U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 03:50 PM

156 posts, read 338,230 times

Advertisements

Hi, guys!

I am writing a book and its action takes part mostly in LA. Since I have never been there but I can't change the setting for storyline purposes, I was wondering if some of you, LA inhabitants, wouldn't mind answering me some trivia stuff about your city.
It has to do with my story and although I can find some of these things online already, I am interested in a more subjective answer, one that an LA person would give.

So far, I would like to know how long does it take to get from LAX to Santa Monica at night (let's say around 1 a.m) and at noon.
When winter comes, do you guys need some kind of heating in your apartments or the outside temperature doesn't require any extra heating?
Also, how much rent would one pay for a 2 bedroom apartment in Santa Monica? Not near the beach, but within walking distance.

I hope this is the right place for this thread.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 03:57 PM

13,343 posts, read 18,090,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkk2chane View Post
Hi, guys!

I

So far, I would like to know how long does it take to get from LAX to Santa Monica at night (let's say around 1 a.m) and at noon.
When winter comes, do you guys need some kind of heating in your apartments or the outside temperature doesn't require any extra heating?
Also, how much rent would one pay for a 2 bedroom apartment in Santa Monica? Not near the beach, but within walking distance.
30 minutes.
The farther away from the coast, the colder it gets in winter. I'm sure people run for the heater when it hits 55-F.
$3200.

Old 06-13-2012, 04:05 PM

7,141 posts, read 19,527,516 times
at midnight the drive to the airport could be less than 30 minutes, but not much (maybe 20-25 minutes if you hit all the lights.

as for heating, it's not absolutely necessary, but everyone i know uses their heater in the winter time.

$3200 would get you a very nice 2br near the beach, you should be able to find cheaper options in the $2500 range.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:48 PM

5,242 posts, read 11,706,269 times
I would really recommend you take a visit to LA, at least a week, preferably two. It almost always REALLY shows when someone is writing a book about a place they've never been to. If you really think you have a chance at getting it published and making some money off it, invest in a plane ticket and a hotel stay.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:11 AM

156 posts, read 338,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
I would really recommend you take a visit to LA, at least a week, preferably two. It almost always REALLY shows when someone is writing a book about a place they've never been to. If you really think you have a chance at getting it published and making some money off it, invest in a plane ticket and a hotel stay.
A trip to LA would be a very long and expensive one right now, but I know that is always the best way to know a city. I had a lot of doubts about placing the story here, but there is no other way.

If I ever finish it, when it's time to over go the little details I will check for plane tickets

Thank you for all your answers.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:58 AM

6,294 posts, read 15,771,894 times
I agree! To the OP, you have NO idea how many books are set in L.A., and the author has obviously never been here. I'll admit that it offends me when they get it wrong, so please visit and get all of the details correct before your book is published! Besides, it can be a much needed reward (and vacation) for finishing the book!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post

Old 06-14-2012, 10:26 AM

3,552 posts, read 5,707,857 times
The first rule for writing a book: WRITE ABOUT WHAT YOU KNOW

Old 06-14-2012, 10:36 AM

132 posts, read 291,864 times
it looks like your questions have been answered. so, i'll go ahead and agree w/ everyone who said you really do need to come to LA before you write about it.

there are many more factors that you're going to need to know, aside from questions about commute times and rents (those are questions, by the way, that even someone who lives here might not know the answer to -- the point being, those aren't really the important things to know when writing about a city).

anyway, good luck w/ your book. go visit LA!

Old 06-14-2012, 12:28 PM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 2,746,408 times
As for the LAX to Santa Monica drive, I am not that far south often but I will give my feedback, certainly can be overridden by the more knowledgeable posters here.

Everyone I know takes Lincoln from LAX to Santa Monica, not the freeway. Even after hours.. Even thought the maps may call that section PCH as well, no one around here calls it PCH until it is actually on the ocean. At noon, it is slow going along Lincoln once you cross, say Manchester. 30 minutes sounds about right, At 1:00am, there will be far less traffic and you might be able to do the same commute in 20-25 minutes

You can use Apartments for Rent - PadMapper Apartment Search for Oodle, Apartments.com, Rent.com, Kijiji, and Craigslist Apartments to get an idea what the rents are for each area. Be careful for the fake ads though.

You can use google streeview to get a feel for the streets

Old 06-14-2012, 12:31 PM

3,162 posts, read 8,851,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
As for the LAX to Santa Monica drive, I am not that far south often but I will give my feedback, certainly can be overridden by the more knowledgeable posters here.

Everyone I know takes Lincoln from LAX to Santa Monica, not the freeway. Even after hours.. Even thought the maps may call that section PCH as well, no one around here calls it PCH until it is actually on the ocean. At noon, it is slow going along Lincoln once you cross, say Manchester. 30 minutes sounds about right, At 1:00am, there will be far less traffic and you might be able to do the same commute in 20-25 minutes

You can use Apartments for Rent - PadMapper Apartment Search for Oodle, Apartments.com, Rent.com, Kijiji, and Craigslist Apartments to get an idea what the rents are for each area. Be careful for the fake ads though.

You can use google streeview to get a feel for the streets
Lincoln is possibly the worst north/south street on the west side. While I agree the 405 isn't ideal, neither is Lincoln.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles