U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 12:46 AM

30 posts, read 87,671 times

Advertisements

I'll be moving to Los Angeles soon from Seattle for college. I'll be living off-campus at an apartment near the Westlake area, while I work part-time and commuting to my classes. Pretty excited I'm finally getting out of this depressing city lol! I've been to L.A. before but it was only for a few days. Does anyone know what the gay scene is like for a 19-year old college guy? What's the best area to be in if I'm gay? I'll have a car as well. Any cool things/events for lgbtqa? Looking to finally getting involved and coming out of the shell after being discrete throughout all of high school. Is the dating scene good there? I also love fashion and I enjoy dressing well whenever I go out, resulting in many stares in downtown Seattle lol.

I'll actually be road tripping to L.A. with my older sister to visit my school and check out the area in general on this coming Sunday. Any advice, tips, and suggestions on where to go/avoid would be extremely helpful! Also, anyone know good places we can go for shopping and entertainment? Hollywood, I assume would be pretty good haha. L.A. is just too big!!!

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2012, 11:10 AM

419 posts, read 856,067 times
West Hollywood has a big gay scene.

Old 06-16-2012, 12:06 PM

10,087 posts, read 13,563,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxj5069 View Post
I'll be moving to Los Angeles soon from Seattle for college. I'll be living off-campus at an apartment near the Westlake area, while I work part-time and commuting to my classes. Pretty excited I'm finally getting out of this depressing city lol! I've been to L.A. before but it was only for a few days. Does anyone know what the gay scene is like for a 19-year old college guy? What's the best area to be in if I'm gay? I'll have a car as well. Any cool things/events for lgbtqa? Looking to finally getting involved and coming out of the shell after being discrete throughout all of high school. Is the dating scene good there? I also love fashion and I enjoy dressing well whenever I go out, resulting in many stares in downtown Seattle lol.

I'll actually be road tripping to L.A. with my older sister to visit my school and check out the area in general on this coming Sunday. Any advice, tips, and suggestions on where to go/avoid would be extremely helpful! Also, anyone know good places we can go for shopping and entertainment? Hollywood, I assume would be pretty good haha. L.A. is just too big!!!

Thanks in advance.
Westlake as in near downtown LA?

Old 06-16-2012, 12:32 PM

2,209 posts, read 3,712,322 times
West Hollywood, for sure. Shopping, well there's always Rodeo Dr., The Grove, and 3rd St Promenade in Santa Monica (the last two are pretty much the same but I prefer 3rd St.) Might want to make a trip to downtown Long Beach as well. Not really sure what you usually shop for but if you want off hand trinket shops and used clothes, those are everywhere.

And yes, I agree with you, Seattle blows.

Old 06-16-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Westlake as in near downtown LA?
Yup!

Thanks for the suggestions so far!

Old 06-16-2012, 02:42 PM

132 posts, read 292,427 times
no gay scene to speak of!

no gays in LA! anywhere!

i'm kidding. but, have you seen westlake? like, have you been there?

i wouldn't feel good about living there.

Old 06-16-2012, 02:45 PM

132 posts, read 292,427 times
but to address your actual topic.

the gay scene is still mostly concentrated in west hollywood.

there are a few gay bars in silver lake, and being from seattle that might be more your style than w. hollywood.

there are a few places in north hollywood, too. i can't think of the names.

gay guys live everywhere in la, though.

like everything else -- it's all spread out.

Old 06-16-2012, 03:47 PM

I've definitely heard of the Silver Lake area, but the apartments are so expensive there. I'm kind of right in between Silver Lake and Westlake area (closer to downtown). I just need to be as close to USC as possible.

Anyway, thanks for your response!

Old 06-16-2012, 07:54 PM

2,976 posts, read 3,326,450 times
Silverlake has a large gay community, but it may not be your "scene". It's mostly older and more macho-type guys. I find that West Hollywood is more geared for younger gays in your age range. North Hollywood (NoHo) is more artsy. Both Silverlake and NoHo are heavy with hipster-types too!

As an older gay male who has lived in L.A. my whole life, please take some advice from me: Be careful and play safe (you know what I mean!). I have done social service-type work in the gay community and worked with HIV-positive people. Don't be one of those young guys who comes to L.A. and goes wild and gets lost in "the scene" and then pays a steep price for it .

Good luck to you and Enjoy!

Old 06-16-2012, 09:40 PM

4,212 posts, read 6,998,622 times
^Yeah definitely be careful. Use condoms.

You can't get into any bars in Silverlake since you're under 21, and you wouldn't want to go there unless you're into older men.

The biggest 18+ gay party in LA is Tigerheat at the Avalon on Hollywood and Vine every Thursday. Most of the crowd there is 18-30 and tons of under 21s as well. Pop music and huge dance floor.

In West Hollywood you can hang out, walk around, not get into most bars... however Rage Nightclub has an 18+ night on Friday and Saturday, while Eleven nightclub has an 18+ night on Tuesdays. So there's 4 out of 7 nights a week you have a place to go to.

I'm just talking about drinking and dancing. What else is gay?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles