U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 03:50 PM

6,556 posts, read 10,299,114 times

Advertisements

Kinda confused. I've heard it was just perfect weather. But that depends on one's definition of "perfect". Is it just dry with no wind? Or is it dry and windy? Please refrain from telling me climate information. I'm simply wondering what it feels like to the everyday person. I'm going to be living in the Valley btw. I want to know the conditions of central LA as well so I can know what type of products to buy for my skin once I get there. I've lived in a dry climate before living in Texas but my skin was almost destroyed. I know better now so I just want to take the proper precautions for this move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2012, 04:07 PM

1,960 posts, read 3,681,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Kinda confused. I've heard it was just perfect weather. But that depends on one's definition of "perfect". Is it just dry with no wind? Or is it dry and windy? Please refrain from telling me climate information. I'm simply wondering what it feels like to the everyday person. I'm going to be living in the Valley btw. I want to know the conditions of central LA as well so I can know what type of products to buy for my skin once I get there. I've lived in a dry climate before living in Texas but my skin was almost destroyed. I know better now so I just want to take the proper precautions for this move.
allenk893,

When people speak of perfect weather here, they usually mean something that won't mess up their summer plans, such as rain or thunderstorms. California, along with the rest of the west coast, has summer-dry weather (for the northwest coast, comparatively dry as opposed to the late fall and winter weather). This is true for LA, and while it is dry here it is not as dry as, say, the eastern side of the mountain states or the great plains (same thing, basically). Due to the large amount of vegetation planted here, it actually can get humid at times, but nothing like the sticky, oppressive air of much of the rest of the nation.

The wind usually kicks up most in the fall months, just before the rainy season begins, and it can do a number on some people on a number of different levels.

You say you will be living in the city itself? I ask because the greater LA area encompasses a number of different climate types; Mediterranean (along the ocean and typical of the French Riviera); semiarid steppe/grassland (much more common and most typical further inland); mountainous (which could be construed in any number of different ways, based on elevation, from a general continental climate to alpine); high desert (such as Lancaster, Palmdale), which is on the other side of the mountains and usually anywhere from 2,000 feet above sea level on up and is like the mountains in that they see snowfall every year; low desert, which is WAY inland (think Palm Springs, Indio, etc.) and is below 2,000 feet (in some cases below sea level); NICE in the winter; REALLY hot in the summer.

Summer is just generally warm and not usually windy.

Old 06-16-2012, 04:09 PM

132 posts, read 291,864 times
it's warm here, sunny.

10 degrees warmer in the valley.

super strong winds on occasion.

santa anas, i think they call them.

otherwise, it's just warm and sunny.

Old 06-16-2012, 05:08 PM

574 posts, read 1,208,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
not much humidity in California

Central LA average highs are in between 80 - 90 sometimes in summer may reach 100 but rarely, average throught the year is in the 70s

the valley is much hotter than the basin highs are about high 90s in summer, average 75 throughout the year

Central LA lows are in the 60s to high 50s as well for the valley

it tends to rain alot in december - late January throught LA Area, but all year is hot and sunny.

next week LA's highs will be in the 90's and lows will be in the mid 70s.

Last edited by jorge112597; 06-16-2012 at 05:26 PM..

Old 06-16-2012, 05:48 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,679,431 times
I met a guy from South Florida once who had moved to So. Calif. (specifically the San Fernando Valley). His comment, "I have never worn my clothes so well as I have here in So. Calif."

Basically, he was saying the low humidity made staying outside for long periods far more tolerable in LA than it is in So. Fla (during the summer months).

Of course, there is no such thing as "perfect weather"....but I would say So. Calif is the closest there is to it within the continental U.S.

Old 06-16-2012, 08:57 PM

1,798 posts, read 2,429,357 times
This article describes the weather in the valley as being "desert-like"
San Fernando Valley Area Weather - Sanfernandoguide.com

That sure would be awesome because I love dry weather, and I cold still be right near the action of LA. It's just hard to imagine it being dry because it still looks fairly green there. I just need to visit out there during the summer, it's been so many years since I've spent a summer in southern Cal.

Old 06-17-2012, 01:09 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,829,715 times
What time of year? I grew up in Van Nuys. Summers were warm-to-hot and generally dry, though the very driest times were during the Santa Ana winds (brush fire season), which could come later in the year. Winter also not generally wet, but could get downright cold in the mornings (well, cold to an Angeleno). City center is not a term used that much in my experience, but if you mean downtown, it is generally a little cooler and more humid than the Valley, with more likelihood of the marine layer that can keep the coast downright cold when it's hot inland. Proper precuations? Good sun block and skin cremes. But you can decide what's best for you once you arrive (and conditions vary from year to year, of course), so why worry in advance? And if it gets too dry for your skin, head to a spa, or the coast.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:06 PM

8,700 posts, read 9,225,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
I met a guy from South Florida once who had moved to So. Calif. (specifically the San Fernando Valley). His comment, "I have never worn my clothes so well as I have here in So. Calif."

Basically, he was saying the low humidity made staying outside for long periods far more tolerable in LA than it is in So. Fla (during the summer months).

Of course, there is no such thing as "perfect weather"....but I would say So. Calif is the closest there is to it within the continental U.S.
That's funny when I was in college I met a guy from So Florida and I had never been there at that point, but I figured it was like SoCal. I asked him why he moved to So Cal and he said, the weather.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:59 AM

6,294 posts, read 15,771,894 times
Compared to anything east of the Continental Divide, the climate here is dry. However, we can have very rainy years (it tends to be either feast or famine - i.e. 6" of rain one year, 30" the next). This past winter seemed more windy than wet as most of the storms were well north of us, so the winds were the only effect we experienced. The Santa Ana winds usually occur in October and November, but can happen at any time of the year if conditions are right. The winds come from the deserts, so the air dries out as it moves here. At those times, moisturizers and lotions are essential. I hope this is helpful. This is just a general answer; we do have micro climates, so it depends very much on where you decide to live. The basic rule of thumb is that the temperature changes get more extreme the further away you get from the coast.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:04 AM

13,451 posts, read 25,355,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Compared to anything east of the Continental Divide, the climate here is dry.
My wife knows a guy from here in Denver who just went to So. Cal for the first time, he complained about how humid it was down there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles