U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-13-2012, 08:54 AM
 
2,720 posts, read 4,889,417 times
Reputation: 1303

Advertisements

Well I finally made it to LA and I love it so far. It's definitely an eclectic town. It reminds me a lot of Houston only with a ton of scenery.

First I have to ask why are whole sections of this town stuck in the 80's? The buildings looks like they haven't been renovated for twenty years and there is a huge retro look to the town. Everyone keeps telling me that I live in the nicest part of NoHo bordering Burbank but while the area doesn't look ghetto, it does look really old. I guess I just have to adjust to what's considered nice in LA.

I love the mix of food, the relatively low cost of it, as I've noticed mostly gas and rent seem to be the big killers here. The metro rail was exciting and it reminds me of the T in Boston.

This might be a ridiculous thing to say but I feel like one of the taller people in this town which is a big switch from Texas where I was pretty average. At 5'11 ,6'0 with shoes I didn't feel like the shortest guy in the room like I did in Houston.

There is a noticeable class divide unlike I have ever seen before. Even worse than NYC. This is a town where you clearly know who has money and who doesn't. I feel bad because a lot of people here look spent.

I over dressed for this town too. I pictured it so much to look like Manhattan that I only brought my best clothes and everywhere I go people stare at me (in NOHO) like I'm a northeastern transplant or wandered off from Pepperdine. Point is, I look super douchey preppy. I need to just buy some shorts and t shirts.

I've been here three days and still haven't seen the beach yet which I will do today. Is there a way to get to the beach or as close as you can to to the beach on the rail? I do not mind walking the rest of the way even if it is a few miles.

So far it's been great and the town isn't as intimidating as I thought. It's not NYC on the West Coast like I thought. It's really just another town. A cool town, no doubt, but nothing too our of the ordinary besides the gorgeous scenery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-13-2012, 10:25 AM
 
Location: Declezville, CA
16,613 posts, read 34,655,635 times
Reputation: 16957
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
It's not NYC on the West Coast
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2012, 10:40 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles
614 posts, read 1,289,332 times
Reputation: 664
Take the red line down to wilshire/vermont or wilshire/western and from there you can take the bus straight down wilshire to santa monica. Welcome to Los Angeles!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2012, 10:40 AM
 
Location: Pasadena, CA
10,087 posts, read 13,535,786 times
Reputation: 3999
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
Well I finally made it to LA and I love it so far. It's definitely an eclectic town. It reminds me a lot of Houston only with a ton of scenery.

First I have to ask why are whole sections of this town stuck in the 80's? The buildings looks like they haven't been renovated for twenty years and there is a huge retro look to the town. Everyone keeps telling me that I live in the nicest part of NoHo bordering Burbank but while the area doesn't look ghetto, it does look really old. I guess I just have to adjust to what's considered nice in LA.

I love the mix of food, the relatively low cost of it, as I've noticed mostly gas and rent seem to be the big killers here. The metro rail was exciting and it reminds me of the T in Boston.
The gas here is absurdly expensive, which is why I avoid driving at all costs Unfortunately the nature of my wife's job requires she drive a lot and very far distances. (Politically/policy wise, I think expensive gas is a good thing, but personally it's killing us!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
I over dressed for this town too. I pictured it so much to look like Manhattan that I only brought my best clothes and everywhere I go people stare at me (in NOHO) like I'm a northeastern transplant or wandered off from Pepperdine. Point is, I look super douchey preppy. I need to just buy some shorts and t shirts.
I usually just go out in shorts and a T shirt. I will say that I dress nicer in LA than I did in Boston.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
I've been here three days and still haven't seen the beach yet which I will do today. Is there a way to get to the beach or as close as you can to to the beach on the rail? I do not mind walking the rest of the way even if it is a few miles.
Unfortunately getting to the beach is kind of time consuming right now... I think the best bet is take the Red Line to Wilshire/Vermont, get off and hop on a 720 Rapid Bus and it will take you directly to downtown Santa Monica.

Or this (never taken the Big Blue Bus express so I have no idea how much it is): Unknown road to Santa Monica, CA - Google Maps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2012, 10:52 AM
 
2,720 posts, read 4,889,417 times
Reputation: 1303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Thank you.
Yeah with the exception of the Hollywood industry and the gorgeous scenery, there is nothing exceptional about LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2012, 10:54 AM
 
Location: Declezville, CA
16,613 posts, read 34,655,635 times
Reputation: 16957
Charming. When are you leaving, dear?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2012, 10:56 AM
 
2,720 posts, read 4,889,417 times
Reputation: 1303
Another thing I've noticed is that the people here are super nice. I've yet to meet a complete hole. LA folk are nicer than even Texans which I found the most surprising.

Is this normal for LA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2012, 10:59 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles
614 posts, read 1,289,332 times
Reputation: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
Yeah with the exception of the Hollywood industry and the gorgeous scenery, there is nothing exceptional about LA.
You've been here for how long?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2012, 11:00 AM
 
2,720 posts, read 4,889,417 times
Reputation: 1303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Charming. When are you leaving, dear?
Never, I love it. The fact that it's not NYC West Coast like I thought, is the best thing about this town. It's a town with ample opportunities, stuff to do and gorgeous scenery, without the rude East Coast vibe, the super expensive food and stuff, and that intimidating feel that you're not good enough like NYC. The town makes you want to get out and try!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2012, 11:02 AM
 
7,563 posts, read 3,719,649 times
Reputation: 4177
Well it is NYC if you split up all the building's floors and laid them all next to each other horizontally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top