U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 10:53 PM

13,343 posts, read 18,120,225 times

Advertisements

Besides the warm weather, I don't see what LA has to offer to senior citizens. I'd stick with AZ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 11:52 PM

3,342 posts, read 5,015,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I wouldn't advise retirees to live in California; why choose a state that has high income tax and sales tax rates? Okay, I know California isn't as bad as some, but it's not great. The sales tax in L.A. County is 8.75%. The state income tax varies, but it's around 6%. If you're trying to scrape by on social security alone, this might make or break your decision to live here.
California doesn't tax Social Security. Apparently that's all the O.P.'s parents will have.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:10 AM

18,041 posts, read 19,763,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
besides the warm weather, i don't see what la has to offer to senior citizens. I'd stick with az.
+1

Old 06-15-2012, 03:23 AM

6,575 posts, read 10,317,837 times
Hello again Desert_Scene! I read the thread and I must say I DO NOT think LA is a good place for any retiree. There is just too much going on. Arizona would be a good place to consider for your parents. It's very low-cost and alot of retirees are moving there and have settled down in the area. For what your considering and your parents annual income, I would look into purchasing a condo rather than a house. It's incredibly cheaper, smaller, and less maintenance to take care of. So definitely look into that. Have you ever considered Texas? I ask because I used to live there and it's as cheap (or used to be) as Arizona. Without the intense desert sun and heat. You could purchase a huge 2-story home for about 100K or less depending on where you go. I used to live in San Antonio which is a largely military town. I loved it. I had a great time when I was there. Lots of nice people. It's way better than Florida culturally and weather-wise as well. I would seriously look into it for your parents. They can have a really nice big home in a great neighborhood with mild weather conditions. It's a good place to retire to. Also, San Antonio International and most other airports in the state have direct flights to Los Angeles and every other big city in CA. So you'd be just a flight away when you need to see them.

Old 06-15-2012, 04:31 AM

18,717 posts, read 27,622,174 times
If I was going to retire in southern California I'd go to Big Bear. There are a lot of places up there that can be had for a song right now, it's a safe community for seniors, and you're still fairly close to LA. Nice scenery, too.

ps. Having said that--CA is expensive and has some issues right now. I'd think twice before retiring there.

Old 06-15-2012, 06:16 AM

269 posts, read 818,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert_scene View Post
I actually live with my mother right now. I give her a large portion of my paycheck for rent and food. My parents haven't lived together for well over 10 years now. By rooming with my mom it enables her to sort of live on her own. I think my parents could live together again if the house was big enough. Ideally they'd each have their own bedrooms on different ends of the house. I'm thinking a sprawling ranch style home, and it's probably going to have to be somewhere cheaper than LA. But I still want to be in a days drive to LA though. It doesn't have to be Arizona necessarily, there is always the inland empire, or Bakersfield maybe?? I read that it's nice and dry there. I do feel that once we get get to a drier climate, we're going to get involved in outdoor activities more and just feel better overall. Here in FL we spend over half the year indoors escaping the heat/humidity.
Half the year? Only months the humdity bothers me is August and September. Oct - May is great

I have a cousin who lives in Phoenix. That and Bakersfield is the worst summer weather I've ever felt. 118 during the day 99 at night. Dry or humid that is just horrible.

Old 06-15-2012, 06:22 AM

6,334 posts, read 15,794,318 times
Ah, I stand corrected then. Thanks! Of course, given California's budget woes, this could change in a heartbeat. And the cost of living (housing especially) is still significantly higher here than in neighboring states.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
California doesn't tax Social Security. Apparently that's all the O.P.'s parents will have.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:27 PM

1,798 posts, read 2,434,887 times
I thought I'd follow up on this topic I started. I'm still moving along in school fine and I'm going to try to wrap things up in a year. And, my mom seems to be digging this Phoenix, AZ idea. If she goes, then so comes my dad, my brother wants to come too..christ the whole family could wind up out there.

I know that Phoenix would be a good "West Coast" compromise, but LA is still calling me. Phoenix is a great city and certainly cheap, but LA is a pure dream. The energy of LA, the look of LA, everything about it (even the rough parts) I love. I can't really explain it other than the city "speaks to me" and reflects my personality on many levels. I'm nearly 40 and LA has been a part part of my consciousness all my life. "Mommy, where is Hollywood?" I asked her at 8 years old. "It's in Los Angeles honey...which is in California". "Oh...isn't that where the earthquakes are?" And the seed was planted. Scared of a place yet memorized by it. In high school it was the Rodney King Riots, the west coast rap, the T-shirts that said, "I love LA", with a guy getting shot, the Macarthur Park scene in Falling down. Again, scared of the place but fascinated with it.

Anyway I'm getting way off topic. My parents make 30K on combined social security, I'm going to make good money as a bookkeeper or accountant and I might even have a job connection out there before I leave. My brother would live with us too and contribute $. It just seems like we could rent a 4 bedroom ranch home in the San Fernando Valley. Van Nuys, Reseda, maybe Canoga Park. Our fixed costs would be divided out among 4, the AC bill wouldn't be as bad as FL. I know when people think of retiring, they think of slower paced cities. But if your old and retired, why not live in a busy city? They wouldn't have to commute to a job. And the big city energy might bring new life into them.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:25 PM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 2,751,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
I thought I'd follow up on this topic I started. I'm still moving along in school fine and I'm going to try to wrap things up in a year. And, my mom seems to be digging this Phoenix, AZ idea. If she goes, then so comes my dad, my brother wants to come too..christ the whole family could wind up out there.

I know that Phoenix would be a good "West Coast" compromise, but LA is still calling me. Phoenix is a great city and certainly cheap, but LA is a pure dream. The energy of LA, the look of LA, everything about it (even the rough parts) I love. I can't really explain it other than the city "speaks to me" and reflects my personality on many levels. I'm nearly 40 and LA has been a part part of my consciousness all my life. "Mommy, where is Hollywood?" I asked her at 8 years old. "It's in Los Angeles honey...which is in California". "Oh...isn't that where the earthquakes are?" And the seed was planted. Scared of a place yet memorized by it. In high school it was the Rodney King Riots, the west coast rap, the T-shirts that said, "I love LA", with a guy getting shot, the Macarthur Park scene in Falling down. Again, scared of the place but fascinated with it.

Anyway I'm getting way off topic. My parents make 30K on combined social security, I'm going to make good money as a bookkeeper or accountant and I might even have a job connection out there before I leave. My brother would live with us too and contribute $. It just seems like we could rent a 4 bedroom ranch home in the San Fernando Valley. Van Nuys, Reseda, maybe Canoga Park. Our fixed costs would be divided out among 4, the AC bill wouldn't be as bad as FL. I know when people think of retiring, they think of slower paced cities. But if your old and retired, why not live in a busy city? They wouldn't have to commute to a job. And the big city energy might bring new life into them.
I can understand your excitement to get to LA but it may not be best for your parents. The areas you listed are not the best of the valley. In general, if you want the San Fernando Valley, the better areas are on the perimiter not the center. I suspect you chose the cites based on rental prices. There is a reason they are cheaper.

Your parents would be better off finding a place to live within their budget, not depending on your contributions.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:36 PM

8,452 posts, read 12,118,037 times
You can move on your own to Los Angeles. If your parents decide they want to live near you, then they will have to live in Los Angeles.
Period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles