U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 01:50 PM

24 posts, read 63,441 times

Advertisements

I am from Birmingham Alabama. I transferred here with my job. The differences between Birmingham and LA are too many to count. I like LA and I am not going back to the Uber conservative hypocritical South.
Weather is great here, so many options for food and things to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 04:44 PM

2,852 posts, read 5,074,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingV View Post
I am from Birmingham Alabama. I transferred here with my job. The differences between Birmingham and LA are too many to count. I like LA and I am not going back to the Uber conservative hypocritical South.
Weather is great here, so many options for food and things to do.
I guess my next question is are you blessed with some sort of skill-set that sets you aside from the rest of the general population that allow you to "live pretty good" in LA.... However I am glad that you are enjoying yourself in LA...I know what you speak of regarding the uber-conservative hypocritical South. Currently in Charlotte.....

Old 06-22-2012, 04:51 PM

I am a Civil Engineer. There are many PE's all over the country. My wife works as a Immunologist. Is there a specific question that you are looking to have answered?

Old 06-22-2012, 05:00 PM

2,852 posts, read 5,074,282 times
Previous quote below
I
Quote:
m currently in Charlotte, NC(hometown, btw) looking to move west...I've had my eye on Phoenix a very long time....Figured Phoenix would be the best option since the cost of living is affordable. House is currently on the market waiting to sell(trying to be optimisitic). However, Im starting to look at California...I know what you hear on the news about California isn't optmistic, but I see it hasn't stopped people from moving there....I guess, i just worried about not being able to make in California as I am single, which equals 1 income household. Im a college grad (btw, which is a dime a dozen these days), Worked 10years in broadcast news then I transitioned into Banking, which currently I occupy a Business Support role. I've been working in banking going on 7 years. Is it possible or should I just play it safe with Phoenix. I've been to PHoenix on business and pleasure and I absolutely adore it....so, so different than NC, which is welcomed in my eyesight. Just trying to keep options open. I mean yes, I would probably have an active social life in CA than in Phx. but then again CA if only couple hrs drive from Phx. I could drive to Calfornia to "cop the fix"...Thoughts?

Old 06-22-2012, 05:46 PM

Well, Phoenix is about a 6 hour drive from LA so yes you could do that if you really wanted to. I don't know if you have visited LA before or not. I would strongly recommend you visit if you haven't already.

California is very liberal compared to where we used to live. Birmingham is a gossipy little segregated place, no diversity. If you live here in LA be sure that you have the ability to cohabitate with a strong Latino presence.

Housing will be less expensive in Phoenix, but it really gets hot. The climate here in soCal is a Mediterranian climate, we adore it! It was always so humid in AL and there were constant tornados and hurricanes every year.

I would look for a job here and explore your options before you decide that California is right for you. Since you are single you should look at what you could afford for housing. Rent a 1 bedroom apt. or get a roomate or rent a room in someone's home are all viable options. If you can afford a home that would be great but alot of people rent in Los Angeles county.

I can be at the beach here in 20 minutes and in the mountains snow boarding in 1.5 hours. there is more to do here entertainment wise that you can ever get to.

I wish you the Best!

Old 06-22-2012, 07:07 PM

81 posts, read 133,146 times
I'm originally from Tennessee and am moving back to LA very soon (to get involved in entertainment industry)

Things I like better about LA:
Climate
A lot more stuff to do
Beach
Doesn't set off my allergies the way TN does
People (yes, people in TN are very friendly; but I've found it much easier to make friends in LA as there are a lot of transplants also trying to make friends)

Things I like better about TN:
Cost of living
Traffic/parking
Proximity to family
Easy access to out of doors (offset by being much more allergic to the out of doors when I get there)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or