U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 10:00 PM

614 posts, read 1,289,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luminouslc View Post
If you love sitting in traffic for hours everyday, love paying high taxes and high rent and love being around fake, weird people, then LA is the place to be!
Do you live in Los Angele or have before?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2012, 11:21 PM

51 posts, read 100,749 times
London and Los Angeles are very different. Los Angeles is definitely more business oriented than a lot of other large cities and also unlike many cities, a lot of what is in the city limits is very suburban. It has culture and entertainment, but it fits into the whole scheme of things differently than it does in London. There is something for everybody out here, I'll say that, but the perceptions built up are quiet towering compared to how the city actually is.

Old 06-17-2012, 12:36 AM

49 posts, read 126,806 times
I've traveled to London and absolutely loved it! I'm actually originally from Europe (eastern) and moved to the states as a teenager, lived most of my life in San Francisco suburbs and moved to LA for 1.5 years when I got married. LA is a love it or hate type of place it seems like. I was open to it when I moved there but never adjusted or felt at home. Like others have said it is the exact opposite of London, it doesn't have that "city" feel at all. In my opinion. If you need to go anywhere be prepared to spend a lot of time in traffic. The air is horrible, it's smoggy and yucky, and if there are fires in the hills then it's just down right nasty and hard to breath. I actually live in Pasadena which is a cute town and it was alright, but if I wanted to go to the beach or anywhere else then it's dive into traffic for goodness knows how long and when you get wherever it is you are going good luck finding parking. I felt that people are very cliquey in LA and never made any new friends there, I had a few friends from Nor Cal that were in the area and I just socialized with them. We ended up leaving for Nor Cal as soon as the opportunity presented itself. I'd recommend visiting LA before you make your final decision, and I'd suggest visiting San Francisco as well. San Francisco has more of a city feel and has much better public transportation, it is not as spread out as LA and the people in general are more open and accepting. In my opinion. SF has it's faults too, I think both cities are incredibly crowded and have tons of traffic. Weather wise I think both will feel very different to you compared to London. Both have completely dry summers, and while it rains more in SF over the winter it never snows or gets that cold, so it's still a pretty mild winter.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:59 AM

574 posts, read 1,208,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luminouslc View Post
If you love sitting in traffic for hours everyday, love paying high taxes and high rent and love being around fake, weird people, then LA is the place to be!

troll alert !!

Old 06-17-2012, 12:14 PM

574 posts, read 1,208,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlyly View Post
I realise this question has been asked a number of times on this board, but I don't think anyone's been quite in my situation before.

I'm currently a medical student in London, and my hometown is in Kent (not the nice part). I've just completed my 4th year of studies at my London university and I am sick to death of the city. It is crowded, expensive, the public transport drives me insane, and for all the fuss about London's culture and architecture, it leaves me uninspired.

I have recently visited Paris for the first time and I was completely blown away by the beauty of the city. I also visited New York (just for a couple hours) and the pure buzz and energy of the city had me grinning for hours! So I know it's not a case of me being insensitive to places, I just find London incredibly dull, cold and grey.

And so, in my dissatisfaction I've formed a dream over the last year to travel to LA once I graduate and to live there. The sunshine, the palm trees, the beach, the huge houses, the party lifestyle, from what I've heard and seen it seems like a friendly, exciting city that offers a great quality of life. The problem is I've never actually visited LA (London has literally sucked away all my spare money) and am unlikely to be able to until I graduate in 2 years, so I don't know whether all my ideas about the city are fact or purely fantasy?

So I guess my real question is, what is the lifestyle in LA really like? If anyone has experienced life in both cities, can you tell me how different your lives were in both places, how the people compare, and the lifestyle? And are there any doctors who work in LA? What's your quality of life like?

I would really appreciate any feedback at all. LA fascinates me right now and I'd like to know if it lives up to it's hype.
as the others have said you should visit LA first to get an idea what this city is like, i am sure you will love the city and want to live here.

Old 06-17-2012, 12:23 PM

1,846 posts, read 3,921,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *anya* View Post
I'd recommend visiting LA before you make your final decision, and I'd suggest visiting San Francisco as well. San Francisco has more of a city feel and has much better public transportation, it is not as spread out as LA and the people in general are more open and accepting. In my opinion.
Yes, SF has the city feel, but its not on the scale of London, as LA is. While it bills itself as an international city, I think this is primarily due to the tourism industry, along with the proximity to the Silicon Valley (not the city itself). It tends to have a bit of a provincial feel to it, although that can be the case for most cities in the US. Honestly, if you want purely the scale of London, but with better weather and a more relaxed culture, go with LA. If you want a European-like city, on a much much smaller scale than London, go with SF. If you're looking for a truly international US city, with an urban feel and scale of London, go with NYC.

Old 06-17-2012, 12:33 PM

13,343 posts, read 18,090,703 times
Here's a view from a Londoner: //www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...hing-brit.html

Old 06-17-2012, 02:30 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,880,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
I never been to london, but I'm assuming London doesnt get extremely hot and humid most of the year and have taco stands in every corner..
Where do you live in LA that it's hot and humid most of the year? In Carson out hottest month of the year averages less than 80F for the high and it's very rarely humid enough to be uncomfortable.

Old 06-17-2012, 02:49 PM

8 posts, read 23,332 times
I'll throw in my 2 cents. I grew up in Los Angeles, spent several summers in San Francisco, and did my intern year in New York.

6 years ago I was in my 4th year of medical school and did an away rotation in London at Chelsea-Westminster hospital. This was my 3rd time in London (the other two as a tourist).

I liked London a lot. It feels like NYC but a different flavor. Both NYC and London feel more dense. LA is very spread out. SF feels like somewhere in between. London weather sucks, I agree with that.

My friends who really like LA are outgoing people who make friends easily. LA is very spread out so it's hard to meet people . If you're not the type to mingle easily, you maybe lonely. London reminded me of college, everybody was close enough that you could easily meet up with little planning. Getting everybody together in LA is like pulling teeth. Restaurants won't seat you until the whole group is there (and somebody is always late), you can't enter the clubs until the whole group's there because the guy/girl ratio is messed up, etc, etc. Freeway traffic is the ultimate monkey wrench, sometimes you'll be 10 miles from your destination and because of the gridlock, it'll take an hour (and then you have to find parking).

Just like Kent isn't the nicest area of London, LA has really great areas and really crappy areas. Obviously the nicer places cost more. I imagine if you move here after medical school, you'll be enrolled in a residency program. Resident salaries are enough (roughly $40-50,000 before taxes) to live comfortably on but don't plan on living an extravagant lifestyle. This last statement is biased as everybody has a different definition for comfortable/extravagant. One thing I like about London was, it felt like people weren't in such a rush. In LA, everybody's hauling ass. We drive too fast, honk our horns too much, all so we can get to a location to wait in line.

Come visit LA for a week and visit all the areas. I think moving here without visiting would be a mistake. If I asked you, should I move to London without visiting, I'm sure you'd think it was a bad idea.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:04 PM

49 posts, read 126,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Where do you live in LA that it's hot and humid most of the year? In Carson out hottest month of the year averages less than 80F for the high and it's very rarely humid enough to be uncomfortable.
lol really? I find that hard to believe, the year I spent in LA the summer had almost a full month of 100+ degree weather, and the rest of the year it was mostly in the 70's and 80's. There was maybe 50 degree chill in the winter for a few weeks and then a freakish few weeks of 90's in January. And we were in South Pasadena so just a few miles away from downtown LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles