U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 06:42 PM

5,801 posts, read 5,635,482 times

Advertisements

Actually, your bus ride in Hollywood would begin at the N/W corner of Hollywood Bl. & Highland Ave., right in the front of the GAP store, via the #217 line, which will take you to Wilshire & Fairfax, next to the City National Bank branch (S/W corner of Wilshire & Fairfax).

Then you'd cross Wilshire and wait for the #20 bus right in front of Johnnie's Coffee Shop and a 99 Cents Only store, and that bus will take you to Wilshire & Westwood Blvd.

Those two buses run 24 hours a day and every day of the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 10:19 PM

22 posts, read 38,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindushka View Post
I feel so losing ( is this really dangerous walking from Hollywood blv. to Highland ? How about walking at that late 2 am in Westwood? Could it be better?

Thanks so much for the advice
I would STRONGLY advise you to get a car for yourself. They aren't expensive as long as you do your research and find the right one for your purpose. It will save you time and is a much safer option, especially for a girl alone at that time of night. Even if the buses ran every 15 minutes, I'd still say the car is well worth it. Nighttime safety issues aside, there are also the positive things to look at such as the abundance of entertainment and resources available in LA. You will probably be missing out on a lot of great opportunities if you are not fully mobile with your own car. Best of luck!

Old 06-20-2012, 03:54 PM

93 posts, read 244,309 times
In general, I am a huge proponent of public transportation. And neither the Hollywood/Highland area nor Westwood are dangerous per se. But in general, I think it is a bad idea for a 23 year old woman to walk the streets alone at 2am on a regular basis. Now and then, it's not too problematic. But if you do this regularly, you open yourself up to some freak noticing that you take the same route at that late hour all the time, and there won't be many other pedestrians so late at night. You'll want to be alert and defensive if you decide to do this.

Someone has already mentioned the best route (best in that it doesn't involve walking, which makes you safer). Take the #217 from Hollywood/Highland to Wilshire/Fairfax. Then transfer to the #720/20 from Wilshire/Fairfax to Wilshire/Westwood. The question is whether the timing works out for you to make the transfer without waiting too long. But, both of those stops are at heavily trafficked intersections. And the bus routes themselves are through nice areas of town. If the schedules work so that you don't have to stand around on any given street corner for too long, it's doable.

But, you should have a plan B in place. The buses only run every hour overnight. If you miss the bus, you don't want to be standing around for an hour.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:31 PM

397 posts, read 824,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
Line 4 on Santa Monica Bl runs much more often than the Sunset Bus all night. If I am leaving a club on Sunset Bl it's often to easier to hoof it down to Santa Monica and catch that bus rather than wait.
There is no way I'd ever walk down and wait for a bus at Santa Monica / Highland. Santa Monica / La Brea yes. Not Santa Monica / Highland.

To the OP

Highland is fine until you get south of Sunset. Hollywood to Sunset is fine and there is still activity. Especially in the summer months.

Honestly, the biggest problem you face is the bus schedule at night becomes so infrequent.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:35 PM

5,801 posts, read 5,635,482 times
I agree with the OP about doing your best to get a car ASAP, and while there is indeed plenty of activity at Hollywood & Highland at 2AM most nights, there's somewhat less @ Wilshire & Fairfax, although there's plenty of lighting on the N/W corner thanks to that 99 Cents Only store.

Old 06-25-2012, 06:10 PM

571 posts, read 1,751,450 times
Is this a one time thing or your regular commute??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or