U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2012, 12:10 PM

25,306 posts, read 16,445,196 times

Advertisements

Yeah definitely....on a recent visit to NYC I was surprised that even parts of Queens are more expensive than L.A ..

I'm not sure if I'd want to live in NYC even if I had the money...the crowds are crazy with the high density of residents and tourists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 12:27 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,397,807 times
I think they are working on that, but I don't want it to become just like NYC's manhattan. Not unless they can improve the metro system so much that the traffic doesn't worsen. I like LA for what it is though. I just think DTLA needs to keep improving it's night seen. Other than that, if it aint broke don't fix it.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureHapa View Post
What's with the posters who want downtown L.A. to be Manhattan or Chicago or?

It is what it is, and L.A. is what it is and doesn't need to be anything else. It's pretty nice the way things are in this vast metro area referred to as L.A.

You want a walkable downtown life? You can have it.

You want a casual beachy life? You can have it.

You want a sleepy suburban life? You can have it.

You want a funky, youthful vibe? You can have it.

You want gay-friendly environs? You can have it.

You want to rub elbows with other wealthy folk in your own enclave? You can have it.

You want a blue-collar world? You can have it.

You want a retirement town? You can have that.

You want to live the American dream? You can do it.

You want the best weather in the world? We got it.

And so on. We have everything and we are everything - that's why people from other states and countries try to come here to live or dream about it.
Best post I've seen thus far on this thread. So true!

Old 12-05-2012, 12:39 PM

They should work on keeping the crazies off the metro that we have now. It seems there is always some crazy person that looks threatening and saying crazy stuff ...these types of people are volatile and you never know what they will do.

Look at what happened in NYC with the homeless guy pushing the guy onto the subway tracks and he died from being hit by the train. Prime example of why we need to eliminate these people from causing harm to normal working residents.

But now I'll hear it from people on here that that's a MEAN AND RACIST stance LOL..

Old 12-05-2012, 12:45 PM

10,087 posts, read 13,535,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
They should work on keeping the crazies off the metro that we have now. It seems there is always some crazy person that looks threatening and saying crazy stuff ...these types of people are volatile and you never know what they will do.

Look at what happened in NYC with the homeless guy pushing the guy onto the subway tracks and he died from being hit by the train. Prime example of why we need to eliminate these people from causing harm to normal working residents.

But now I'll hear it from people on here that that's a MEAN AND RACIST stance LOL..
Not mean or racist just impossible to enforce. While we are at it we should remove all the burglers and murderers from our city. Then there'd be no crime!

But seriously, I agree they can be a nuisance. The only problem I have with crazies is if they hold up the bus in any way. Twice some crazy dude tried to pile half of a junkyard onto the bus and for some reason the driver let him try to do it, then yelled at him for blocking the aisle What did you think was going to happen?

Old 12-05-2012, 01:06 PM

I was on redline recently with a big tall guy shouting loudly and stumbling about..it would be nice if we could somehow reduce that instead of waiting for an accident to happen.

I'm starting to think NYC's stop and frisk law isn't such a bad thing ...it's helped them cut down on crime. In L.A the police are way too liberal and LENIENT...focusing more on giving out tickets than crime PREVENTION.

Old 12-05-2012, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I was on redline recently with a big tall guy shouting loudly and stumbling about..it would be nice if we could somehow reduce that instead of waiting for an accident to happen.

I'm starting to think NYC's stop and frisk law isn't such a bad thing ...it's helped them cut down on crime. In L.A the police are way too liberal and LENIENT...focusing more on giving out tickets than crime PREVENTION.
Ha you've never seen someone stopped and frisked here in LA? I see it almost every single day.

First I'm hearing of the LAPD being lenient and liberal.

Old 12-05-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmcrocker View Post
Los Angeles has two MAJOR problems that NYC doesn't:

1. Bar closing time at 2am
2. Metro trains stop running around midnight

These are colossal problems that can easily be fixed!
I agree and I agree. Those things will change soon (within next 5-10 years gradually).

Old 12-05-2012, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinionated View Post
I soo agree with you! How arrogant that people,especially from elsewhere, take it upon themselves to declare that L.A. does not qualify as a 'real' city on its own, based on some bias towards some other, that bears absolutely no resemblance in any context. This affliction is also especially acute here in NorCali.
Totally agree with you. What's up with NorCal's hate for LA in particular? I never realized it until one of my boys (from LA) moved up there a few years ago but I noticed he was ultra critical of LA at first (he became more critical about everything actually--he used to be so go with the flow, but i digress) and how he was never moving back, then last year he called me saying he wanted to move back because it he hated the weather and it's not as diverse up there as he thought and all they do is talk about SF vs LA all the time.

Old 12-05-2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taydigga View Post
I agree and I agree. Those things will change soon (within next 5-10 years gradually).
Well the Metro runs till 2 AM on Friday and Saturday, so steps are being taken. Would be great to get 2 AM service every night and eventually all night service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or