U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 10:22 PM

137 posts, read 393,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
You're defining DTLA as its core. I just explained, there are at least a half dozen "urban cores" of LA city, each with their own amenities and identities. You don't need highrises to be an urban core. Urban has nothing to do with high rises. It has to do with population density, and LA is very dense regardless of the fact that it isn't built towards the sky everywhere.
Tall buildings and high population densities go together. Think of all the skyscrapers you see out in the suburbs. Not many. While LA is fairly dense in certain areas, these spots have more tall buildings. The way you reach a high population density is by putting people on top of one another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Not really. Last call at 2am is a statewide law.
doesn't matter. Cities can have exemptions. Look at Miami for example.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:28 PM

22,692 posts, read 28,332,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmcrocker View Post
Los Angeles has two MAJOR problems that NYC doesn't:

1. Bar closing time at 2am
2. Metro trains stop running around midnight

These are colossal problems that can easily be fixed!
Who would want to be out after 2 AM drinking? Isn't up to 2 AM enough time to drink?

Old 06-15-2012, 10:34 PM

51 posts, read 100,749 times
I disagree, that wouldn't fit downtown Los Angeles at all, it's a business district with pockets of places to see and things to do. Others have already stated this, but the city really does have areas for most of what people want at any given time, it's a big place.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:41 PM

464 posts, read 741,803 times
If you think LA needs to be like NYC or LA is a mess or LA doesn't offer anything, that's your prerogative. I think you're wrong, but you think what you want. If you can't see what LA has to offer (compared to a "true city") or you can't understand that LA, with county or no county, is a world class city, then that's your loss. But just by repeating that LA doesn't match up to "City X" or "City Y" isn't going to change our minds. And what's a "true" city? That idea is laughable at best. Is a "true" city only defined with densely-packed tall buildings? I don't think so. I can't find a definition of "true city" anywhere. Is it maybe because a "true" city is subjective? LA, with its multiple urban cores, seems pretty "true" to me.

Anyway, I'm glad LA is not like NYC, and more importantly, no other city is like LA. The irony of "LA needs to be Manhattanized" scenario is that if the idea was reversed, that "Manhattan needs to be LA-ized," it couldn't happen even if they wanted to, and hardly anyone brings that notion up. While I truly love NYC, this is one point in which I will always hold LA superior - that while LA shouldn't be like NYC, it could if it really wanted to (e.g. more skyscrapers, massive subway system). But NYC, specifically Manhattan, can never be like LA...there's no more space, there can't be freeways, there can't be beaches or mountains, there can't be mansion homes with backyards/front yards, etc. LA could have everything Manhattan has if that's what we wanted, but it's not possible the other way around. LA can always strive for something like the MET for example, but it's impossible for Manhattan to have a Griffith Observatory. LA has the option, and in this instance, Manhattan is bound by its limitations. LA will continue growing and will look very different 50 years from now (for the better I hope), but I bet Manhattan in 50 years will look more or less the same overall.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:55 PM

6,294 posts, read 15,771,894 times
The best part about living here is that I'm too busy enjoying myself to worry about what someone else thinks of L.A. Who cares about comparing the City of Los Angeles to Manhattan? L.A. is very different from New York, as it should be.

Old 06-16-2012, 12:48 AM

5,113 posts, read 17,782,649 times
Quote:
doesn't matter. Cities can have exemptions. Look at Miami for example.
I'm pretty sure Miami is in another state.

Quote:
Tall buildings and high population densities go together. Think of all the skyscrapers you see out in the suburbs. Not many. While LA is fairly dense in certain areas, these spots have more tall buildings. The way you reach a high population density is by putting people on top of one another.
Yet the densities are very high anyways, because people don't live in skyscrapers.

Old 06-16-2012, 01:13 AM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure Miami is in another state.
is it? Miami, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

in Florida, state law says bars have to close at 2am. Several cities/counties have taken exception to this and keeps bars open later.

Quote:
Yet the densities are very high anyways, because people don't live in skyscrapers.
look at the neighborhoods on that list. ~ 20k people per square mile is not dense.

Old 06-16-2012, 01:39 AM

9,830 posts, read 7,963,142 times
Quote:
is it? Miami, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

in Florida, state law says bars have to close at 2am. Several cities/counties have taken exception to this and keeps bars open later.

look at the neighborhoods on that list. ~ 20k people per square mile is not dense.
It is by American standards. For all the big suburb talk, Los Angeles is pretty much the second densest city in the country, even at its shabby core, and has been for a while. It has more people living at 20/30/40k densities than any city outside New York. What separates L.A. from it doesn't really have a "all points lead here" area like another similarly dense city, Chicago, does. Then again, there isn't much going on in metro Chicago outside The Loop and the Northside, which leads me to believe L.A. went in the right direction.

Old 06-16-2012, 02:18 AM

93 posts, read 139,562 times
I think what throws many people off is the fact that they cannot get through their heads that
unlike most other cities in the US. LA is a city that never wanted and will never want to be like New York, is not that NY is bad or ugly etc. is just not our thing, some people just don't get that, like who in the world wouldn't want to be like New York? That would be LA. Skyscrapers don't play a big role in the psyche of most angelenos.

LA is a place that was largely populated by people who left the eastern cities because they found them to be dirty and crowded so LA became a new paradygm of city living. Even tough the city has changed a lot, it has become dense an dirty in some areas, at its core there is always that feeling of not wanting to be anytrhing like the cities of the east, and people loves it here because of that.
LA is just perfect they way it is, one big area where there it's lots of room for improvement is mass transportation, once the LA metro is completely connected by a mass transportation grid, this region will be unstoppable.
Skyscrapers I am afraid to say don't play a big role in the psyche of most angelenos.

Last edited by MeridianX; 06-16-2012 at 02:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or