U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 03:04 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,541,667 times

Advertisements

LA is exceptional. making a statement like that after only a week or so is very short sided and conducive to crow eating. having said that - welcome to LA. you have much more to see. you havent been to long beach yet. or pasadena. you havent even hit the eastside of town (oops) yet. and what about the southside? much more awaits you.

with regards to downtown. its a great place, but judging it based on LA Live is also not a good gauge. i suggest a drink at the standard rooftop. or perch. that will give you a better feel of what dtla is like.

as for the "dress code" of people. its not preppy, although there are preps here. its not trashy, although there are trashy people here. its varied. downtown m-f will be suits and busboy outfits. hollywood weekends will be scantily clad women, meat heads and ferraris. pasadena anytime will be pearls and pumps. the image conscious areas are limited. they exist (on the westside, in hollywood) but dont dominate the city. its very much a live and let live vibe. vibe not attitude.

also, taking PT has its limits. i ride the bus/train daily. within central LA (213/323) it is easy to get around. in the outter areas it isnt as easy. also getting from place to place can take a while, but PT does give you a better perspective of the city. thats LA for you.

anyhow, i encourage you to continue exploring the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 03:16 PM

4,155 posts, read 4,643,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
You're welcome to " " all you want, but the well documented flight of small, medium and large corporations from CA begs to differ.

Thank you, I'll Have Another . (A horse with a local ownership, BTW.)

If your definition is limited exclusively to corporate presence, I guess archetypes of global consciousness, like Houston and Atlanta, are truly exceptional, whereas Los Angeles is not. A slightly more broad definition would consider:

Los Angeles has the second highest concentration of immigrant small business owners among metropolitan areas — 44%, one percentage point behind Miami.
California leads U.S. in immigrant entrepreneurship, study finds - latimes.com

Its also a place where businesses do exceptional things:
Hawthorne Company's Dragon Spacecraft Makes Space History | NBC Los Angeles

Its also an exceptional place to start up:
Startup Genome: Top 25 Cities for Launching Startups

But again, all these are only expressions of commerce, and commerce only.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:11 PM

2,720 posts, read 4,889,417 times
So far I take back what I said about LA not being exceptional. It has so many different towns that look do vastly different from each other. Culver City on Wilshire reminded me of a southern European resort town. Burbank is like an all Anerican town. Downtown LA and koreatown like NYC. The beaches look amazing abd stand out as their own thing.

There were spots in LA that reminded me of Italian villas and I literally felt like I was in Southern Europe. This city is amazing.

Someone tell me about Los Feliz. Also the locals sound like they're calling it Los Felix.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:24 AM

129 posts, read 200,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
You're welcome to " " all you want, but the well documented flight of small, medium and large corporations from CA begs to differ.
I'm assuming you mean the documented flight to the Midwest at least in High Tech this is another perspective that aligns with the fact that CA continues to be progressive and having a company in CA is productive regardless of cost. Austin (tech hub) is a perfect example of where companies are moving to but is it ideal?

“Why I Moved My Company to California”

Old 06-22-2012, 01:56 PM

Why didn't anyone warn me LA is super laid back? My fiancé came back from an interview and said that she felt way overdressed for the job because there were men and women who wore tennis shoes, jeans, too much makeup, not enough makeup, didn't cover their tattoos, etc. This was for administrative work too. Another job for a call center she applied to had people dressed even less for the position. At first she didn't want to judge because she thought that some of the candidates just didn't have the money for suits or ties but then up to a point it just got ridiculous at how some of the interviewees just didn't care.

Just to point out, this is not a complaint what so ever. This is just a culture shock story that we find amusing and are quite relieved at how anti-stuffy a lot of LA is.

Everything takes just a little longer we've noticed because the vibe is just a little more laid back than Texas where it's almost NYC fast labor pace without the high pay or ability to unionize.

The leasing office at my apt lady is never in her office. There is always a sign saying she will be back at X time bit she's never back! That would never happen in TX! Even in the dumpiest apartment complex they always have a leasing agent posted to greet a potential. And I live in a nice place. LOL!

Every where I go I feel like I'm overdressed and have only one pair of shorts. So I'm rocking Izods and jeans with New Balance shoes all the time, I feel like a douche.

Where did this whole NYC of the West thing start because LA is nothing like NYC which is unbearably stuffy and insufferable by comparison to LA. I love LA's vibe and while the slower service and WAY laid back attitude will get done getting used to, I'm loving this city.

Also, does overdoing at a job interview kill tour chances if you just come in dressed up to the nines, act super intellectual almost introvert, and showcase degrees and experience here? My fiancé said the guy interviewing her didn't even wear a tie. He was pretty much wearing an outfit you can rock with a pair of sandals. Mind you thus wasnt DTLA, both interviews were in Hollywood.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:46 PM

10,087 posts, read 13,535,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
Also, does overdoing at a job interview kill tour chances if you just come in dressed up to the nines, act super intellectual almost introvert, and showcase degrees and experience here? My fiancé said the guy interviewing her didn't even wear a tie. He was pretty much wearing an outfit you can rock with a pair of sandals. Mind you thus wasnt DTLA, both interviews were in Hollywood.
The last job interview I had I was overdressed too. I didn't get the job but I doubt it had anything to do with what I was wearing. I've been overdressed for an interview in Boston too

My wife's office is constantly hiring admin workers (it's a terrible place to work for them ) - she says people are always coming in dressed in T-shirts and shorts and flip flops... Those people never get the job. You fiance is doing the right (and safe) thing by over dressing. I think it is rare in any part of the country that people will judge in an interview for being overdressed, especially if you don't come off as being stuffy in the interview.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:58 PM

13,343 posts, read 18,090,703 times
The interviewer can dress however they want. The interviewee needs to look and dress professionally.

"Izods and jeans with New Balance shoes"? Save the NB for running, get some sandals or canvas shoes and you'll be fine.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:07 PM

3,162 posts, read 8,851,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
The interviewer can dress however they want. The interviewee needs to look and dress professionally.

"Izods and jeans with New Balance shoes"? Save the NB for running, get some sandals or canvas shoes and you'll be fine.
Absolutely. The interviewer will be dressed per company culture and the interviewee should be dressed per interview culture (full business attire).

Old 06-22-2012, 05:30 PM

That makes sense.

Old 06-22-2012, 06:15 PM

418 posts, read 1,583,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post

Where did this whole NYC of the West thing start
It hasn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles