U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 07:31 PM

614 posts, read 1,289,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by *anya* View Post
lol really? I find that hard to believe, the year I spent in LA the summer had almost a full month of 100+ degree weather, and the rest of the year it was mostly in the 70's and 80's. There was maybe 50 degree chill in the winter for a few weeks and then a freakish few weeks of 90's in January. And we were in South Pasadena so just a few miles away from downtown LA.
Yes really. Carson is much closer to the ocean than Pasadena. Either way, you'll never feel discomfort from the weather being too humid in any part of LA metro. Hot and dry inland, but never humid unless theres a strong flow of monsoon moisture down from Mexico but even that is very rare.
Since you live in the bay area, you're probably very aware of the microclimates that exist in both the bay area and southern california. The temperatures fluctuate drastically depending how far inland you are. While it could be 99 degrees in Pasadena, it could be mid 70's in Santa Monica on the same day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 12:36 AM

49 posts, read 126,812 times
Well I agree that there isn't any significant humidity anywhere in Cali, but I still think it gets hotter than 80's even in coastal So Cal. We used to head to huntington beach whenever it would get hot, and while it'd be cooler it was still pretty darn hot.

Old 10-23-2012, 02:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,537 times
Even thogh I live in Las Vegas, Nevada, I recommend not going to LA. The best place to settle down in the USA is San Diego, California. Not too crowded, mostly warm, and beach access 24/7. It's much nicer than Los Angeles.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:43 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,587,791 times
It's about 40 years old, but it's still worth reading Rayner Banham's Los Angeles: The Architecture of Four Ecologies. Banham was a British architect/architecture critic who learned to drive in order to see Los Angeles more fully. The book was one of the first to take Los Angeles seriously as a city on its own terms and describe it to the world, not treat it as an inferior East Coast city. Banham came to like Los Angeles so much that he eventually moved there.

I've heard an argument that Los Angeles and London are similar in that both are so big that you don't really live in the whole city, you live in your area, your village as it were. The problem with that one, as people have been saying, is that the life you lead in your area often quite different in the two cities.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:10 AM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 11,020,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlite View Post
It's about 40 years old, but it's still worth reading Rayner Banham's Los Angeles: The Architecture of Four Ecologies. Banham was a British architect/architecture critic who learned to drive in order to see Los Angeles more fully. The book was one of the first to take Los Angeles seriously as a city on its own terms and describe it to the world, not treat it as an inferior East Coast city. Banham came to like Los Angeles so much that he eventually moved there.

I've heard an argument that Los Angeles and London are similar in that both are so big that you don't really live in the whole city, you live in your area, your village as it were. The problem with that one, as people have been saying, is that the life you lead in your area often quite different in the two cities.
That books looks great, thanks for bringing it up. Going to start reading it. I'm going to be living in LA without a car to start out, but it is true that you need to drive to explore this city fully.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:46 AM

626 posts, read 644,716 times
LA can be a city that is slow to reveal its charms and nothing is really how you think it is going to be, but that just makes it more intriguing to me. I'm not sure I could live happily anywhere else now. I lived in London for two years (and visit every 4-5 years), lived in LA for 12 years and just returned after 8 ys away.

The climate is incredible (for most of the year it is not too hot, not too cold), there is a lot of personal living space for a city of this size, the people are friendly, open, and tolerant (and very diverse, but so is London), there is great food to be found easily and at every price level (and often in unexpected places), the concentration of creative people means there is excellent theatre, music, art, film (again, at every price level), and there is a sense of energy and optimism and momentum that is uplifting and invigorating.

Yes, the traffic can be terrible and it's not the cheapest place to live, but London is worse in both respects. And yes, there are "fake" people here, but my experience has been that they are the exception rather than the rule and it's pretty easy to avoid them. There is some awful architecture, but LA is more significant for some of the truly wonderful stuff - Neutra, Schindler, Gehry, Craftsman, Mid-Century, Spanish Colonial, etc.

As a doctor, you would have little problem finding work, whatever the field, and would earn a decent salary fairly quickly. You probably should visit before you move permanently, but organize some job interviews for the same trip. You can always say no on the off-chance you find it's not the city for you.

Old 10-24-2012, 04:16 AM

671 posts, read 999,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee_56 View Post
Even thogh I live in Las Vegas, Nevada, I recommend not going to LA. The best place to settle down in the USA is San Diego, California. Not too crowded, mostly warm, and beach access 24/7. It's much nicer than Los Angeles.
Problem is SD has a much smaller economy and virtually no chance of the OP finding any work even close to his field/profession. SD is a nice place if one has something lined up, but it really is far too small for someone to come in with almost nothing and looking for work as a doctor/med profession. It's just that LA is so much larger, but the OP could work his way up the ladder and into SD years down the line.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:22 AM

29,100 posts, read 22,740,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I'm curious what you mean by this - that people have a severely bad work ethic or too much work ethic (I'm thinking the first but could be wrong).
Maybe that poster spent to much time in Vernon - it is great to get out of that place when 5:00(or whenever closing time occurs) comes.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:26 AM

29,100 posts, read 22,740,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryKerryJr View Post
Problem is SD has a much smaller economy and virtually no chance of the OP finding any work even close to his field/profession. SD is a nice place if one has something lined up, but it really is far too small for someone to come in with almost nothing and looking for work as a doctor/med profession. It's just that LA is so much larger, but the OP could work his way up the ladder and into SD years down the line.
Probally the same can be said about that posters hometown - Las Vegas.

If one is going to move to either San Diego or Las Vegas - they had better have some sort of employment lined up beforehand.

Los Angeles is a little different - there is lots of unemployment here - but if you really want to earn some money - you can find some gig that will at least pay the bills for awhile.

There is a reason why L.A. is the most dynamic economic metropolis west of the Mississippi River.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:30 AM

10,087 posts, read 13,538,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
That books looks great, thanks for bringing it up. Going to start reading it. I'm going to be living in LA without a car to start out, but it is true that you need to drive to explore this city fully.
I think it is nice to have access to a car to explore the city fully, but the best way to see the city up-close and personally is getting on the buses, subway or LRT and walking the streets. Exploring the metro area (and particularly the abundance of natural scenery) is where having a car / access to a car is critical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles