U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2012, 08:44 PM

405 posts, read 711,529 times

Advertisements

OP, this thread is BEYOND STUPID!!! The best thing about LA is that it's the exact opposite of NYC, even though both cities are in the same class; I promise you no one in Manhattan or any other borough in NYC is worried about being anything like Los Angeles...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 08:48 PM

4,402 posts, read 11,936,986 times
That's what I wondered. Why does LA need to become somewhere else? Either like it or don't, but don't ask LA to become a carbon copy of another place.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:50 PM

18,534 posts, read 22,361,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfTheCars View Post
Yeah lets build really tall skyscrapers on an earthquake fault. Then pack it full of people and wait for the carnage...
Earthquake faults run all the way from Alaska down to Chile, as well as the other side of the Pacific rim!
After that killer earthquake in Japan last year, did you notice all the buildings standing afterwards? And the damages in Tokyo with their multitude of high rises?

Santiago, Chile had a dilly 8.0 earthquake back in the 80's, and the majority of those high rises withstood it. Build it correctly, and it shall withstand! Get chintzy with building it, and it shall fall down!

Old 12-07-2012, 01:35 AM

10,087 posts, read 13,535,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
No. It's more of the idea of heading to this mighty gigantic metropolis. Head into downtown, bar hop to over bars just of walking distance.
I went out in Chicago. Cold does not beat us.
I can walk from bar to bar in Hollywood, as well as a multitude of other places in LA. Don't need highrises for that.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:47 AM

3,552 posts, read 5,707,857 times
I think in any case, it's cold weather cities that define what modern civilization is all about really. New York, Chicago, Washington DC, London, Paris, Tokyo, Moscow, these are the pillars of modern society and civilization. Cities like Mogadishu, Beirut, Cairo, San Salvador, Bogota, Islamabad always seem to be in some kind of strife or some kind of war or some kind of upheaval

Old 12-07-2012, 09:01 AM

10,087 posts, read 13,535,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
I think in any case, it's cold weather cities that define what modern civilization is all about really. New York, Chicago, Washington DC, London, Paris, Tokyo, Moscow, these are the pillars of modern society and civilization. Cities like Mogadishu, Beirut, Cairo, San Salvador, Bogota, Islamabad always seem to be in some kind of strife or some kind of war or some kind of upheaval
Yeah cause London, Paris and Moscow have never seen some kind of war or upheaval

Old 12-07-2012, 09:25 AM

1,594 posts, read 2,081,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunJuan View Post
OP, this thread is BEYOND STUPID!!! The best thing about LA is that it's the exact opposite of NYC, even though both cities are in the same class; I promise you no one in Manhattan or any other borough in NYC is worried about being anything like Los Angeles...
This is the main reason, as New York City residents, we LOVE going to Los Angeles. Los Angeles is, without a doubt, a world class city. Los Angeles offers all the things New York City does and some things NYC doesn't. It has all the components of a major urban center. Having those things in varying quantities makes no difference.
What Los Angeles DOESN'T have, luckily, is an egomaniacal, obcenely wealthy, nanny mayor imposing his will on its citizens. It also DOES NOT have the inflationary influence of Wall Street throwing costs completely out of whack with the median income. Those two items make Los Angeles ININITELY more desirable that Manhattan, and when you throw in the great weather (come on, you knew that was coming) there is no contest.
The worst thing that could happen to LA is that it becomes even slightly Manhattanized.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:31 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,067 posts, read 43,831,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post

Manhattan and downtown Chicago blow downtown LA out of the water sure, but in the same distance as those aforementioned areas of LA County, you have mostly boring and homogenous suburbs, whether good OR bad. Sure you have some progressive communities with a college, or some unique suburb that is integrated, eclectic and diverse, but it is often overhelmingly either:

bombed out, depopulated, post industrial, boarded up, 99% African American areas.
Working class, somewhat socially conservative 50% 3rd or later generation Irish/Italian/Polish/German-Americans
Old money, stuffy, somewhat socially conservative areas that are 50% white anglo-saxon protestant.

This is not entirely true, but there are trade-offs.
You're describing Chicago, not NYC.

I can't think of any bombed out looking, 99% African American areas. Maybe parts of Newark and neighboring cities but not much. A couple of spots of North Brooklyn are black but they're busy and dangerous not depopulated. Many of the bombed sections of the South Bronx look like https://maps.google.com/maps?q=160th...64.55,,0,-2.61 but anyways with the South Bronx is mostly Hispanic not African American

Ethnic mix is Irish/Italian/Eastern European Jewish in the "working-class" areas, though the last group is generally liberal. Most of the old money areas are no longer white anglo-saxon protestant, few if any majority WASP areas exist anymore, many are transplants. The money areas generally have a large jewish population as well as some of the same ethnic population of the "working-class" areas.

While there aren't fun beach areas, there's hip areas of Brooklyn, and plenty of working-class immigrant neighborhoods with interesting culture and food (Russian Brighton Beach, South Asian and Colombian Jackson Heights, etc.)

Old 12-07-2012, 10:57 AM

193 posts, read 251,333 times
People that want to live so you can't move without bumping in to 6 people are nuts... If I wwant to swing my arm I don't want to touch anyone... I don't want to share a wall with my neighbor. I don't want to hear my neighbors TV...

You can have New York, If it's so good stay there.

Old 12-07-2012, 11:25 AM

25,306 posts, read 16,445,196 times
You mention that the NYC mayor is a nanny mayor...but you gotta admit he got stuff done! Our Mayor on the other hand...sucks! I'd like to see more of a NYC style mayor in L.A , cracking down on stuff and cleaning up the city of as many shady businesses as possible. You don't hear them cracking down on anything in L.A!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or