U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 12:41 PM

6,556 posts, read 10,299,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexanderaf View Post
I lived in Venice Beach and used to walk around all the time during the day. However, I went on a walk one night and will never do it again...

Lots of homeless around. Many of them were staggering around intoxicated at night, yelling at eachother or themselves. I tried to keep as quiet as possible as I walked bye so I wouldn't catch their attention. Have you ever seen the movie "Zombieland"?
That's funny. They have enough money to afford alcohol? I usually give to the poor on the street but from this news I might re-consider doing it when I get to California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 12:51 PM

18,717 posts, read 27,577,883 times
The idea of someone sticking out in Venice is kind of amusing. You could be juggling alligators while riding a unicycle and you wouldn't stick out.

ps. It's a good place to use your street smarts, though.

Old 06-13-2012, 01:21 PM

5,650 posts, read 7,062,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
Santa Monica beach is west of westwood (see, venice is actually southwest) and is much safer and nicer. However, santa monica is overcrowded. There's also Malibu to the northwest which is the best bet, very clean and safe.

The rule for venice - stay in at night. That's all.
It's probably best to go to VB during the weekdays in the morning. Less crowded, hardly any youths, and adults going on about their daily lives walking on the broadwalk.

Don't go during the summers. It's way too crowded and congested. It's very congested after 12.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:42 PM

13,343 posts, read 18,090,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkElephant View Post
Venice is such a huge mixed bag of everything from homeless, to wealthy, a high school principal might live next door to a widow on one side and an actor on the other.
What if the high school principal is a widow and the widow is also an actor?

Old 06-13-2012, 04:27 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,257,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkElephant View Post
Venice is such a huge mixed bag of everything from homeless, to wealthy, a high school principal might live next door to a widow on one side and an actor on the other.
Where I live (not Venice), high school principals all live on the same block.

Old 06-16-2012, 01:53 AM

9,197 posts, read 14,472,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
The idea of someone sticking out in Venice is kind of amusing. You could be juggling alligators while riding a unicycle and you wouldn't stick out.
...while smoking a joint playing glowing neon electric ukulele naked. Find your own niche, and maybe you'll even wind up making a few bucks on the Strand. Vhat a country!

Old 06-16-2012, 06:37 AM

4,020 posts, read 2,922,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamb113 View Post
He's from San Diego and went to Venice a few times. He said the area was full of "shady" looking mostly minority Pitbull owning gangsters.
Complete and total crap. Yes, there will be shady people in VB. Same as on every other public beach. Maybe a few more due to its quirky nature but it's hardly ghetto as described by your friend.

If you want nicer beaches, check out the Manhattan-Redondo-Hermosa Beach areas (a bit south of Venice) or Santa Monica/Malibu and further up north. I like the OC a bit better, though, when it comes to beach cities, especially Newport and Laguna.

Old 06-16-2012, 06:39 AM

4,020 posts, read 2,922,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
That's funny. They have enough money to afford alcohol? I usually give to the poor on the street but from this news I might re-consider doing it when I get to California.
A cheap bottle of vodka is under $10. It all depends on where you want to get your calories from, I suppose...

I never give money to panhandlers. After a string of incidents both with me and some friends I don't give them leftovers from restaurants, either.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:57 AM

1,632 posts, read 2,397,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamb113 View Post
K thanks! I knew he didn't know what he was talking about! I mean of course its gonna have its characters but he made it sound like it was full of bloods.
Crips actually. Venice Shoreline Crips. It's been heavily gentrified since the 1990's but there is still some presence there. They would be who the middle/upper middle class would get their rock from without having to drive to South Central/Compton etc

Old 06-19-2012, 12:19 PM

13,343 posts, read 18,090,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
Crips actually. Venice Shoreline Crips. It's been heavily gentrified since the 1990's but there is still some presence there. They would be who the middle/upper middle class would get their rock from without having to drive to South Central/Compton etc
and my friends from the V13.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or