U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 06:25 AM

2,431 posts, read 2,940,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
No. LA is LA, not SF, not NYC, not Chicago. And who defined what a true city is?

Plus, I assume this means more gentrification, which means more kicking poor out of their homes and pushing them somewhere else so the areas you want to change can be nice and pretty.
I soo agree with you! How arrogant that people,especially from elsewhere, take it upon themselves to declare that L.A. does not qualify as a 'real' city on its own, based on some bias towards some other, that bears absolutely no resemblance in any context. This affliction is also especially acute here in NorCali.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2012, 08:38 AM

5,845 posts, read 11,130,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfside__ View Post
Regardless of LA being "Big" it's core sucks really bad for being 2nd largest in the United States.

Santa Monica and Long Beach are great, but keep in mind they are NOT Los Angeles.

How does a city LA's size match up to Brickell in Miami or Downtown Chicago? or other large cities with a true urban core? The answer is, it doesn't.
So what?

You can always turn it around:

"Regardless of Chicago having an amazing core, its surrounding metro area (and even outer city limits) sucks for a urban core of its significance."

Some like me love all the clusters of activity scattered all over LA county.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:07 AM

5,494 posts, read 13,309,994 times
I keep hearing people referring to east coast cities being filthy and dirty. As much as I love living here now I honestly don't find LA any cleaner.

And Surfside kid, you know nothing about LA.

Last edited by pwright1; 06-16-2012 at 09:17 AM..

Old 06-16-2012, 11:16 AM

7,563 posts, read 3,719,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
oh please....with ur "kicking the poor out" boo freakin hoo. .

they're in prime real estate and dont even know it or appreciate it.
I'm sorry, but tough cookies, get out, make room for IMPROVEMENT and PROGRESS.....not stagnation and decay..
Gentrification isn't really progress.

You kick out people, you kill a neighborhood's culture. You replace everything with chain stores.

Not all of us are rich like you apparently are. You want things to be really expensive..

Old 06-16-2012, 11:28 AM

7,563 posts, read 3,719,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeridianX View Post
I think what throws many people off is the fact that they cannot get through their heads that
unlike most other cities in the US. LA is a city that never wanted and will never want to be like New York, is not that NY is bad or ugly etc. is just not our thing, some people just don't get that, like who in the world wouldn't want to be like New York? That would be LA. Skyscrapers don't play a big role in the psyche of most angelenos.

LA is a place that was largely populated by people who left the eastern cities because they found them to be dirty and crowded so LA became a new paradygm of city living. Even tough the city has changed a lot, it has become dense an dirty in some areas, at its core there is always that feeling of not wanting to be anytrhing like the cities of the east, and people loves it here because of that.
LA is just perfect they way it is, one big area where there it's lots of room for improvement is mass transportation, once the LA metro is completely connected by a mass transportation grid, this region will be unstoppable.
Skyscrapers I am afraid to say don't play a big role in the psyche of most angelenos.
It does for me, and I was born here lol.

That's why one of my favorite movies is Bladerunner. But I'm not looking for a dystopian city, or ALL LA to be filled with sky scrapers. Just downtown to get more denser. And LA doesnt need the tallest buildings in the world. It would be ok of other buildings dont go higher than the US bank. It would be great, but for the most part, I just want to see more creativeness with the downtown skyline. Ritz is nice because if it's shape from the side. Soon Wilshire Grand Tower will be the first skyscraper in downtown with a spire. I just look to downtown to get more love by architects, while at the same time appreciating the original buildings that are decayed right now. Breathe life into them.

Old 06-16-2012, 12:17 PM

5,048 posts, read 7,685,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Gentrification isn't really progress.

You kick out people, you kill a neighborhood's culture. You replace everything with chain stores.

Not all of us are rich like you apparently are. You want things to be really expensive..
bro, seriously? a neighborhood's culture of poverty, crime, and gang violence isn't culture. .. . and yes, bring the chain stores, the shopping malls, the coffee houses, etc.
More places for me to spend my money and be seeen

Old 06-16-2012, 12:19 PM

2,720 posts, read 4,889,417 times
I agree thar LA should be a more walkable city, so yes to more public transportation but no to making it more like Manhattan.

Old 06-16-2012, 12:22 PM

2,720 posts, read 4,889,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
bro, seriously? a neighborhood's culture of poverty, crime, and gang violence isn't culture. .. . and yes, bring the chain stores, the shopping malls, the coffee houses, etc.
More places for me to spend my money and be seeen
Woah not all the neighborhood are crime driven. A lot ate working class areas with a unique culture to them.

I agree that killing them to make room for chain stores is asking the poor to vacate in favor of yuppies to make the area look more acceptable to people like you.

Old 06-16-2012, 12:22 PM

31,471 posts, read 34,718,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
It does for me, and I was born here lol.

That's why one of my favorite movies is Bladerunner. But I'm not looking for a dystopian city, or ALL LA to be filled with sky scrapers. Just downtown to get more denser. And LA doesnt need the tallest buildings in the world. It would be ok of other buildings dont go higher than the US bank. It would be great, but for the most part, I just want to see more creativeness with the downtown skyline. Ritz is nice because if it's shape from the side. Soon Wilshire Grand Tower will be the first skyscraper in downtown with a spire. I just look to downtown to get more love by architects, while at the same time appreciating the original buildings that are decayed right now. Breathe life into them.
Basically you just like sky scrapers and want to look at a skyline that looks like NYC. That's the actual discussion we are having here. It's got nothing to do with anything real.

Architects could (have) built some pretty interesting things in LA but if they aren't sky scrapers jammed next to one another you aren't going to appreciate it. Those things happen when there is no place to go but UP. I could be wrong but I'm thinking earthquakes and the large expanse of land may be one of the reasons LA didn't evolve that way.

Old 06-16-2012, 01:01 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,603,698 times
Skyscrapers are nice and all, but not if they're sitting empty, which is what new buildings would be doing in this economy. There's very little need for more office space in this City. Plenty of vacancy already. I know that doesn't sound "sexy" but it's the reality, and skyscrapers are entities built by private companies who need to generate profits in order to eat.

But I definitely agree with (and have made the same point in other threads) the sentiment that LA's major problems are fixable, whereas other cities' aren't. It takes money to solve problems though, so in the short term, I think if LA could expedite these two issues, we'd be good:

1. Metro rail projects (Expo extension to SM, Purple Line extension, Regional connector)
2. An NFL team at Farmers Field in Downtown (laugh if you must, but the lack of a team makes LA a punchline to many other cities, it's like the one big thing that they have over us, and we can't argue that)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or