Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 04:17 PM

11 posts, read 49,757 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm married with 2 daughters who haven't started elementary school yet. We want to move to a larger house and I was considering North Redondo. We're looking for newer townhouses and not single family homes.

It seems like most of the newer townhouses that are currently available (from 1999) are in the Redondo Beach area. We've found some potential properties in North Redondo but my wife doesn't seem comfortable there. She did say someone said there is more "crime" there. However, after filtering through this forum and also reading up on the various police reports in North Redondo, scouring the Megan's law website, I think i found the areas to stay in and it seems safe depending on the areas of North Redondo.

In Torrance, I am told it's harder to find the crime reports because not all of it is reported so since we're currently living in Old Torrance, we want to move to another area with better schooling.

My wife is into North Torrance but I get the impression it's not as nice as the other parts of Torrance and North Redondo would be better than North Torrance.

I'd love to get some input on this

Last edited by A-Plus; 07-26-2011 at 05:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 02:59 PM

36 posts, read 60,664 times
North Torrance is actually a nice area. I like it. East Torrance is the sketchy part. The Torrance Unified School District is really good, and I personally think it's better than Redondo USD.

Old 07-27-2011, 03:32 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,394,193 times
North Torrance is indeed nice.

Old 07-27-2011, 03:41 PM

I wasn't sure since I was reading on this forum that stated to stay south of the 405.

The place my wife is looking into is here:

18510 FALDA Ave
Torrance, CA 90504

While this is a house and not a townhome, it was redone in 2010. it is close to North High and also Yukon Elementary.
(sorry can't post links yet as I am still new )

Last edited by A-Plus; 07-27-2011 at 03:54 PM.. Reason: Sorry, no links permitted by new members.

Old 07-28-2011, 12:47 AM

7,541 posts, read 6,269,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Plus View Post
I wasn't sure since I was reading on this forum that stated to stay south of the 405.

The place my wife is looking into is here:

18510 FALDA Ave
Torrance, CA 90504

While this is a house and not a townhome, it was redone in 2010. it is close to North High and also Yukon Elementary.
(sorry can't post links yet as I am still new )
That's actually a nice area and you shouldn't have problems . NOrth of 405 is just as fine (I live north of the 405 in the general area)

Old 07-28-2011, 01:15 AM

I drove by that property and then saw it was really close to the refinery. I am scratching this one off. But we will see is anything else up North Torrance or Redondo suits us. We might find something in West or South Torrance but have to keep looking.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:14 PM

14 posts, read 47,912 times
Default South Torrance

We are in South Torrance near PCH and absolutely LOVE it! We are less than a mile from the beach so get to enjoy all the beach activities and feel, and have a distant ocean view, but don't have to pay Redondo prices.

My personal opinion is that you are going to pay more for ANYTHING with a Redondo zip code, but you can easily find just as nice houses and schools for less in Torrance.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:15 PM

14 posts, read 47,912 times
Default South Torrance

We are in South Torrance off of PCH and LOVE IT! We are less than a mile from the beach so get to enjoy all of the beach feel and activities, plus a distant ocean view without the price of Redondo.

My personal opinion is that ANY address in Redondo is going to cost more. You can find just as good houses and school in Torrance without having to pay the extra just to say you have a Redondo Beach zip code.

Old 07-29-2011, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachary B. View Post
We are in South Torrance near PCH and absolutely LOVE it! We are less than a mile from the beach so get to enjoy all the beach activities and feel, and have a distant ocean view, but don't have to pay Redondo prices.

My personal opinion is that you are going to pay more for ANYTHING with a Redondo zip code, but you can easily find just as nice houses and schools for less in Torrance.

Yes. I love Torrance still. Just hard to find a place that is at least year 2000 and up with the right schools. Gated communities have them and Redondo Beach has them as well with their townhouses (since that's what we're looking for) so it's a matter of finding the right house. I already missed the boat on one house but I guess it was meant to be.

I also have heard of that same phrase that Torrance prices are lower than Redondo and also seen the average $ per square foot.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:52 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,647,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Plus View Post
Hi,

I'm married with 2 daughters who haven't started elementary school yet. We want to move to a larger house and I was considering North Redondo. We're looking for newer townhouses and not single family homes.

It seems like most of the newer townhouses that are currently available (from 1999) are in the Redondo Beach area. We've found some potential properties in North Redondo but my wife doesn't seem comfortable there. She did say someone said there is more "crime" there. However, after filtering through this forum and also reading up on the various police reports in North Redondo, scouring the Megan's law website, I think i found the areas to stay in and it seems safe depending on the areas of North Redondo.

In Torrance, I am told it's harder to find the crime reports because not all of it is reported so since we're currently living in Old Torrance, we want to move to another area with better schooling.

My wife is into North Torrance but I get the impression it's not as nice as the other parts of Torrance and North Redondo would be better than North Torrance.

I'd love to get some input on this
South Torrance (90505) is a great area. Check out Seaside Elementary School. One of my grandchildren goes there. The YMCA is right next door and has before and after school child care. My grandchild loves it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles