U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 07:44 PM

3,162 posts, read 8,854,850 times

Advertisements

Chicano3000X, what do you do for a living?

You seem to do an awful lot of bitching about skyscraper design, fire codes, city planning, etc - why not become an expert in any of the above fields and actually make a lasting impression, rather than gripe online about things that no one here can actually change?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 08:24 PM

491 posts, read 2,091,072 times
That building is not a tourist destination, and neither is downtown L.A. DTLA is the last place I would take anyone who visits. Actually it's not even on the list.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:17 PM

215 posts, read 434,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Heh?

There are already skyscrapers here and have been for some time.
Yes, and it took a ridiculous amount of red tape for each of those to get done. With one of the difficult "hoops" removed from the process, developers will be more inclined to build more.

Here is the article from LA Times for you to read: Hollywood gazes into the future and sees skyscrapers - Los Angeles Times

Old 06-15-2012, 04:20 AM

5,494 posts, read 13,315,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureHapa View Post
That building is not a tourist destination, and neither is downtown L.A. DTLA is the last place I would take anyone who visits. Actually it's not even on the list.
Not everyone that comes to LA wants to see the same old tourist trap places. In fact the first thing my cousin wanted to see was the USBank Tower, Disney Hall and to see a Laker game.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:50 AM

7,690 posts, read 3,751,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
Chicano3000X, what do you do for a living?

You seem to do an awful lot of bitching about skyscraper design, fire codes, city planning, etc - why not become an expert in any of the above fields and actually make a lasting impression, rather than gripe online about things that no one here can actually change?
I'm not mad. I know they will actually change. Right now I'm going to school to be a digital artist. I usually like to design cities. Mainly futuristic ones. Overeall I'm trying to be either a game designer or a vfx artist. Architecture has recently caught my eye though.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureHapa View Post
It was in the 30's.

They are reviving it for a reason. Notice how alot of people like to take pics of the US Bank?

Old 06-15-2012, 09:10 AM

269 posts, read 707,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
I heard that it is very restricted.

Chicago has the Sears Tower, NYC has the Empire State, LA has the U.S. bank.

However, L.A. seems to have no pride in it. Why don't they create a good observation deck with a museum built in?
Maybe there's not enough money in it for the company who owns it? Who would want peasants walking around your palace touching everything and gawking at stuff with their beady little eyes and such...

Old 06-15-2012, 09:48 AM

10,087 posts, read 13,542,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockfan86 View Post
Yes, and it took a ridiculous amount of red tape for each of those to get done. With one of the difficult "hoops" removed from the process, developers will be more inclined to build more.

Here is the article from LA Times for you to read: Hollywood gazes into the future and sees skyscrapers - Los Angeles Times
This will make building medium-sized skyscrapers a little easier in a few select locations (Vine corridor and the Red Line route). It is the Hollywood Community Specific Plan, and it hasn't actually been brought into effect yet... there is loud opposition against it, though it seems as if the vast majority of Hollywood residents do in fact support it.

I've actually read the Community Plan - it is not quite what some in the media are making it out to be. It is more about building high-density, mid-rise development ala the Hollywood/Vine Apartments. It also includes design aesthetics and increasing the focus on sidewalks and pedestrian friendliness. It is much more about those things than building high-rises.

Check this thread (from the same OP as this thread): //www.city-data.com/forum/urban...bout-city.html

Old 06-15-2012, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexanderaf View Post
Maybe there's not enough money in it for the company who owns it? Who would want peasants walking around your palace touching everything and gawking at stuff with their beady little eyes and such...
I'd think they'd make money with souvenirs and tourist tickets. The company and the city can work together.

The city seems to be really out of touch with ordinary people. I wonder if they realize just how much admiration the building gets.

I know it's an office building, but isn't the Sears Tower for business too? But they don't shut out the people, they encourage them to come in and learn and admire the history.

Sounds like it would be a job for Wilshire Grand Tower then.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:59 PM

574 posts, read 1,208,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockfan86 View Post
I knew it was up there, wasn't sure the exact number.

Thank you, Jorge.
you are welcome, glad to help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles