Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 11:27 AM

363 posts, read 557,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
You get a way better impression of the city by taking public transportation.

It is pretty incredible the amount of Angelenos that have lived here their entire life and know close to nothing about the city.

One of my wife's younger co-workers (born and raised in LA) tried to convince her that LA has no subway. "It has some trains but none of them run underground".

But you can't visit all of those areas within 3 days on Public Transportation. That's the bigger problem. To go from Hollywood to Burbank on the RTD takes forever.

Much less going to Santa Monica from Toluca Lake. I've lived in LA and taken public transit long enough to know this. The 217 from Hollywood to Culver (or rather Washington) takes a long ass time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 11:36 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,856,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astoriahoney View Post
But you can't visit all of those areas within 3 days on Public Transportation. That's the bigger problem. To go from Hollywood to Burbank on the RTD takes forever.

Much less going to Santa Monica from Toluca Lake. I've lived in LA and taken public transit long enough to know this. The 217 from Hollywood to Culver (or rather Washington) takes a long ass time.
I think you are saying you can't really take in everything these (3-4) locations have to offer in just a couple of days. I don't think it matter how you get there. Personally, having lived in Hollywood for a year and a half now, I don't think I have seen everything there is to see even in my tiny section of LA.

One thing to note: you refer to it as the RTD... It sounds like to me the difference between the current Metro and the old RTD is pretty significant. Metro is far from perfect but from what I've heard, RTD was downright turrible.

Old 06-14-2012, 12:12 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,626,063 times
I like how some of you get the impression that I don't drive. I have a car but I choose to take public transportation to save money. I'm learning that it's not as easy as Boston but still light years ahead of Houston. I never claimed to have taken in all those cities in a short span of time, I'm just saying that I like what I see.

And I get anxious and want to see everything right away so yes I foolishly wasted gas from town to town wanting to see everything I could. I foolishly spent sixteen bucks for my fiancé and I to get to the beach from the train at NoHo and taking the 720 when we could have just drive and paid for parking. It took forever to get there.

Downtown I ate at the pantry cafe and spent too much money as my fiancé and I couldve split a meal there the portions were so big.

Surprisingly downtown LA did not remind me of New York at all in fact it almost looked like downtown Houston. There are other parts of LA that could stand in for NYC.

I like to walk ridiculous distances, I was planning to walk from Wilshire and Vermont to the beach but people told me I would be walking thirteen miles. While I used to walk eight miles daily in Boston I don't think I'm ready for 26 miles.

So I don't get what all the beef is. I know it must have sounded presumptuous to say the town is less intimidating than NYC, but I promise to fall through the cracks so I can make LA feel tougher for you guys.

Old 06-14-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
I like how some of you get the impression that I don't drive. I have a car but I choose to take public transportation to save money. I'm learning that it's not as easy as Boston but still light years ahead of Houston. I never claimed to have taken in all those cities in a short span of time, I'm just saying that I like what I see.

And I get anxious and want to see everything right away so yes I foolishly wasted gas from town to town wanting to see everything I could. I foolishly spent sixteen bucks for my fiancé and I to get to the beach from the train at NoHo and taking the 720 when we could have just drive and paid for parking. It took forever to get there.

Downtown I ate at the pantry cafe and spent too much money as my fiancé and I couldve split a meal there the portions were so big.

Surprisingly downtown LA did not remind me of New York at all in fact it almost looked like downtown Houston. There are other parts of LA that could stand in for NYC.

I like to walk ridiculous distances, I was planning to walk from Wilshire and Vermont to the beach but people told me I would be walking thirteen miles. While I used to walk eight miles daily in Boston I don't think I'm ready for 26 miles.

So I don't get what all the beef is. I know it must have sounded presumptuous to say the town is less intimidating than NYC, but I promise to fall through the cracks so I can make LA feel tougher for you guys.
Should have told you to get a day pass. 5 bucks each. That's my rule of thumb with LA, if you have to make a transfer I just get a day pass. I might end up eating a dollar but then I feel like I have the freedom to go anywhere for free.

I think when I took the bus to Santa Monica/Venice it was close to an 1.5 hour ride. When going to the beach the wife and I usually drive and just go to Malibu.

In a couple years it will be much faster/easier to reach the beach as the Expo Line will take you right there. Phase 1 kind of leaves you in a no-mans land from the current terminus in Culver City to Santa Monica.

Old 06-14-2012, 12:29 PM

363 posts, read 557,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
One thing to note: you refer to it as the RTD... It sounds like to me the difference between the current Metro and the old RTD is pretty significant. Metro is far from perfect but from what I've heard, RTD was downright turrible.
I'm an old school Los Angeleno so I know the city very well. Even after the merge to MTA.

Old 06-14-2012, 12:31 PM

I'm surprised at how the main urban center that gives you this super metro feel is not in downtown. I felt more in a big city on Wilshire and Vermont. Am I going to be discovering more of this as o trek along?

Old 06-14-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
I'm surprised at how the main urban center that gives you this super metro feel is not in downtown. I felt more in a big city on Wilshire and Vermont. Am I going to be discovering more of this as o trek along?
Westwood is kind of like that, Miracle Mile maybe too?

The thing with those two areas is they drop off to single family homes and smaller apartments pretty quick. Still high density just not lots of high rises other than on Wilshire.

Though I disagree that Koreatown is the most city-like... What part of downtown LA were you in?

Old 06-14-2012, 02:47 PM

I was near LA live on Figeroua.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:53 PM

Quote:
I was near LA live on Figeroua.
You should go north and east of there. Historic Core (Olive to Main St. north of about Olympic) is more city-like and while not really that much like NYC either, is definitely the closest you'll get in LA. Pretty much all 10-15 story buildings. Like this: downtown, los angeles, ca - Google Maps

Get off at 7th Street/Metro Center or Pershing Square and walk to Little Tokyo (Alameda and 1st). I think that would give you a better idea of what DTLA is about.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:18 PM

1,798 posts, read 3,021,035 times
Quote:
I probably spoke too soon but I've been to Downtown, Santa Monica, NOHO, Burbank, Glendale and Hollywood. All in three days.

Point is, it wasn't this gigantic culture wow shock factor like NYC. I didn't mean any disrespect, just that it's not that far off as a town from where I came from.
Quit calling it a town bro, it's the second largest CITY in the US. But then I guess in your two days there you've mastered the quaint little town that it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles