Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2012, 10:02 PM

132 posts, read 323,367 times

Advertisements

i'm thinking about moving to los angeles in august. i visited there for several months last year, and it took awhile, but it really grew on me, and now i miss it so much! i live in portland right now, and i love it here, but the lack of ambition of people here my age (late 20's), kills me. there is a lot of talent in portland, but no one seems to want to do anything with it. that's fine for them, i suppose, but i like ambition, i like motivation, i like people who dream of bigger things and actually do something to move toward those bigger things.

anyway, i stayed mostly in hollywood and west hollywood while i was there. hollywood had a weird, almost menacing vibe to it that i didn't really care for. west hollywood will probably be too expensive for me to live in (even with a roommate). what's koreatown like? as far as safety? i love the old apartment buildings in that part of town, but is it mostly immigrants? will a white (gay) guy be safe living there?

also, any thoughts on the job market? i mainly work in the service industry, i still haven't finished a degree. jobs are close to impossible to land in portland these days, is it any easier in la? any advice will be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 10:19 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,051,644 times
From what I've seen in looking for work in the last few months, the job market in LA sucks and most basic-level office jobs don't pay well at all considering how expensive rents are here. I keep seeing jobs paying like $8 to $10 an hour for office jobs, which would be ok if your rent was like $300, but rents are more like $500 to $800 a month if you're with roommates or have a small studio, and on top of that you need a car to get anywhere, which adds several hundreds of dollars a month to your budget. Frankly employers seem content to pay crappy wages and as a result only attract really uneducated people who don't do a good job. Service/retail jobs probably pay like $9 an hour if you're lucky, probably less. I wouldn't expect to get a good job quickly or easily here. You might want to look into the Bay Area, the tech job market there is really hot so the overall job market is probably easier to deal with. Rents are high but at least employers there tend to pay well, imo wages there are more in line with rents if you're living somewhere like Oakland or Berkeley. San Francisco is way too expensive now though, just within the last year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles