It is a difficult choice!

Old 06-12-2012, 05:06 AM

47 posts, read 59,767 times
That's interesting you guys have lots of lines, or rather "queues". That could explain why we're so chill here, but at the same time can appear "all about me" sometimes. We really don't have that many lines here, come to think of it? Like, I get my burger, my money, gas.. so quick, and convenient, yet in the UK I wonder if having more lines causes society to slow down a bit... or something?? I don't know.. it's confusing... maybe more edgy, cause waiting in lines suck.

Old 06-12-2012, 03:56 PM

3,552 posts, read 5,717,389 times
everyone knows the Irish settled in New York, the english are settling in LA

Old 06-13-2012, 08:02 AM

23 posts, read 42,221 times
Quote:
Yes, I can see your healthcare system is a bit of a mess. We had to go to Laguna Beach hospital for my wife to have an ultrasound and some blood taken, as we don't have medical insurance, this cost us $1500.00. Luckily we have travel insurance to cover this. It's very scary as in England that would be free, to anyone, employed or not. However, the service that we received was second to none, we didn't have to wait for hours like at home, the hospital was immaculate, the staff and doctors painfully helpful and we didn't even have to pay to park. I was very impressed, so don't be too hard on your healthcare system. In the UK, as our healthcare is free, people massively take advantage of it.

Oh and the English drink like the Americans eat.
I am not from CA, but as we are visiting again in a few weeks, I have been reading these boards quite a bit. I am enjoying your post, and respectfully jump in with a comment. While our healthcare system is expensive, it is extraordinary. As the adage goes, you get what you pay for. I had a horrible experience in Rome, and have never in my life been more convinced of the excellence of the American healthcare system. Btw, I still am in shock from reading of pregnant women smoking in the doorway of a maternity ward. That is appalling. I hope you and your wife make it back over here and have a wonderful future (and lots of little ones .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or