U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 09:08 AM

14,320 posts, read 16,141,289 times

Advertisements

LA is car oriented culture. You can get by without a car, but it will be hard and public transportation is inefficient and has delays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 12:02 PM

11 posts, read 22,063 times
I am from Europe as well and have been living in greater LA without a car for 2 months. Previously around Venice/Culver area, now in Long Beach.
Yes, it is very easy to ride your bike anywhere in LA because the streets and sidewalks are super wide, most drivers are considerate and the weather is very good.
There is now in LA a fairly good transit sytsem to allows to take bikes. Stick to rail whenever you can or fast buses but since I've been here, I ve been using my bike for much longer rides than I thought (Long Beach to LA dowtown for exemple).
I also find easy to do grocery shopping as well, just get 2 large bike panniers and you are set. Stay away from backpacks for groceries, they'll kill your back, are much smaller, alter your balance and prevent the air flow from cooling you off.
I would recommend getting a used moutain bike and fitting it with puncture resistant street tires (and a bike rack). It helps tremendously because they grip better and have much lower rolling resistance.
However, there are IMO some specifics in riding in LA vs Northern Europe . Although drivers are considerate when they see you, typical LA drivers are distracted. Be *very* cautious at intersections, especially if you are riding on sidewalks (and if you do, please be considerate of pedestrians), choose streets with bike lanes on google street maps, or streets with less traffic. Wear bright colors, a helmet and make yourself visible by moving in front of stopped cars at red lights and watch out for right turning traffic at red lights, a north american specialty.
Have a good lock as bicycle theft is as common here as Europe. Enjoy riding , it's becoming popular and don't listen to the nay sayers as they really have no idea what they talking about. Most of them have been living in LA for so long that they haven't noticed how much better the area has become for cyclists. Bear in mind that you'll often be the only bicycle rider where ever you go but so what ? You'll be in shape very quickly, save a lot of money and really get to discover the city

Last edited by Nutella; 06-17-2012 at 12:17 PM..

Old 06-17-2012, 12:17 PM

574 posts, read 1,210,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat25 View Post
Hey everyone,

And concerning public transport: would it really be completely impossible to use it in Culver City to go to work or to downtown LA?? And if yes, is it expensive to go to downtown by taxi?

I hope someone can help me

Thanks,
Kathy
you can use the Expo line from culver city that connectt directly to Downtown LA. Taxi is expensive.

Old 06-18-2012, 02:13 PM

46 posts, read 169,140 times
As others have mentioned, there's a new rail line that runs between DT Culver City and DT Los Angeles. The Culver City station isn't open yet, but it will be in two days!

When deciding where to live, take a look at this map–

http://www.metro.net/riding_metro/ma...15_min_map.pdf

It shows the lines with the most frequent service. There are many more local lines that aren't shown on the map, but service on those lines is infrequent and slow. I would try to locate near a rail line or one of the bus lines with "rapid" service which are the skinny red lines on the map. The rapid buses only stop at major intersections and have traffic signal priority so they scoot along pretty fast.

If you have an iphone, get this app– App Store - Routesy LA Metro - Los Angeles Real-Time Bus Arrivals

It shows you when the buses are arriving at your stop in real time. Great for quickly figuring out how much time you have before the next bus.

Old 07-03-2012, 05:30 PM

3 posts, read 2,989 times
thanks everyone, you really helped me a lot!!!!!! This CulverCity BusSystem looks really good.

just one more question: I've heard that it's quite dangerous to use public transportation during the night - does this concern only metro or also the bus lines? And how is the situation during the day? Can I use e.g. the bus from LA international airport to Culver City and feel safe?

Old 07-03-2012, 06:32 PM

397 posts, read 825,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat25 View Post
thanks everyone, you really helped me a lot!!!!!! This CulverCity BusSystem looks really good.

just one more question: I've heard that it's quite dangerous to use public transportation during the night - does this concern only metro or also the bus lines? And how is the situation during the day? Can I use e.g. the bus from LA international airport to Culver City and feel safe?
Public transit is fine during the night. The only difference is the buses tend to be more crowded since the bus don't run as frequently at night. The rail system is fine at any time of the day. But the rail system isn't 24 hour (which is beyond ridiculous).

Old 07-03-2012, 08:25 PM

Location: The Big Apple and Shytown and Miami and Dallas and Milwalkie and St Paul-Mineopolis n DCMV n WestBay
1,290 posts, read 1,624,910 times
The bus is generally very safe day or night. Try to sit near the bus driver at night if you feel scared. I think people are more worried about the area like the walk to/from the bus stop and the waiting especially in dark unlit corners alone. There are some Apps and sites like Nextbus for metro that tell when the time the bus arrives so you only have to wait a few minutes before it comes.

Old 07-04-2012, 11:49 AM

339 posts, read 238,441 times
Buy a used Vespa for $2000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles