U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 05:06 PM

7,141 posts, read 19,551,289 times

Advertisements

it sounds like you already had your mind made up on this topic, why even bother asking for other people's opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 05:10 PM

155 posts, read 221,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
it sounds like you already had your mind made up on this topic, why even bother asking for other people's opinions?
My mind isn't made up, I just wanted to see what others said. That guy wanted to be snarky, so he got snark in response.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:17 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,184,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryDayGuy View Post
My mind isn't made up, I just wanted to see what others said. That guy wanted to be snarky, so he got snark in response.
Your original premise/question is ridiculous on its face "Do only rich people go to college in LA?"

Answer: NO

Do Latinos not go to college?

Answer: NO

College Data:
Cal State LA: 50% Hispanic enrollment
Cal State Dom Hills: 45% Hispanic enrollment
Cal State Northridge: 30% Hispanic enrollment
Cal State Long Beach: 30% Hispanic enrollment
Cal State Fullerton: 30% Hispanic enrollment
UCLA: 17% Hispanic enrollment
USC: 14% Hispanic enrollment

At least I provide data. You provide tired stereotypes based on your "experience".

Yeah, there aren't a lot of PHDs in East LA. But guess what? There's not a lot of PHDs in BFE Arkansas either.

Newsflash: Not all Hispanics in LA are poor and live in East LA.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:25 PM

63 posts, read 132,213 times
It seems like EveryDayGuy already made up his mind and is fishing for someone to back him up despite evidence to the contrary

Old 06-12-2012, 07:18 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,322,298 times
For-profit schools aren't an accurate representation of the real collegiate populations.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:06 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,111,015 times
Well, playing Devil's Advocate here Latinos have a much higher high school drop out rate and much lower college/university graduation rate than whites or Asians (as do African-Americans). That should be of great concern since their are now a little over half of the school age children in the state. To keep the state prospering and incomes growing we need a skilled, educated populace. The demographic shift since 1980 is turning that on its head. The state can't succeed long term if whites and Asians are the bulk of the recipients of Bachelor's/Postgraduate degrees.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:33 AM

2,720 posts, read 4,898,097 times
A bigger question should be how far does a college education take you in LA? Especially if you're a transplant who graduated from a top ten school?

Old 06-13-2012, 05:41 PM

1,960 posts, read 3,689,839 times
Another thing to think about regarding a college education: how many people in college have to take REMEDIAL classes?

You know, classes for things that SHOULD have been dealt with in high school or even junior high school.

Perhaps the added expense is for the staff teaching those courses, whom are quite well paid, and are part of unions, if they are employees of public institutions.

That, and the notion that seems to be abroad, that everyone should go to college, which has resulted in mass consumption of "education". The more demand for something, and the more strained the supply, the more expensive it becomes, whether that something is a college education or cases of Ding-Dongs.

Just my $.02.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:02 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,458,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryDayGuy View Post
The place I taught was awful. Almost all the students were Latino high-school dropouts who were promised immediate job placement upon graduation. They felt that since they paid tuition that their diploma was guaranteed.
While it may have "technically" qualified as a college, I wouldn't use it as a sample for what all colleges or college students are like in LA...

Old 06-13-2012, 06:04 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,458,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
Especially if you're a transplant who graduated from a top ten school?
I think in LA, degrees from the local schools - USC and UCLA - are the most helpful. I don't have a degree (yet) from either, but I've attended both at different times, and I am constantly surprised at how much it's helped. There are alumni everywhere!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or