U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2012, 08:14 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,963,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I think Chicago has some single family home close to the center, just not with as much greenery. There's no space in Manhattan, but it wouldn't really be Manhattan if there was. No one expects a single family home in Paris or the center of London, either.

Off topic, but one thing NYC and Los Angeles have in common is they're both popular with celebrities. Are celebrity sightings common? I've seen 2 without living in NYC.
Celebrities? I've seen a few. Not an every day thing though. The latest was Arnold--spotted him exiting Hamasaku Restaurant a year ago. I was in the Coffee Bean next door .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 08:51 PM

193 posts, read 405,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
The irony of all the L.A. bashing is that if a single family home suddenly appeared on the market in Manhattan, New Yorkers would sell their own mothers to get it.

In Manhattan, you HAVE to live the sardine can lifestyle. In L.A., it's only optional.
seriously-- its amazing how here you can get a SFH that is SO CLOSE to the main areas of the city. Ive always loved LA's somewhat odd middle between "typical" views of urban and suburbanism (though I definitely view it as urban). That being said, I think there are certain areas of LA (DTLA, Century City, possibly Warner Center, Hollywood, K-Town and Miracle Mile) that I would actually like to see more high rise buildings though I am completely against the Manhattanization of LA as a whole. It would be ridiculous

Old 12-07-2012, 10:18 PM

1,594 posts, read 2,081,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
You mention that the NYC mayor is a nanny mayor...but you gotta admit he got stuff done! Our Mayor on the other hand...sucks! I'd like to see more of a NYC style mayor in L.A , cracking down on stuff and cleaning up the city of as many shady businesses as possible. You don't hear them cracking down on anything in L.A!
1) Banned smoking just about everywhere.
2) Tried to ban trans fat
3) Banned drinks bigger than 16 oz.
4) Cut yellow light time below the legal limit
5) Just about doubled the cost of parking and moving violation tickets
6) Pushed out large chunks of low and middle income residents to "develop" neighborhoods
7) Has almost completely destroyed the school system
8) Just about doubled property and water taxes
9) Forced police to manipulate statistics to make it appear that crime has decreased
10) Continuously cut city budgets while giving unnecessary tax breaks to businesses including two strip clubs
11) Dropped the ball repeatedly during major weather events, sometimes disappearing for days.
12) Broke term limit law by bribing city council

I could go on. I would say you can have him, but I plan to move to LA within a few years and the last thing I want to find there is Bloomberg

Old 12-07-2012, 10:22 PM

24,496 posts, read 25,328,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaemophilusAphrophilus View Post
seriously-- its amazing how here you can get a SFH that is SO CLOSE to the main areas of the city. Ive always loved LA's somewhat odd middle between "typical" views of urban and suburbanism (though I definitely view it as urban). That being said, I think there are certain areas of LA (DTLA, Century City, possibly Warner Center, Hollywood, K-Town and Miracle Mile) that I would actually like to see more high rise buildings though I am completely against the Manhattanization of LA as a whole. It would be ridiculous
We share the same sentiment. I think highrise living and dense development is fine, but I like that beautiful SFHs are interspersed here and there within the city center (there's some of that in NYC a bit further out with Victorian flatbush which is absolutely beautiful and a pretty fast subway ride to Manhattan or Staten Island with a rail and ferry ride). LA should keep a lot more of its beautiful SFH architecture and pocket neighborhoods but for parts that are already fairly dense but poorly designed with a bunch of open land parking lots and tacky strip malls, those could do with a bit of Manhatttanization in terms of large highrises as it'd give LA the best of both worlds. Really, what I'd like is a conversion of tacky strip malls, really ugly SFH neighborhoods and large open lot parking lots into denser development or greenspace--fine if you want more parking though if you take a cue from the Fashion District and make the first ground level shops or something else of pedestrian interest. LA doesn't have to follow Manhattan--what it should try for is something even better.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:26 PM

24,496 posts, read 25,328,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic59 View Post
1) Banned smoking just about everywhere.
2) Tried to ban trans fat
3) Banned drinks bigger than 16 oz.
4) Cut yellow light time below the legal limit
5) Just about doubled the cost of parking and moving violation tickets
6) Pushed out large chunks of low and middle income residents to "develop" neighborhoods
7) Has almost completely destroyed the school system
8) Just about doubled property and water taxes
9) Forced police to manipulate statistics to make it appear that crime has decreased
10) Continuously cut city budgets while giving unnecessary tax breaks to businesses including two strip clubs
11) Dropped the ball repeatedly during major weather events, sometimes disappearing for days.
12) Broke term limit law by bribing city council

I could go on. I would say you can have him, but I plan to move to LA within a few years and the last thing I want to find there is Bloomberg
Crime actually has gone way down in a lot of neighborhoods so I don't think it's all city manipulation. I also don't quite see how he destroyed the school system, could you elucidate on that. Other things though I believe are terrible (save for banning trans fat, I have no idea why that's supposed to be a contentious issue since it's mostly been proven to be pretty bad for you so making people to shift to alternatives is going to make both municipal and personal savings in the long run).

Old 12-07-2012, 11:13 PM

10,087 posts, read 13,535,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I think Chicago has some single family home close to the center, just not with as much greenery. There's no space in Manhattan, but it wouldn't really be Manhattan if there was. No one expects a single family home in Paris or the center of London, either.

Off topic, but one thing NYC and Los Angeles have in common is they're both popular with celebrities. Are celebrity sightings common? I've seen 2 without living in NYC.
Depends on what you consider a celebrity really.

Old 12-08-2012, 01:39 PM

7,563 posts, read 3,719,649 times
Actually, look at San Diego. I drove there yesterday. I was heading back, took a wrong turn and went North on the 5. Or that's where I was suppose to go, but I missed the junction to the 163 North. turned around and then got an amazing view of downtown San Diego. Not as tall as L.A. but wow, it beats L.A. in the amount of high rises in it's downtown and the overall density of them. The nice looking tall condos. That's what L.A. needs for it's downtown. Fill in the gaps, and it doesn't need to be crazy tall.
Same with Hollywood. it just looks amazing when you drive past high rise areas on the freeway. And leave the residential SFH areas low rise.

Old 12-08-2012, 01:47 PM

5,845 posts, read 11,130,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Actually, look at San Diego. I drove there yesterday. I was heading back, took a wrong turn and went North on the 5. Or that's where I was suppose to go, but I missed the junction to the 163 North. turned around and then got an amazing view of downtown San Diego. Not as tall as L.A. but wow, it beats L.A. in the amount of high rises in it's downtown and the overall density of them. The nice looking tall condos. That's what L.A. needs for it's downtown. Fill in the gaps, and it doesn't need to be crazy tall.
Same with Hollywood. it just looks amazing when you drive past high rise areas on the freeway. And leave the residential SFH areas low rise.
San Diego is beautiful, but its important to consider that its noticeably more conservative there. Living in San Diego you are probably going to bump into and have to interact with some individuals that make an assumption about whether one is here legally or not based on their name and looks.

Granted, that is still a minority, but you would interact with that subculture more than LA. From the threads I've lead the east suburbs of San Diego are about as close as one gets to The South than anywhere else in California.

Old 12-08-2012, 02:05 PM

7,563 posts, read 3,719,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
San Diego is beautiful, but its important to consider that its noticeably more conservative there. Living in San Diego you are probably going to bump into and have to interact with some individuals that make an assumption about whether one is here legally or not based on their name and looks.

Granted, that is still a minority, but you would interact with that subculture more than LA. From the threads I've lead the east suburbs of San Diego are about as close as one gets to The South than anywhere else in California.
True, I met a few already. I love L.A. and will always rep it. I know I compare it alot to other cities, but I dont want it to become other cities, but would like it to beat them at their own game.

It wont be NYC because NYC does not have palm trees and freeways.

I just think L.A. can use the best traits from other cities to improve itself. Mainly with PT and ridding itself of strip malls. I picture L.A. getting more of London's density with it's low rise areas and Tokyo'ish with it's high rise areas.

Old 12-08-2012, 02:56 PM

9,723 posts, read 12,823,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
True, I met a few already. I love L.A. and will always rep it. I know I compare it alot to other cities, but I dont want it to become other cities, but would like it to beat them at their own game.

It wont be NYC because NYC does not have palm trees and freeways.

I just think L.A. can use the best traits from other cities to improve itself. Mainly with PT and ridding itself of strip malls. I picture L.A. getting more of London's density with it's low rise areas and Tokyo'ish with it's high rise areas.
+1 Rep....Great Post - Great Train of Thought / LA being a very young World Class Alpha City unlike Paris and London which are somewhere between 2,000 and 3,000 years old and NYC somewhere around 400 to 500 years old.....LA gets to pick and choose Architecture highlights from these cities and reproduce them into the urban fabric which is Los Angeles California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or