Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 10:39 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,114,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic59 View Post
Of course, you are welcome to your opinion.
However, there are those of us who would very much prefer that Los Angeles learn from cities like NYC and Chicago by NOT DOING what they did. We appreciate and enjoy the differences that Los Angeles offers. If we lose what Los Angeles has to offer , where can we replace it?
Others can always go to NYC or Chicago to find filth, overcrowding, bland concrete buildings, lack of sunlight, minimal green spaces, no ocean, severe income disparity, nanny mayors, etc.
FWIW, I have been to the top of the World Trade Center and the Empire State building, and worked in Manhattan for many years and still prefer the view and surroundings of Griffith Park, WeHo, Santa Monica, etc. and even Downtown as it is.
I understand. We still will cruise the boulevards, we still will have palm trees, sunlight, and beaches.

And bland buildings? I think LA is one of the worse offenders here, but I blame the 70's and 80's architecture and the LAFD for that. It's a good thing that the buildings line up nicely though with the U.S. bank in the middle.

NYC is beautiful, aswell as Chicago. It looks amazing.
As far as skyscrapers go, L.A. can use more. And only to fill in the parking lots. LA already has a skyline, and I think it deserves some recognition for it. Afterall, L.A. has just about any type of area you can think of. Might as well have a mini Manhattan included. Then there is filling in the Wilshire corridor aswell. I just think L.A. has alot of potential to rival other cities in that aspect.

Car culture isn't bad. Who doesn't like cars? But we need to be more moderate.

What NYC does right:

Transit and walkability.

Implement these in LA, then you got more people walking, meaning a rise in better health, less smog, less antisocial people, less traffic on the streets and freeways, less accidents, even less of that whole class divide between who owns a car and who doesn't. You dont have to feel poor not owning a car. Owning a car should be an option in a city.

No matter what, LA will always be L.A.

Even if it gets crowded with sky scrapers, it would still be L.A because much of it would still by what NYC isn't. A warm climate with beaches, taco vendors, in and out, palm trees and mountains.

My biggest gripe about L.A. is Hollywood. I dont hate it but I hate that it doesn't really respect the city of L.A.

Watch on youtube "Los Angeles Plays Itself" and you will see what I mean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 11:43 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,243,100 times
It's not about trying to copy NY or Chicago. It's just about seeing the views from LA's tallest bldg. I'm sure the views are awesome. Quite a few cities have it in their tallest dt structures, why can't LA?

Old 06-14-2012, 11:58 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,856,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
It's not about trying to copy NY or Chicago. It's just about seeing the views from LA's tallest bldg. I'm sure the views are awesome. Quite a few cities have it in their tallest dt structures, why can't LA?
I guess lets hold out hope for the Wilshire Grand - I believe they are going to start construction very soon, so exciting!

When I lived in Boston they constructed a new tower along the waterfront where I worked... Watching a highrise get built slowly but surely is almost as awesome as enjoying it after it is completed!

Old 06-14-2012, 05:53 PM

1,607 posts, read 1,944,482 times
Perhaps the U.S. Bank building was built for the specific purpose of conducting business and commerce, and not tours.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:21 PM

573 posts, read 1,361,083 times
the Wilshire grand hopefully LA's tallest at 70 floors will not have an observation deck but even better it wil have the hotel lobby, infinity pool, and bars/Restraunts on the top floor with breathtaking view. Observation decks do have beautiful views but thats all about it.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:28 PM

215 posts, read 490,943 times
One thing to remember is that Los Angeles is in the top ten cities in the us by number of skyscrapers, they just aren't all in one area. Also a city ordinance which made it impossible to build high rises in the Hollywood District was just removed. So LA is increasing the number of skyscrapers, but there will still be enough land area to make sure we don't get dominated by skyscrapers. Best of both worlds + the ocean = Unbeatable.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:31 PM

573 posts, read 1,361,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockfan86 View Post
One thing to remember is that Los Angeles is in the top ten cities in the us by number of skyscrapers, they just aren't all in one area. Also a city ordinance which made it impossible to build high rises in the Hollywood District was just removed. So LA is increasing the number of skyscrapers, but there will still be enough land area to make sure we don't get dominated by skyscrapers. Best of both worlds + the ocean = Unbeatable.
According to Skyscraperpage LA is only third in the nation only down to NVY and Chicago in number of Skyscrapers.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:47 PM

215 posts, read 490,943 times
I knew it was up there, wasn't sure the exact number.

Thank you, Jorge.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:11 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,856,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockfan86 View Post
Heh?

There are already skyscrapers here and have been for some time.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:14 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,114,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorge112597 View Post
the Wilshire grand hopefully LA's tallest at 70 floors will not have an observation deck but even better it wil have the hotel lobby, infinity pool, and bars/Restraunts on the top floor with breathtaking view. Observation decks do have beautiful views but thats all about it.
My only gripe about it is how simple the shape is. I wish I had setbacks like the US Bank.

Gonna be alittle sad to see the US bank lose it's place in the skyline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles