U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 03:57 PM

1 posts, read 6,231 times

Advertisements

I realise this question has been asked a number of times on this board, but I don't think anyone's been quite in my situation before.

I'm currently a medical student in London, and my hometown is in Kent (not the nice part). I've just completed my 4th year of studies at my London university and I am sick to death of the city. It is crowded, expensive, the public transport drives me insane, and for all the fuss about London's culture and architecture, it leaves me uninspired.

I have recently visited Paris for the first time and I was completely blown away by the beauty of the city. I also visited New York (just for a couple hours) and the pure buzz and energy of the city had me grinning for hours! So I know it's not a case of me being insensitive to places, I just find London incredibly dull, cold and grey.

And so, in my dissatisfaction I've formed a dream over the last year to travel to LA once I graduate and to live there. The sunshine, the palm trees, the beach, the huge houses, the party lifestyle, from what I've heard and seen it seems like a friendly, exciting city that offers a great quality of life. The problem is I've never actually visited LA (London has literally sucked away all my spare money) and am unlikely to be able to until I graduate in 2 years, so I don't know whether all my ideas about the city are fact or purely fantasy?

So I guess my real question is, what is the lifestyle in LA really like? If anyone has experienced life in both cities, can you tell me how different your lives were in both places, how the people compare, and the lifestyle? And are there any doctors who work in LA? What's your quality of life like?

I would really appreciate any feedback at all. LA fascinates me right now and I'd like to know if it lives up to it's hype.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 04:05 PM

7,141 posts, read 19,545,010 times
LA and London are polar opposites, except with one huge similarity (immigrants). otherwise it's sun vs clouds, right side vs left side, packed vs spread out, tubes vs cars, etc...

Old 06-12-2012, 05:22 PM

671 posts, read 1,916,308 times
Los Angeles definitely does not live up to its hype, but, how could it? It is one of the most overhyped cities in the world. Many people that move here from abroad are invariably disappointed, but, they expected mansions, beaches, and endless summer. You can't have that and still have a city of giant ports, small factories, and poor people.

But, Los Angeles is great, if you accept it for what it is.

I did university in London, so I've lived in both places.

So, the things in London that gave me positive energy were the nice public greenspace, the pub culture, the ease with which you could arrange a meet up with your friends, a culture of talking and hanging out, and the fact that you could be occasionally intellectual without people thinking you were being arrogant.

The things in London that gave me negative energy were the weather, the crushing expense (worse than LA), and the vague sense of purposelessness that so many people seemed to have: so many people seemed to think more about survival than about how they were going to improve themselves or their families or the world. (Sorry about this generalization.)

The things in Los Angeles that give me positive energy is the weather, the openness of the people, a sense of pragmatism where people tend to do things the easy or simple way instead of following stupid rules, and the comparitively larger living spaces as compared to London.

The negative aspects of LA include the terrible difficulty in getting around either by car or by transit, the severe work ethic, the difficulty in arranging meet-ups with your friends, the ease with which you can become a couch potato, the huge amount of ugly architecture, and how there seems to be no agreement on how we should act in public or as a society.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:09 PM

10,087 posts, read 13,551,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike121 View Post
Los Angeles definitely does not live up to its hype, but, how could it? It is one of the most overhyped cities in the world. Many people that move here from abroad are invariably disappointed, but, they expected mansions, beaches, and endless summer. You can't have that and still have a city of giant ports, small factories, and poor people.

But, Los Angeles is great, if you accept it for what it is.

I did university in London, so I've lived in both places.

So, the things in London that gave me positive energy were the nice public greenspace, the pub culture, the ease with which you could arrange a meet up with your friends, a culture of talking and hanging out, and the fact that you could be occasionally intellectual without people thinking you were being arrogant.

The things in London that gave me negative energy were the weather, the crushing expense (worse than LA), and the vague sense of purposelessness that so many people seemed to have: so many people seemed to think more about survival than about how they were going to improve themselves or their families or the world. (Sorry about this generalization.)

The things in Los Angeles that give me positive energy is the weather, the openness of the people, a sense of pragmatism where people tend to do things the easy or simple way instead of following stupid rules, and the comparitively larger living spaces as compared to London.

The negative aspects of LA include the terrible difficulty in getting around either by car or by transit, the severe work ethic, the difficulty in arranging meet-ups with your friends, the ease with which you can become a couch potato, the huge amount of ugly architecture, and how there seems to be no agreement on how we should act in public or as a society.
I'm curious what you mean by this - that people have a severely bad work ethic or too much work ethic (I'm thinking the first but could be wrong).

Old 06-12-2012, 06:49 PM

3,552 posts, read 5,714,675 times
one thing you'll have to realize is that we spell it realiZe not realiSe

Old 06-12-2012, 06:55 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,975,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
one thing you'll have to realize is that we spell it realiZe not realiSe
Bullocks!

Old 06-12-2012, 11:14 PM

671 posts, read 1,916,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I'm curious what you mean by this - that people have a severely bad work ethic or too much work ethic (I'm thinking the first but could be wrong).
Most of my friends (college educated with salaried jobs in engineering, computers, media or medicine) work very hard. The 40 hour work week usually means 45 to 50 hours for most of us. Many companies stopped hiring new employees during the bust and have just expected their employees to do more with less.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:26 AM

5,242 posts, read 11,718,445 times
LA is super sprawly. It's not really a pubs and cafes kind of place, more of a driving down the road with the top down kinda place. I'd definitely visit before committing to a move. You might like San Francisco more since it's more urban and older. It is chilly in winter and summer though, there aren't really any big urban cities in the US with warm weather. Maybe check out Australia, it might be an easier immigration ordeal than the US since you're in the commonwealth.

Old 06-13-2012, 01:21 AM

459 posts, read 623,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlyly View Post
I'm currently a medical student in London, and my hometown is in Kent (not the nice part). I've just completed my 4th year of studies at my London university and I am sick to death of the city. It is crowded, expensive, the public transport drives me insane, and for all the fuss about London's culture and architecture, it leaves me uninspired.

I have recently visited Paris for the first time and I was completely blown away by the beauty of the city. I also visited New York (just for a couple hours) and the pure buzz and energy of the city had me grinning for hours! So I know it's not a case of me being insensitive to places, I just find London incredibly dull, cold and grey.

And so, in my dissatisfaction I've formed a dream over the last year to travel to LA once I graduate and to live there. The sunshine, the palm trees, the beach, the huge houses, the party lifestyle, from what I've heard and seen it seems like a friendly, exciting city that offers a great quality of life. The problem is I've never actually visited LA (London has literally sucked away all my spare money) and am unlikely to be able to until I graduate in 2 years, so I don't know whether all my ideas about the city are fact or purely fantasy?

So I guess my real question is, what is the lifestyle in LA really like? If anyone has experienced life in both cities, can you tell me how different your lives were in both places, how the people compare, and the lifestyle? And are there any doctors who work in LA? What's your quality of life like?

I would really appreciate any feedback at all. LA fascinates me right now and I'd like to know if it lives up to it's hype.
I have been to London, and I am of course an LA resident. I suppose I could answer...

First off, LA is likely cheaper than London. I don't think you'll be too happy (or too sad) with your "just graduated" budget. See, not everyone here lives at the beach in mansions. There are nice places by the beach, but also in many other places. In other words, you're looking at the TV city. The real city is different. You will not be able to afford much, I'm assuming, although you can still get a place close to the water (within a mile or so?), at the disadvantage of it not being so nice or new. I don't want to give you an overly negative feeling about it, but it isn't a perfect utopia, either.

The lifestyle to me has always been a bit more laid back than other places, although still sharp and punctual with business. It's very different. You must be here to understand, but it's very different from London. No pubs, really, or small, tight little neighborhoods. It's more like a "5 minute drive" to get to a restaurant, really. I hope it's not too confusing. And there are TONS of doctors....whether they're hiring or not? I don't know.

Conclusion: A bit over hyped, and definitely different from London, LA is a unique place that you might like if you give it a try. It's no cake-walk paradise, but it isn't bad, either. Def. recommend a visit here first to get the feel of it.

Good luck.

Old 06-13-2012, 01:35 AM

8,205 posts, read 4,506,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
LA is super sprawly. It's not really a pubs and cafes kind of place, more of a driving down the road with the top down kinda place. I'd definitely visit before committing to a move. You might like San Francisco more since it's more urban and older. It is chilly in winter and summer though, there aren't really any big urban cities in the US with warm weather. Maybe check out Australia, it might be an easier immigration ordeal than the US since you're in the commonwealth.
Immigration shouldn't be a problem here or anywhere if the OP is in
Medical School. Every Country will accept and needs more Doctors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles