Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2014, 09:34 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times

Advertisements

Are you serious or being sarcastic ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 11:36 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,858,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I would ignore that.

Just saying LA has a low cost of living makes any other point non-credible. One of the biggest downsides to LA is the high cost of living.

Who on earth would want to live in a 250 square foot apartment, by the way? That is like my living room.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:41 PM

401 posts, read 767,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Who on earth would want to live in a 250 square foot apartment, by the way? That is like my living room.
Whitley House in Hollywood converted to micro-apartments and sold - Los Angeles Times

Old 09-16-2014, 11:45 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,525,189 times
I'm so sick of hearing this. You want Manhattan? Move to Manhattan. CA people who have a boner for NYC just need to do it to get it out of their system to realize how much better it is out here. Move to Bushwick, bang a transplant chick from Kansas, I really don't care. If it makes you feel better just do it.

A buddy of mine is going through this same adolescent stage of moving east from CA and it's just ridiculous. He moved there a few months ago, is already back here for gigs, yet is talking about how much of a POS LA is. Maybe if he had a stable job and income in NYC he could justify it, but this whole "I hate LA, love NYC, live day by day, yet I'll go back when I have to" is just a pipe dream. It's hard to respect. I have a problem with NYC people coming out here for gigs and talking s*** on LA the whole time. If LA was so bad, you'd find a way to avoid it and not come back here for gigs.

So hopefully he will find peace.

Otherwise, I realize the few advantages to NYC (drinking my ass until until the early AM hours, dating is slightly better than LA), but realize Socal is better for the long term to raise a family. Bottom line, I'd much rather live in Socal and have a family over paying the miserable taxes and culture of the Tri-State area (NY, NJ, CT etc.) Not my cup of tea.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:46 PM

Yeesh.

My apartments in The Lido in Hollywood were also former hotel rooms. Except my ~800 square foot 1 bedroom was actually two separate hotel rooms with a shared wall knocked down.

How much do you think those 250 square foot units in HW are going for? I wouldn't pay more than 500 a month but I bet someone does.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
I'm so sick of hearing this. You want Manhattan? Move to Manhattan. CA people who have a boner for NYC just need to do it to get it out of their system to realize how much better it is out here. Move to Bushwick, bang a transplant chick from Kansas, I really don't care. If it makes you feel better just do it.

A buddy of mine is going through this same adolescent stage of moving east from CA and it's just ridiculous. He moved there a few months ago, is already back here for gigs, yet is talking about how much of a POS LA is. Maybe if he had a stable job and income in NYC he could justify it, but this whole "I hate LA, love NYC, live day by day, yet I'll go back when I have to" is just a pipe dream. It's hard to respect.

So hopefully he will find peace.

Otherwise, I realize the few advantages to NYC (drinking my ass until until the early AM hours, dating is slightly better than LA), but realize Socal is better for the long term to raise a family. Bottom line, I'd much rather live in Socal and have a family over paying the miserable taxes and culture of the Tri-State area (NY, NJ, CT etc.) Not my cup of tea.
The thing is, nowhere in LA is really becoming Manhattanized. DTLA already has that urban design for the most part, just because it is having a building boom doesn't mean it is undergoing an transformation of urban form. If anything, Los Angeles is just becoming Los Angeles-ized - tearing down lower-intensity development for medium-to-high density low rise apartments, now they are often mixed-use. It happened in the 60s, 70s, 80, 90, 00s... Not sure why anyone is surprised it is still happening in the teens.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:07 AM

3,190 posts, read 3,185,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Karl View Post
hilarious, by global standards, los angeles is insanely cheap.

i'm certain the average guy in singapore, hong kong, london, etc. is putting around in a privately owned car, paying next to nothing for petrol/parking, while enjoying a house with a yard (not just in front, but in back!). groceries, especially beef/poultry, surely costs peanuts.

yup. los angeles is a "high cost city"
I can't tell if you're a troll or just dumb.

Old 09-17-2014, 07:11 AM

559 posts, read 1,379,697 times
<Hot Karl spew>

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Like a jilted stalker, the fapper is back with his binoculars and box of kleenex to pay LA his "respects." Alas, cuts to mental health services means he'll be a regular part of life on the Los Angeles forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post

<snip>
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
The thing is, nowhere in LA is really becoming Manhattanized. DTLA already has that urban design for the most part, just because it is having a building boom doesn't mean it is undergoing an transformation of urban form. If anything, Los Angeles is just becoming Los Angeles-ized - tearing down lower-intensity development for medium-to-high density low rise apartments, now they are often mixed-use. It happened in the 60s, 70s, 80, 90, 00s... Not sure why anyone is surprised it is still happening in the teens.
But it doesn't cease the non-stop dreaming and drooling <insert image of Homer Simpson + donut> about turning LA into NYC/SF/Chicago...

The apartments being built now aren't the cool, distinctive-looking ones from the 50s, 60s & 70s but generic looking ones that could be going up anywhere in the country. The big problem is homogeneity of what passes for urban, all over the country, if not the world. We're fast approaching the point where a shot of a downtown or TOD could be anywhere city, USA.

Can't a developer take a little risk and throw a bone to a SCI-ARC student to design some distinctly LA apartments?

Old 09-17-2014, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunk on kool aid View Post
<Hot Karl spew>

Like a jilted stalker, the fapper is back with his binoculars and box of kleenex to pay LA his "respects." Alas, cuts to mental health services means he'll be a regular part of life on the Los Angeles forum.

But it doesn't cease the non-stop dreaming and drooling <insert image of Homer Simpson + donut> about turning LA into NYC/SF/Chicago...

The apartments being built now aren't the cool, distinctive-looking ones from the 50s, 60s & 70s but generic looking ones that could be going up anywhere in the country. The big problem is homogeneity of what passes for urban, all over the country, if not the world. We're fast approaching the point where a shot of a downtown or TOD could be anywhere city, USA.

Can't a developer take a little risk and throw a bone to a SCI-ARC student to design some distinctly LA apartments?
I agree, the new stuff has not been great. There are a few exceptions to that, but it should be the other way around - most new apartments should be unique with a handful of generics.

Old 09-17-2014, 10:59 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
I'm guessing this is probably because there is such a demand for housing that the developers can get away with it.

Also from what I've seen LA is pretty anti development so that likely limits creativity as well ... They must follow strict rules , etc

From a business perspective they probably figure why spend the energy and time for an amazing design when they know they can sell pretty much anything they throw up because it's new construction and there's a lack of it .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles