U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 04:18 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,982,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknwhiterose View Post
I've always thought that Pasadena or Long Beach should have been the model for Los Angeles. Take Old Town, put it down by the ocean, blow it up to the size of Chicago or Manhattan, and then L.A. would have been a bangin' cool city, a true spanish/mediterranean-y So Cal compliment to San Francisco.
It's happening to Santa Monica now. There's a lot of resistance from old school residents who still imagine Santa Monica as some village, like Carmel. Just go to any city council meetings about future development and I'm sure you'll feel the storm brewing between two very different visions for that old hamlet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2014, 04:19 PM

903 posts, read 1,007,083 times
Let's Do It!

Old 10-13-2014, 04:33 PM

2,431 posts, read 2,940,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I like it the way it is. You want Manhattan, go there.
Again: Fontucky is right. Now return to Manhattan and suggest they 'Los Angelesize' Manhattan and let us know how many high fives that got you.

Old 10-13-2014, 08:28 PM

1,826 posts, read 1,309,977 times
Quote:
I've always thought that Pasadena or Long Beach should have been the model for Los Angeles. Take Old Town, put it down by the ocean, blow it up to the size of Chicago or Manhattan, and then L.A. would have been a bangin' cool city, a true spanish/mediterranean-y So Cal compliment to San Francisco.
You're saying San Francisco is more urban than Los Angeles?

Old 10-14-2014, 12:08 PM

6,034 posts, read 9,170,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
The thing is, nowhere in LA is really becoming Manhattanized. DTLA already has that urban design for the most part, just because it is having a building boom doesn't mean it is undergoing an transformation of urban form. If anything, Los Angeles is just becoming Los Angeles-ized - tearing down lower-intensity development for medium-to-high density low rise apartments, now they are often mixed-use. It happened in the 60s, 70s, 80, 90, 00s... Not sure why anyone is surprised it is still happening in the teens.
I can remember when downtown L.A. was rather sparse with only a scattering of highrises ... this was up until about the late 1980s. One reason for the lack of an urban core was the availability of land on which to build sprawling development. Freeways, strip malls, and single family homes were the rule. Eventually, there was no more empty land to annex into the city (L.A. basically became landlocked), and what available land there was became developed. Los Angeles was forced to urbanize, become more dense, and go taller if they still wanted to add population.

Seriously, the L.A. skyline is much more impressive now than it used to be some 30+ years ago ... and the downtown area is denser & more active as a result. I can't understand why anybody says it needs to be like New York. Does L.A. really want to have eight million people living on top of each other??? The funny thing is that no matter how large a city is, there are people who are not satisfied with the cityscape ... and rightfully so in some cases.

If anybody thinks downtown L.A. is lacking urbanity, density, or tall buildings, come to Phoenix and look at our downtown. Phoenix's downtown is considered by many to be a joke considering it's the nation's sixth largest city. In many ways, I wish downtown Phoenix looked more like how downtown L.A. does today. Both L.A. and Phoenix are similar in that they had rapid growth after WWII, and were developed on the model of urban/suburban sprawl. The difference: Phoenix still has a lot of empty land to build on, whereas L.A. doesn't so much. If I had my way, I would develop Phoenix into more of a denser city and build upward like L.A. has done. It doesn't need to be like Manhattan, but it should be taller than what it is.

Old 10-14-2014, 12:16 PM

10,087 posts, read 13,535,786 times
Quote:
Yeah it is interesting that even in the places that Santa Monica and Pasadena are pretty autocentric, they are almost always more comfortable for pedestrians than equivalent areas in LA proper.

Old 10-14-2014, 12:53 PM

5,650 posts, read 7,062,946 times
Los Angeles doesn't need to assemble another city's culture.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:20 AM

852 posts, read 687,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
It's happening to Santa Monica now. There's a lot of resistance from old school residents who still imagine Santa Monica as some village, like Carmel. Just go to any city council meetings about future development and I'm sure you'll feel the storm brewing between two very different visions for that old hamlet.
Sorry but I am with the old fogeys, Santa Monica should remain low rise, the newer bigger developments along ocean avenue are bad enough.

Long beach is frigging ugly in my opinion, so no thanks. Low rise Montana is how Santa Monica should remain...

Old 10-15-2014, 02:28 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,425,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nograviti View Post
Sorry but I am with the old fogeys, Santa Monica should remain low rise, the newer bigger developments along ocean avenue are bad enough.

Long beach is frigging ugly in my opinion, so no thanks. Low rise Montana is how Santa Monica should remain...
The bigger developments along Ocean Avenue are not new but decades old (as in 40 plus years).

Old 10-15-2014, 04:34 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,982,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nograviti View Post

I love Long Beach! I do agree though, Santa Monica is much more aesthetically pleasing (for the most part...Long Beach, is much bigger though, and has several neighborhood gems.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetLegal View Post
The bigger developments along Ocean Avenue are not new but decades old (as in 40 plus years).
Yeah, most contention is around projects like this: SaMo Approves Big Plans for the Bergamot Station Area - PlanningWatch - Curbed LA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or