Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 10:49 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,051,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Not sure why that is. Here in California we have the lowest cost College system in the nation, even with the increase in per unit charges. I also know many people that have college educations including myself. Then again maybe it depends on the circles that you run in. I will agree that many Latinos do not get a college education. My wifes family is an example of that. Her cousin does have a Masters in Mechanical Enginereeing though. My wife is in Nursing and for the most part that seems to be Whites and Asians as well. I am white and have my MBA.

By the way how did you like teaching at UOP?
Maybe at some of the CSU's, but UC has gotten reaaaally expensive in the last couple of years.

Anyway from what I've seen of the LA job market, it does seem like very few people get college degrees, and employers are fine with paying low wages and hiring people who only have a high school diploma. Meanwhile you go to the Bay Area and the baristas at Starbucks all have bachelor's degrees and pretty much anyone with a middle class or upper class job has 2 or 3 or 4 degrees. Similar situation in the Northeastern US, a bit less so in Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 11:32 AM

363 posts, read 555,338 times
I think it's the complication of obtaining the degree that SOME Latinos do not want to deal with.

Take my case. I worked for a big studio, making as much money as someone with a BA (in most cases more), I've also made more advancement in my career because of my hard work and yet I am an 8th Grade drop out with no GED. There seems to be no incentive for people to further their education because of this.

I'm now pondering I should take some courses but still with no real incentive. Just to have it in case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles