Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which place do you like more?
Pasadena 12 54.55%
Culver City 10 45.45%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 01:23 AM

270 posts, read 834,484 times

Advertisements

If the commute was not an issue, which area would you rather live in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 06:32 AM

5,951 posts, read 13,031,674 times
Pasadena definitely has a LOT more to do than Culver City, but Culver is a little more centrally located to all of what LA has to offer, (including if you want to go to Pasadena).

Pasadena has its college-town like atmosphere, with Colorado Blvd that is absolutely hopping, beautiful historic architecture, (Pasadena city hall is gorgeous), cultural amenities (museums like Norton Simon, Pacific Asia, Huntington) parades (Doo dah, obviously the Rose), proximity to outdoor activities being a stone throw from the mountains (Eaton Canyon is packed though, just go west to La Canada to take the Angeles Crest up to the mountains). Gold line to downtown.

However, with Pasadena you are far from a lot of the stuff going on the west side, and the beaches. Although there are some neat communities to check out. Alhambra for Asian cuisine for example. If you need shopping to do, the Glendale Galleria has everything.

Culver has a great little%

Old 07-01-2012, 11:02 AM

3,431 posts, read 5,201,768 times
I don't even get why people are into Culver City. We recently spent some time in both Pasadena and Culver City, and Pasadena is scenic, has tons of museums, gorgeous neighborhoods, and a vibrant neighborhood, and CC seems like a total dump by comparison. The neighborhoods are chintzy, the downtown is small and nothing to write home about. They don't even seem in the same league. I'd never want to go back to CC but I love Pasadena.

Old 07-01-2012, 11:49 AM

40 posts, read 144,179 times
Pasadena for sure. Oh and if you are gonna rent, find a Caltrans owned 710 house and pay half of what you would pay for rent and live in one of the nicest areas of Pasadena.

Old 07-01-2012, 11:57 AM

23,266 posts, read 23,628,070 times
Pasadena, for the cultural amenities.

Old 07-01-2012, 12:09 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,967,676 times
I used to live in Pasadena. Never lived in Culver City but used to work there. Pasadena by a long shot for the same reasons stated by the previous posters.

Old 07-01-2012, 01:17 PM

5,951 posts, read 13,031,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
I don't even get why people are into Culver City. We recently spent some time in both Pasadena and Culver City, and Pasadena is scenic, has tons of museums, gorgeous neighborhoods, and a vibrant neighborhood, and CC seems like a total dump by comparison. The neighborhoods are chintzy, the downtown is small and nothing to write home about. They don't even seem in the same league. I'd never want to go back to CC but I love Pasadena.
Apparently the rest of my post got cut off, just as I was going to talk about Culver City. I've been having problems with my wifi this morning.

While I agree with the others about how awesome Pasadena is, I think you are being a bit harsh on Culver City. Saying its a total dump by comparison is going a bit far. There are some dumpy areas nearby. I think the commercial stretch along Venice is visually unappealing as some other stretches, but it does have Sony Studios, the downtown is nice, although nothing like Pasadena, overall I feel it is safe, diverse community.

I would say the one advantage Culver City has over Pasadena is that CC is a little more centrally located to all parts of LA. If you are close the 405 and the 10, you can pretty much get anywhere in LA.

I do go walking/hiking in the Baldwin Hills which has great views of the city from atop. You are closer to the beach, and the only remaining coastal wetlands in LA (Ballona).

Overall Pasadena taken by itself blows away CC (in addition to being right by the mountains. , but CC overall has its good qualities and you are close to some amenities (cooler in summer/closer to the beach).

I would be perfectly happy and lucky to be in either.

Old 07-01-2012, 03:56 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,831,264 times
One thing I really dislike about CC is the constant, omnipresent traffic. Like much of the Westside, there are just cars everywhere. It's hard to get away from them.

Pasadena is much less congested and has a much more relaxing environment.

Old 07-01-2012, 10:43 PM

8 posts, read 54,331 times
Pasadena is 3x bigger than Culver City... so its not really an apples to apples comparison in terms of overall amenities.
anyways.

weather: culver city (cool ocean breeze).
transit: pasadena? tie? culver city just opened up its expo light rail station so that's evened things out a little bit.
mayberry feel: pasadena
diversity: if you include the venice corridor, culver city has a pretty unique plurality of ethnicities contributing to culver city's cultural vibe... beyond LA's typical white/hispanic duality
downtowns: pasadena i guess, just because its bigger. Tho CC has some great restaurants/brewpubs/nightlife too.
house for your money: no idea. CC is expensive tho... seems to be running around $600+ per square foot.
noise: definitely pasadena. it blows, but many of CC's nice neighborhoods get constant noise from the 405 as the above poster mentioned

bottom line: I love CC, but Pasadena has its own merits. the bashing of CC above by comparing it to the mall or by driving down Venice Blvd is like coming to a conclusion about LA by driving along the 10.

Old 07-01-2012, 11:34 PM

120 posts, read 478,252 times
pasadena is probably more livable to the average person...... but culver city is much much much much more in demand than pasadena. the entire westside from westchester/playa del rey all the way to santa monica/westwood is astronomical in price. ridiculous
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles