Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 05:51 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,942,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LABornandRaised View Post
I still cannot figure out how anyone ever thought chain-link fences were in style.....ever.
They're functional, not stylish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 05:53 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,379,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LABornandRaised View Post
I still cannot figure out how anyone ever thought chain-link fences were in style.....ever.
I doubt anyone ever installed one because they thought they were stylish. But modern, practical, and problem solving? And cheaper and easier than installing a wood fence? Sure!

We don't consider them modern now, but at one point they must have been considered a great big improvement on what had come before!

Old 06-13-2012, 05:54 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,379,165 times
And once again Fontucky says it better in four words, than I did with many many more words...

Agreed. It's a case of function, over style.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:05 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,510,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
They're functional, not stylish.
Let me say this in the kindest way possible (since you're one of my very favorite posters in the California boards)...

They're butt ugly. I agree with the wood picket fence route (even if it costs more). Here's a house that's for sale in Reseda. For about a half block east there are no front yard fences and it looks so much better IMO.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=19028...=12,206.8,,0,0

Just noticed - seems like every house is pending or accepting back up offers. Investors? Or is the market rebounding down there?

Last edited by BeauCharles; 06-13-2012 at 07:30 PM..

Old 06-13-2012, 08:03 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,851,924 times
Wrought iron fence makes sense for many people because it's the best compromise of style, durability, price, and visibility.

Chain link fence is ghetto, brick wall offers no visibility, and wooden fence is too high maintenance.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:35 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,942,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
Let me say this in the kindest way possible (since you're one of my very favorite posters in the California boards)...
Why, why... thank you. **bats eyelashes seductively**

Old 06-14-2012, 08:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,756 times
Fences do a great job at keeping kids and dogs in, outsiders out. The wrought iron fences are easy to keep up and still let the people inside see out, and the outside in.

Many other parts of the country people have no fences at all, not in front or even in the back. You also have to consider this is Southern California. That means they were semi-cheap to install. Other parts of the country you might have to extend the concrete block down four feet into the ground to get below the frost line, here you could get by going 12" down (no freezing). The wrought iron sections were probably made down in Mexico and cost almost nothing compared to costs elsewhere.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:05 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,399,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
Well, like this street in Valley Glen (there are many like it). Lots of metal fencing and driveway gates on modest tract homes that didn't originally have it. Its very rare to see it up here in similar neighborhoods. Not unheard of of course - the old man who lives next door to me has it in his front yard so his three yappy Chihuahuas can bark at passing kids on bikes.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=13817...12,165.39,,0,0

You can see one side of the street has a lot, the other side not so much. These actually don't look too bad - others I saw were a weird mish-mash of fencing types and styles that was kind of jarring. No continuity which made the neighborhood look kind of weird.
Here in the Bay Area you see this in places like Shoreview, Fairoaks / Eastside RWC, EPA, East San Jose, Fruitvale, etc.

Old 06-16-2012, 03:16 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,841,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Here in the Bay Area you see this in places like Shoreview, Fairoaks / Eastside RWC, EPA, East San Jose, Fruitvale, etc.
Yard = chihuahua/pitbull dog run. Also, keeps cars off the lawn.

Old 06-17-2012, 03:42 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,981,943 times
Most of these fences have gone up over the last two decades. They are actually pretty cheap to install and people that have them like the look and feeling of extra security. Often they have a dog in the yard as well. FWIW it's almost entirely a Mexican-American phenomenon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles