U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 10:11 AM

155 posts, read 221,323 times

Advertisements

I've lived in LA for 3.5 years, I've met VERY few people native to LA who are college educated. The ones who are tend to be upper middle class whites and Blacks.

Most of the Latinos I've met only value getting jobs. Most of the working class people I've met barely finish high school (I know LAUSD is awful) but there seems to be little incentive for anyone to go for higher education.

I used to teach at a local (for profit school - i.e. U of Phoenix) college and 90% of my students behaved like babies and had no idea how to be a proper student. I'd never seen anything like that in my entire life.

Outside of that, other than Asians, the majority of the working class folks seem okay working dead end retail jobs.

Damn shame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 10:24 AM

16,250 posts, read 27,822,597 times
Not sure why that is. Here in California we have the lowest cost College system in the nation, even with the increase in per unit charges. I also know many people that have college educations including myself. Then again maybe it depends on the circles that you run in. I will agree that many Latinos do not get a college education. My wifes family is an example of that. Her cousin does have a Masters in Mechanical Enginereeing though. My wife is in Nursing and for the most part that seems to be Whites and Asians as well. I am white and have my MBA.

By the way how did you like teaching at UOP?

Old 06-12-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Not sure why that is. Here in California we have the lowest cost College system in the nation, even with the increase in per unit charges. I also know many people that have college educations including myself. Then again maybe it depends on the circles that you run in. I will agree that many Latinos do not get a college education. My wifes family is an example of that. Her cousin does have a Masters in Mechanical Enginereeing though. My wife is in Nursing and for the most part that seems to be Whites and Asians as well. I am white and have my MBA.

By the way how did you like teaching at UOP?
It wasn't UOP, it was one of those smaller for-profit schools that always have problems with accreditation. I used UOP as an example.

The place I taught was awful. Almost all the students were Latino high-school dropouts who were promised immediate job placement upon graduation. They felt that since they paid tuition that their diploma was guaranteed.

I'd never met such a horrible group of people. Their attitudes and ideas about life were incredibly weak-willed. Only a few of those students took their education seriously.

Other than that, most people I've met in LA with a quality college education are transplants, or upper class.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:42 AM

7,141 posts, read 19,549,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryDayGuy View Post
It wasn't UOP, it was one of those smaller for-profit schools that always have problems with accreditation. I used UOP as an example.

The place I taught was awful. Almost all the students were Latino high-school dropouts who were promised immediate job placement upon graduation. They felt that since they paid tuition that their diploma was guaranteed.

I'd never met such a horrible group of people. Their attitudes and ideas about life were incredibly weak-willed. Only a few of those students took their education seriously.

Other than that, most people I've met in LA with a quality college education are transplants, or upper class.
i've heard some pretty terrible things about the recruiting habits of those for-profit colleges. i doubt you'd experience the same issues at a public university. the for-profits to me have always been expensive alternatives to community colleges and it seems like that was the crowd you were dealing with.

anyways, i was far from rich growing up, my parents struggled finanically quite a bit as i was growing up. i attended a state school here in CA and now do just fine. i found the student population to be quite diverse at my school as well, not just rich whites and asians (even though those groups definitely existed).

Old 06-12-2012, 11:18 AM

1,714 posts, read 3,262,828 times
Quote:
I've lived in LA for 3.5 years, I've met VERY few people native to LA who are college educated. The ones who are tend to be upper middle class whites and Blacks.
Many of the Asians you see in local universities and colleges are LA-area natives, rich or not.

Asian-American students tend to be overachievers because they have to live up to the huge Asian-style expectations of their parents. One of the things that these kids have to do in life is finish college.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:27 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,183,924 times
Quote:

Most of the Latinos I've met only value getting jobs. Most of the working class people I've met barely finish high school (I know LAUSD is awful) but there seems to be little incentive for anyone to go for higher education.

I used to teach at a local (for profit school - i.e. U of Phoenix) college and 90% of my students behaved like babies and had no idea how to be a proper student. I'd never seen anything like that in my entire life.

Outside of that, other than Asians, the majority of the working class folks seem okay working dead end retail jobs.

Damn shame.
Your experience should not paint an entire ethnic population. According to the latest reports, Latinos make up 31% of all students at California public colleges and universities.

So much for "Latinos only value getting jobs".

Maybe you should meet new people.

California Postsecondary Education Commission -- Ethnicity Snapshots

Old 06-12-2012, 11:54 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,321,948 times
Quote:

Once you get out of the "real" colleges, that's how it is. Anywhere in the US. For-profit schools and the majority of community college seem to attract a larger percent of idiots than WalMart at 2am.

After I went to UIowa, I took a 3 credit community college class in geography for fun.

We're taking a test, and some kid starts cheating. The teacher tells him to throw away his test, so he crumbles it up into a ball, and says "that's just too damn bad" and throws it in the air. He was Native American.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
Your experience should not paint an entire ethnic population. According to the latest reports, Latinos make up 31% of all students at California public colleges and universities.

So much for "Latinos only value getting jobs".

Maybe you should meet new people.

California Postsecondary Education Commission -- Ethnicity Snapshots
In Los Angeles or across the whole state? I'm certain that there are lots of Latinos in public education in the State... how many finish and how many create (non food truck) businesses?

I know what I've seen in Los Angeles and who works where. If you go to any fast food restaurant, cell phone store, Wal-mart, K-mart, Target or 99 cent store, most of those people are Latino, and it's not because they are the only ones applying.

As one of my former Latino students told me point blank - and I'll never forget this: "One of our friends will get into a retail gig and then work there til they become a manager... then he only hires people from the neighborhood (all Latino)."

Try being real instead of defensive.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:50 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,183,924 times
Quote:
In Los Angeles or across the whole state? I'm certain that there are lots of Latinos in public education in the State... how many finish and how many create (non food truck) businesses?

I know what I've seen in Los Angeles and who works where. If you go to any fast food restaurant, cell phone store, Wal-mart, K-mart, Target or 99 cent store, most of those people are Latino, and it's not because they are the only ones applying.

As one of my former Latino students told me point blank - and I'll never forget this: "One of our friends will get into a retail gig and then work there til they become a manager... then he only hires people from the neighborhood (all Latino)."

Try being real instead of defensive.
Try using data instead of your personal observations, and perhaps you may have a better argument.

You do realize that the city of Los Angeles is 50% Hispanic, right? So chances are the people you will run into at "cell phone stores, Wal-mart, K-mart" etc. will be Hispanic?

But your original "thesis" is that Latinos don't go to college and only "rich people" go to college, which is false. And you based your assertion on the "working class" people that you "run into".

The fact that you don't run into "college-educated Hispanics" doesn't mean that Hispanics don't go to college, no matter how hard you try to make that claim.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
Try using data instead of your personal observations, and perhaps you may have a better argument.

You do realize that the city of Los Angeles is 50% Hispanic, right? So chances are the people you will run into at "cell phone stores, Wal-mart, K-mart" etc. will be Hispanic?

But your original "thesis" is that Latinos don't go to college and only "rich people" go to college, which is false. And you based your assertion on the "working class" people that you "run into".

The fact that you don't run into "college-educated Hispanics" doesn't mean that Hispanics don't go to college, no matter how hard you try to make that claim.
So East LA and all the other Hispanic strongholds are filled with MBAs, MFAs, Ph.Ds and assorted employees from JPL? Maybe I've missed something while driving around town.

My question was whether or not there was high college enrollment from the native LA working-class population as I have worked with a lot of people and noticed that the majority of well-educated people have been white, Asian or Blacks from the middle class.

I never said Latinos don't go to college, just that the vast majority of the folks I meet in LA barely have a high-school diploma, let alone a college experience.

I also worked a few retail side jobs with Latino managers and so on, and they also talked about not going to college and how education wasn't valued in their family but a high paying job was. I worked with more than a few guys who had dropped out of high school to help their family.

I guess those are exceptions to the rule eh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or