U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-20-2012, 03:36 PM
 
Location: Bay Area, Calif.
2,431 posts, read 2,942,646 times
Reputation: 2589

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Honestly I don't know why... probably because LA doesn't really pride itself on high-rises the way that Chicago/NYC are seemingly obsessed with the things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
But they have em'. Might aswell be proud. The observatory sits on a mountain, while it's nice, man didn't build the mountain. I guess the Wilshire Tower will make up for that in the future. Hope it inspires more architects to come to L.A. But keep old Downtown intact. Fix it but don't destroy it. They need to fill in those parking lots though. Those are all invitations for city planners. And someone needs to tell the nimby's to F*Off!
And it might also be that those sities on the other end of the country are more vertical as L.A. is known for being a laid back horizontal sprawl. Not sure if that is a bragging point. But it sure is one way that L.A. stands on its own as unabashedly different from East Coast style.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-20-2012, 05:35 PM
 
Location: L.A./O.C.
574 posts, read 1,208,694 times
Reputation: 176
i searched it up and the rotating restauraunt is called Bonavista lounge in the 34 floor of the bonaventure hotel in DTLA, also the Sharaton in DTLA and Rennaissance Hotel in hollywood had a rotating restraunt in the past in those circular parts of the upper towers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2012, 04:09 PM
 
Location: Boulder Creek, CA
9,197 posts, read 14,478,920 times
Reputation: 6333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinionated View Post
And it might also be that those sities on the other end of the country are more vertical as L.A. is known for being a laid back horizontal sprawl. Not sure if that is a bragging point. But it sure is one way that L.A. stands on its own as unabashedly different from East Coast style.
We wouldn't want to block out the warm L.A. sun, would we?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2012, 11:16 AM
 
7,687 posts, read 3,751,520 times
Reputation: 4245
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
We wouldn't want to block out the warm L.A. sun, would we?
You wouldn't have to. The smog already does that .

Nah but seriously, I dont really view LA's future as all skyscrapers.
And even if it did, most would be in every downtown and we'd still have big spots for sunshine.

I mostly see mid to high rises. Probably only about a 3rd as tall as the US bank. But the majority midrise.

What I hope is that downtown is up there with the rest of the cities in terms of being more than a run down buisiness area. Have it the same quality as downtown Chicago. FIll in the parking lots with new skyscrapers leave old downtown alone and just clean her up, fix skid row and bring back the street cars.


I wanna see downtown in a 2nd golden age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2012, 11:19 PM
 
Location: L.A./O.C.
574 posts, read 1,208,694 times
Reputation: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
You wouldn't have to. The smog already does that .

Nah but seriously, I dont really view LA's future as all skyscrapers.
And even if it did, most would be in every downtown and we'd still have big spots for sunshine.

I mostly see mid to high rises. Probably only about a 3rd as tall as the US bank. But the majority midrise.

What I hope is that downtown is up there with the rest of the cities in terms of being more than a run down buisiness area. Have it the same quality as downtown Chicago. FIll in the parking lots with new skyscrapers leave old downtown alone and just clean her up, fix skid row and bring back the street cars.


I wanna see downtown in a 2nd golden age.
It will happen I guarantee it, in a couple of years as major projects such as Wilshire grand, farmers field, the grand avenue project, and avenue of angels get completed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top