U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 10:41 PM

6 posts, read 39,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by King0fthehill View Post
Why would you go to SMC and live all the way in Hollywood, with a commute by Metro? I know a few Swedish girls in this situation, and it is quite miserable for them.
What happened to them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 11:01 PM

4,261 posts, read 9,010,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halia View Post
What happened to them?

I assume it just sucks because of the transit time, waiting for the bus, bus breaks down, etc.

Old 06-16-2012, 04:05 AM

6 posts, read 39,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
I assume it just sucks because of the transit time, waiting for the bus, bus breaks down, etc.
I have a month until I go to school. I'll see if the bus really sucks...
If so, I think I'm gonna buy a car and stuff

Old 06-19-2012, 12:02 PM

1,632 posts, read 2,398,110 times
Sounds like Line 4. The Line 4 from Santa Monica down Santa Monica Bl to downtown LA is the most insane bus line I have ever been on but it also runs 24 hours every few minutes.

Last year a guy a guy squeezed in the back door because the bus was so crowded. The driver refused to move until he paid. He broke out a dollar bill and it got passed all the way to the front.

Also a weekend during the day I saw a Moderator cut: see note yelling at an old man he didn't like sitting across from him. I was afraid I was going to have to jump in but he was only talk and either the old man was good at ignoring him or couldn't hear him.

Late at night it's mostly service workers and guys coming home from the gay clubs along Santa Monica Bl.

Recently a passenger killed a bus driver in West Hollywood and also someone got thrown backwards out the back door of a Santa Monica bus line in West LA suffering severe head injuries.

Last edited by Count David; 06-24-2012 at 06:00 AM.. Reason: racist reference

Old 06-19-2012, 12:17 PM

295 posts, read 389,118 times
Try to find someone to carpool with. Offer to pay for gas (shouldn't be more than what you pay for the bus). I'm sure there are other students who live near you and go to the same school. You might have to make some schedule adjustments though. There might be a message board or such at your school where you can find someone.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:38 PM

10,087 posts, read 13,538,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
Sounds like Line 4. The Line 4 from Santa Monica down Santa Monica Bl to downtown LA is the most insane bus line I have ever been on but it also runs 24 hours every few minutes.

Last year a guy a guy squeezed in the back door because the bus was so crowded. The driver refused to move until he paid. He broke out a dollar bill and it got passed all the way to the front.

Also a weekend during the day I saw a Moderator cut: see note yelling at an old man he didn't like sitting across from him. I was afraid I was going to have to jump in but he was only talk and either the old man was good at ignoring him or couldn't hear him.

Late at night it's mostly service workers and guys coming home from the gay clubs along Santa Monica Bl.

Recently a passenger killed a bus driver in West Hollywood and also someone got thrown backwards out the back door of a Santa Monica bus line in West LA suffering severe head injuries.
Just an FYI about the driver being killed - The murder happened at like 9 AM in an empty bus. It is a little confusing how the passenger got in the bus because it happened at a layover station. I believe it was the first time a Metro employee had been killed in the line of duty in decades.

All the issues I have had with crazy riders were on the 217, though they were all harmless (similar to your story, except is was a feral white guy yelling a black man).

Last edited by Count David; 06-24-2012 at 06:01 AM..

Old 06-19-2012, 06:54 PM

5,801 posts, read 5,636,286 times
Your best best for commuting from SMC to Hollywood would be via the Santa Monica #7 bus (http://www.bigbluebus.com), one of the nation's VERY best bus lines, with a stop right in front of SMC.

Take that bus to Pico & Fairfax (northeast corner, right in front of the Von's Supermarket), and then cross Pico and wait for the MTA # 217 bus (right next to Walgreens) which runs 24/7/365, and will take you up Fairfax before going east on Hollywood Blvd.

Take some headphones with you, and you'll be fine.

Old 06-23-2012, 01:50 PM

928 posts, read 851,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King0fthehill View Post
Why would you go to SMC and live all the way in Hollywood, with a commute by Metro? I know a few Swedish girls in this situation, and it is quite miserable for them.
There was a time when I rode all of the then-existing rail lines a couple of times a week, late at night. This went on for nearly a year and I never felt endangered although my journey took me through South Central. I've also never had an issue with crazy or derelict people on trains. People with nowhere else to go use the transit system as temporary shelter. My guess is that they favor buses because they can sit there literally for hours before reaching the end of the line, when they have to exit. What with trains being faster, it takes them a lot less time to run from one terminus to the other. Contrary to what Tom Cruise said in the movie Collateral, no Metrorail line runs in a circle; there's no way a corpse could sit in a train for hours, "running laps around L.A.".

To the topic starter, if you are going to SMC I urge you to consider living somewhere within the Big Blue Bus system's service area, which isn't confined to the city limits of Santa Monica. I believe SMC still provides free systemwide passes for all students, faculty, and staff. If you live in Palms or downtown Culver City you will also be in easy reach of the rail system at Culver City Station (aka Venice / Robertson)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles