U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 03:02 AM

3 posts, read 2,989 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

I have some questions about bikes and public transport and hope to get some answer.
I am a student from Europe and will move to LA in July for doing an internship for three months in Culver City. I have a driver's license, but I'm really out of practise - didn't use it for years now - therefore I was wondering, if I can make it without a car... I am looking for a flat in the near of my work, so that I could use a bike. Is it common to use bikes in LA? Are there kind of bicycle ways I could also use for bigger distances? Is there a possibilty to either rent one for three months or buy a cheap one? And concerning public transport: would it really be completely impossible to use it in Culver City to go to work or to downtown LA?? And if yes, is it expensive to go to downtown by taxi?

I hope someone can help me

Thanks,
Kathy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2012, 04:50 AM

4,020 posts, read 2,935,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat25 View Post
I was wondering, if I can make it without a car...
For three months you probably could but it won't be pleasant. L.A. is not a street corner store culture, so buying groceries may end up being a chore without a car. Still, I have, very recently, spent a month and a half in Rotterdam and shopped at stores halfway across town and was perfectly able to walk or use public transport, so it can be done.
Quote:
I am looking for a flat in the near of my work, so that I could use a bike.
Not a bad idea but a three-month rental will be expensive in Downtown L.A.
Quote:
Is it common to use bikes in LA? Are there kind of bicycle ways I could also use for bigger distances?
More common in some areas than others; the West Side (where Culver City is located) is usually more bike-friendly. You could get away with riding the 15 km to Downtown from Culver City but you'd be dodging traffic and pedestrians and going through some fairly shady areas. L.A. is by no means even close to Europe with respect to public transport and bikes.
Quote:
Is there a possibilty to either rent one for three months or buy a cheap one?
You can buy a cheap bike for $100 at Target or WalMart and then sell it on Craigslist for about $50 before you leave. Or you can skip the stores and just buy one on CL. Not sure about renting.
Quote:
And concerning public transport: would it really be completely impossible to use it in Culver City to go to work or to downtown LA?? And if yes, is it expensive to go to downtown by taxi?
Taxis are expensive, buses aren't impossible but, again, you won't find the same extensive network you're probably used to in Europe. Google Maps actually do a fairly decent job telling you what buses to take. Not sure why you'd want to go to Downtown very often but that's just me.

Old 06-16-2012, 10:56 AM

3,162 posts, read 8,863,869 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...?highlight=car

Old 06-16-2012, 11:10 AM

10,087 posts, read 13,563,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
For three months you probably could but it won't be pleasant. L.A. is not a street corner store culture, so buying groceries may end up being a chore without a car. Still, I have, very recently, spent a month and a half in Rotterdam and shopped at stores halfway across town and was perfectly able to walk or use public transport, so it can be done.Not a bad idea but a three-month rental will be expensive in Downtown L.A.More common in some areas than others; the West Side (where Culver City is located) is usually more bike-friendly. You could get away with riding the 15 km to Downtown from Culver City but you'd be dodging traffic and pedestrians and going through some fairly shady areas. L.A. is by no means even close to Europe with respect to public transport and bikes.You can buy a cheap bike for $100 at Target or WalMart and then sell it on Craigslist for about $50 before you leave. Or you can skip the stores and just buy one on CL. Not sure about renting.Taxis are expensive, buses aren't impossible but, again, you won't find the same extensive network you're probably used to in Europe. Google Maps actually do a fairly decent job telling you what buses to take. Not sure why you'd want to go to Downtown very often but that's just me.
This view of the city is very dated at best.

First, yes it is easy to get from Culver City to Downtown LA. The EXPO Line just opened, literally connecting the two places to each other. The station in Culver City is at the corner of Jefferson and Washington and the train line ends at Figuroa and 7th street.

Additionally, LA is getting the second largest bike share program in the US, maybe it will be installed by the time you get here (I believe in Dec.)

Old 06-16-2012, 12:14 PM

4,020 posts, read 2,935,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
This view of the city is very dated at best.
I have lived in L.A. from 1996 until 2010 and visit regularly. So, no, it's not.
Quote:
First, yes it is easy to get from Culver City to Downtown LA. The EXPO Line just opened, literally connecting the two places to each other. The station in Culver City is at the corner of Jefferson and Washington and the train line ends at Figuroa and 7th street.
The subway finally opened? Heh, good to know.
Quote:
Additionally, LA is getting the second largest bike share program in the US, maybe it will be installed by the time you get here (I believe in Dec.)
About time.

Old 06-16-2012, 12:28 PM

31,586 posts, read 34,821,923 times
I know a lot of people who bike to work. You just have to be fortunate enough to have a place close enough to you job. Other activities are better with a car. Look for a place in Culver and you can do your work/living/shopping there. There is no reason to go to DTLA unless you just want to see it.

Old 06-16-2012, 04:10 PM

93 posts, read 244,636 times
My husband and I live in LA without a car, by choice, and despite what other people may tell you, it's really not a problem. You'll want to choose a place to live that is either near where you work, or near a bus/metro line that will take you to work. But if you take some care in choosing a place to live, using public transportation to get just about anywhere is really no problem.

As someone already mentioned, there's a metro line that runs from Culver City to Downtown LA, so that's quite an easy commute. If you live and work in Culver City, there are lots of local buses to get you here and there, or you can use a bike. When you want to go farther afield, you can uses buses or the metro. (Taxis are very expensive, not a great choice.)

The Los Angeles metro has a website with a trip finder function. You just enter your start address (or an intersection), and your end address, and it will generate options for you. It's easy. Here's the webste: LA Metro Home

Culver City also has its own system of buses. Here's the website for those: Culver City > Government > Transportation > Culver City Bus > Bus Schedules

I disagree with the posters who find no reason to visit downtown. It really depends on the kinds of things you like to do. If you enjoy great cafes and restaurants, art galleries, museums, boutique shopping, historic architecture, outdoor movies, free music in the park, a bustling street life, a walkable neighborhood, and a great community of residents who take pride in their vibrant part of the city, then you have LOTS of reasons to visit downtown. (Or, even to live there, like we do!)

Enjoy your stay in Los Angeles--it's a great city, and I know you'll find lots of fun things to do.

Old 06-16-2012, 04:22 PM

132 posts, read 292,427 times
Actually, there is an excellent bookstore downtown that is reason enough to make a trip down there.

And LA City is fine without a car.

Stop asking and just get on the damn bus.

Old 06-17-2012, 05:19 AM

3 posts, read 2,989 times
thank you for the answers, you already helped me a lot :-) It doesn't sound impossible to be without a car, as there are many alternative ways... I will give it a try!

Old 06-17-2012, 06:52 AM

33,673 posts, read 34,547,537 times
As already mentioned it really depends where one lives and one wants to go. My mother lives without a car in L.A. and gets around on public transportation as she lives just off Wilshire Blvd which has different bus lines running along it that also connect up to the metro/subway line if needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles