U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2012, 12:43 PM

1,960 posts, read 3,681,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
With all due respect, its a punchline only to small-minded morons. The fact LA has refused to bend over for yet another billionaire to rob us of our dignity and our money is something to be proud of, and something cities like Houston and St Louis can't claim.

Jacksonville has an NFL team. Who gives a ****?
Well said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 01:04 PM

1,960 posts, read 3,681,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfside__ View Post
OF WHICH, you need a vehicle to get around everywhere, what if someone enjoys urban living? Don't get me wrong, LA county is nice but the actual city itself?

Who wants to drive from sprawl to sprawl , congestion after congestion, just to enjoy everything LA offers?? How is that even enjoyable??

Los Angeles might offer a lot, but it sure doesn't offer anything of a TRUE city when it comes to having a urban core ( i am not talking urban sprawl either)

Los Angeles downtown is pathetic for a city that is the 2nd largest in the United States! Let's be REAL here!
One last feeding of the troll, who hasn't begged for anything for some time........

What in the name of all that is holy does a "TRUE" city offer?

Don't give the crap line about LA NOT having a transportation system. It has buses, it has trains, it has subways (after a fashion), and while it USED to be better (say, back in my dad's childhood, when the cable cars ran from the SFV to San Clemente (you can thank the rubber and oil companies for buying and dismantling THAT in the early fifties so more buses could be built, etc, BY THE WAY)), it's better than it was.

Don't give the nonsense line about "sprawl". If you check C-D's files zip code by zip code, I'm sure you will find that the majority of LA zip codes (this includes the San Fernando Valley, Harbor Gateway, San Pedro and Wilmington, Hollywood, etc, etc, etc) are considered densely populated; some VERY much so.

As far as a city being "Manhattanized", LA is similar to Manhattan in at least one way: street naming! It has streets running from 1st to 266th, much as Manhattan has (theirs increase south to north; LA's, north to south). True, LA's numbered streets run into adjacent cities (sometimes out to the county border but then, LA is generous that way ), but it's all good. We even have 2nd through 12th Aves, running north and south from Mid-City out to Inglewood. Isn't that a little like Manhattan? In fact, there is even a "Manhattan Avenue" that runs and breaks and runs again throughout the city.

I am not down on Manhattan, having never yet been there and knowing what I know of it through reading and general cultural reference, but this whole thread and the OP seems to have been started through a desire to make something more like something else. Why? It is rather like telling someone that they need to be more like someone else and then listing the reasons. That really says more about the instigator than about either of the persons or places under discussion. And, moreover, trying to accomplish change in this way more often than not doesn't work. It is not apparent that either LA or NY is going to be abandoned whatever conclusion is reached here. Human ingenuity, or inertia, will keep both places going, absent any other happening.

Old 06-17-2012, 01:17 PM

132 posts, read 291,864 times
i don't understand why people look to manhattan as the standard for what all cities should be.

tall buildings do not make a city.

i believe the truest definition of a city is something along the lines of: the proximity of businesses to places of residence. or the ratio of businesses to residences.

something like that. it has nothing to do with how tall a building is, though. that's a rather infantile view of cities.

Old 06-17-2012, 01:55 PM

7,563 posts, read 3,719,649 times
Tall buildings dont make manhatten. LA could be full of them but it would still be it's own city.

If anything, LA would look more brighter. I can picture LA having buildings with light color schemes to reflect the climate of the city.

Old 06-17-2012, 02:30 PM

1,162 posts, read 2,964,385 times
Absolutely true. I visited Rome a few years ago and marvelled at the thousand-year old view of the 'skyline' from Castel San'Angelo. Absolutely definitive of the City. There was no need to alter it, and Rome is a pretty spread-out place as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajn1983 View Post
i don't understand why people look to manhattan as the standard for what all cities should be.

tall buildings do not make a city.

i believe the truest definition of a city is something along the lines of: the proximity of businesses to places of residence. or the ratio of businesses to residences.

something like that. it has nothing to do with how tall a building is, though. that's a rather infantile view of cities.

Old 06-17-2012, 03:02 PM

137 posts, read 393,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subPrimeTime View Post
Skyscrapers are nice and all, but not if they're sitting empty, which is what new buildings would be doing in this economy. There's very little need for more office space in this City. Plenty of vacancy already. I know that doesn't sound "sexy" but it's the reality, and skyscrapers are entities built by private companies who need to generate profits in order to eat.

But I definitely agree with (and have made the same point in other threads) the sentiment that LA's major problems are fixable, whereas other cities' aren't. It takes money to solve problems though, so in the short term, I think if LA could expedite these two issues, we'd be good:

1. Metro rail projects (Expo extension to SM, Purple Line extension, Regional connector)
2. An NFL team at Farmers Field in Downtown (laugh if you must, but the lack of a team makes LA a punchline to many other cities, it's like the one big thing that they have over us, and we can't argue that)
expo line is a joke! what were they thinking? at-grade crossings? come on! it's slow as ****, and it STILL doesn't go to culver city. by this rate it'll reach santa monica by 2020.

Old 06-17-2012, 03:11 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,679,431 times
As others have stated, tall buildings do not equate to urbanity. Paris lacks many tall towers but it most certainly is urban and pedestrian friendly.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:14 PM

464 posts, read 741,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
One very important aspect it has is the exit door. Feel free to use it.
haha...ZING! Fantastic.

Old 06-17-2012, 10:07 PM

1,162 posts, read 2,964,385 times
Culver City in three (3) days.

Metro Expo Line | Metro Expo Line ? Culver City and Farmdale stations opening

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmcrocker View Post
expo line is a joke! what were they thinking? at-grade crossings? come on! it's slow as ****, and it STILL doesn't go to culver city. by this rate it'll reach santa monica by 2020.

Old 06-17-2012, 10:25 PM

5,650 posts, read 7,062,946 times
LA has its own culture. It doesn't need to follow another city's culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or