U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 11:13 AM

2,720 posts, read 4,889,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
That's what people were trying to tell you in your other fearful posts. lol
You guys were right all along. I really want to Los Felix next. I hear they have good live music.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 11:18 AM

1,621 posts, read 2,351,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
I like how some of you get the impression that I don't drive. I have a car but I choose to take public transportation to save money. I'm learning that it's not as easy as Boston but still light years ahead of Houston. I never claimed to have taken in all those cities in a short span of time, I'm just saying that I like what I see.

And I get anxious and want to see everything right away so yes I foolishly wasted gas from town to town wanting to see everything I could. I foolishly spent sixteen bucks for my fiancé and I to get to the beach from the train at NoHo and taking the 720 when we could have just drive and paid for parking. It took forever to get there.

Downtown I ate at the pantry cafe and spent too much money as my fiancé and I couldve split a meal there the portions were so big.

Surprisingly downtown LA did not remind me of New York at all in fact it almost looked like downtown Houston. There are other parts of LA that could stand in for NYC.

I like to walk ridiculous distances, I was planning to walk from Wilshire and Vermont to the beach but people told me I would be walking thirteen miles. While I used to walk eight miles daily in Boston I don't think I'm ready for 26 miles.

So I don't get what all the beef is. I know it must have sounded presumptuous to say the town is less intimidating than NYC, but I promise to fall through the cracks so I can make LA feel tougher for you guys.
i'm enjoying your thread! and it amazes me that anybody posts much of anything in here with all the nasty comments, assumptions, and seriously stupid remarks. i lived in l.a. for a few years in the 70's and have not been back much since. i'm sure it has changed quite a bit! i kind of had to laugh when you mentioned the old 80's buildings as they would not have been there in my "era". not sure i would like it there now. way too many immigrants and crowds and smog. but it was fun then! santa monica and the scenery there will always be awesome.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:22 AM

614 posts, read 1,289,332 times
^
Most definitely a lot more crowded and more immigrants compared to back then. Smog & air quality wise though, it's definitely not as bad as it was in the 70's.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:41 AM

1,621 posts, read 2,351,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightscape View Post
^
Most definitely a lot more crowded and more immigrants compared to back then. Smog & air quality wise though, it's definitely not as bad as it was in the 70's.
i honestly can't remember much about the smog back then. i was living in the inland empire from 2001-2005 though and driving through san gabriel valley i would see a lot. it seems like the air would clear fairly well closer to the coast. some years in the bay area were bad but mostly not. it didn't seem bad where i was in wildomar, but going either north or south it was awful.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:20 PM

4,155 posts, read 4,643,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
if LA looks "old" and "retro" what does that make the east coast?

I'm not sure if agree about the class divide. LA is actually notorious for people who don't have a lot of money to look like they do.

The LA look is not preppy. Its a either a little flashier, a little more showing of skin/figure or both.

you can get to the south Bay by rail. They are currently in the begining stages of building the light rail to Santa Monica.
I was reminded of this in a couple of airports yesterday. LA locals take a lot of (largely) unwarranted heat for their dress and general baggishness. But Good Lordy, at least our DBs aren't preppy. Simply disgusting. Nor does this city cultivate the mullet of men's fashion: blazer with blue jeans and boots. All business up top, all s*** kicker bellow the Budweiser belt buckle. Mid West and South: feel shame.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:41 PM

16,613 posts, read 34,655,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
Yeah with the exception of the Hollywood industry and the gorgeous scenery, there is nothing exceptional about LA.
You're going to regret posting this after a mere two days in town.

Can I say town?

Old 06-15-2012, 01:02 PM

8 posts, read 45,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Should have told you to get a day pass. 5 bucks each. That's my rule of thumb with LA, if you have to make a transfer I just get a day pass. I might end up eating a dollar but then I feel like I have the freedom to go anywhere for free.

I think when I took the bus to Santa Monica/Venice it was close to an 1.5 hour ride. When going to the beach the wife and I usually drive and just go to Malibu.

In a couple years it will be much faster/easier to reach the beach as the Expo Line will take you right there. Phase 1 kind of leaves you in a no-mans land from the current terminus in Culver City to Santa Monica.
had to create an account just to refute that Culver City is "no-man's land". Lots of good cafes/restaurants on Culver and Main, plus Sony Studios, Baldwin Hills lookout, and good bicycling

maybe you're referring to a public transportation no-mans land... to which I can't really speak..., but it sure seems like a lot of buses are on venice blvd to venice beach.

the robertson station opens this week and downtown culver city is worth checking out.

Old 06-15-2012, 01:11 PM

10,087 posts, read 13,535,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA-Blue View Post
had to create an account just to refute that Culver City is "no-man's land". Lots of good cafes/restaurants on Culver and Main, plus Sony Studios, Baldwin Hills lookout, and good bicycling

maybe you're referring to a public transportation no-mans land... to which I can't really speak..., but it sure seems like a lot of buses are on venice blvd to venice beach.

the robertson station opens this week and downtown culver city is worth checking out.
Of course Culver City isn't a no-man's land - plenty of great stuff there!

I sort of meant connecting to Santa Monica from Culver City on public transportation. I think from the Culver City Expo stop you would still be looking at two bus transfers to get to Santa Monica.

I would imagine the Culver City station on the Expo line has decent connections down Venice Blvd to Venice.

Old 06-15-2012, 01:18 PM

4,155 posts, read 4,643,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
I've been here for many years, and I will 2nd the statement that there are very few exceptional things about LA.

Weather and geographical scenery are about the only things that make my list. I used to hold the high level of staffing talent up there, but that has declined recently.
And film and TV. Add home to exceptional universities. And the cultural consequences of its being the only megalopolis situated in a Mediterranean climate, giving it a unique quality in its globally recognized music, fashion, art, design, research, cuisine, attracting creative individuals and entrepreneurs from all over the world, creating a stew of incredibly complex ethnic, cultural and linguistic diversity spanning hundreds of interlocking locales arranged like nowhere else yet perpetually in the process of transforming themselves.

But all that notwithstanding, you're inability to secure "staffing talent" makes the place "unexceptional". Excuse me, but

Old 06-15-2012, 01:53 PM

3,162 posts, read 8,851,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
And film and TV. Add home to exceptional universities. And the cultural consequences of its being the only megalopolis situated in a Mediterranean climate, giving it a unique quality in its globally recognized music, fashion, art, design, research, cuisine, attracting creative individuals and entrepreneurs from all over the world, creating a stew of incredibly complex ethnic, cultural and linguistic diversity spanning hundreds of interlocking locales arranged like nowhere else yet perpetually in the process of transforming themselves.

But all that notwithstanding, you're inability to secure "staffing talent" makes the place "unexceptional". Excuse me, but
You're welcome to " " all you want, but the well documented flight of small, medium and large corporations from CA begs to differ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles