Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 11:44 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,837,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post

A fact that was not allowed in his big trial was how he had beat a elderly woman with a tire iron days before his arrest. He was already well known by the police. The police was tired of him and disgusted by his beating of a elderly woman.
Probably not allowed because it didn't quite happen that way.

November 3, 1989: King, brandishing a tire iron, ordered a convenience store clerk to empty the cash register. The clerk grabbed the tire iron, causing King to fall backwards and knock over a pie rack. King swung the rack at the clerk and fled the store with $200. King was arrested and charged with assault with a deadly weapon, second-degree robbery, and intent to commit great bodily injury. In a plea agreement, King pleaded guilty to the robbery charge and the other charges were dropped. He was sentenced to two years in prison, but was paroled on December 27, 1990.

The Arrest Record of Rodney King
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 04:56 PM

1,331 posts, read 2,334,981 times
I was only like one year old when this whole thing happened back in the 90's but I have read up on it extensively. I have heard people say he deserved it and others say he was innocent and the cops were thugs. I saw the video on YouTube and it looked pretty bad. I'm thinking he was either drunk or had been doing drugs that ultimately made him drown.

Last edited by bradleyyo; 06-19-2012 at 05:44 PM..

Old 06-19-2012, 05:32 PM

50 posts, read 58,799 times
Ol' Rodney wasn't an Angel and the Cops weren't the devil. There's a big gray area that didn't play into the media's story line. I wonder if those in the media who basically edited the tapes to show the most egregious bits ever felt remorseful for what happened to Reginald Denny and the others who died in the riots. Probably not as they sold lotsa advertising and were able to gave media favorites Jessie Jackson and the Reverend Al lotsa face time.

Be that as it may, the cops behavior in the King case was still inexcusable. That locker room bullying attitude some cops have has no place in society.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:22 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,696,237 times
Is it wrong that I thought the headline of this thread said Don King?

Old 06-19-2012, 07:39 PM

203 posts, read 577,118 times
Can't be surprised with the comments here...some are ignorant as expected.

So if it's ok to beat Rodney like that after him running from them, I figure it's ok for cops to beat ANYBODY who's committed any crime, whether it's murder or running a red light. Wait...no, that's what the court is for. The cops are never the ones that are supposed to hand out the justice. But we know that...right?

And nobody EVER said Rodney was an angel. And the media was ALWAYS supportive of Reginald Denny. Even most Black folks felt bad for Reginald and wanted justice to be served.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:47 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,818,961 times
Sad for the cops involved in the beating- sad for L.A.- sad for Mr King- The whole matter was unfortunate. King was typical of lost black males that could have amounted to something great and good- circumstance and environment are to blame.. King was not born bad...nor were the cops. all of them were babes in the arms of loving mothers at one time- just like all of us...There for the grace of God go I.. We the survivors are lucky and we had parental protection and guidance- some people don't get that.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:10 PM

457 posts, read 756,716 times
"Can't we all just get along" - Rodney may not be an angel but those words were godsend. RIP

Old 06-20-2012, 02:06 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,841,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmode View Post
"Can't we all just get along" - Rodney may not be an angel but those words were godsend. RIP
Unfortunately, the country has grown much more divided in the decades since the incident. We have big issues with getting along.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:21 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,420,310 times
I don't feel like I really know what Rodney was like as a person. I don't have enough information to go on. But, I was impressed by some things he said after the famous event. I guess it's natural that people would want to spin those statements one way or another. As for me, I am impressed that he could say things that sounded wise and statesmanlike, despite what he had gone thru. Despite the degree to which events that he or others were "to blame" for what happened later. In any case, I think we should remember a fellow human being and not vilify some object of our imaginations.

Old 06-21-2012, 04:51 PM

1,626 posts, read 4,014,306 times
His fiance said he was drinking and smoking pot in the hours before he died. He was on the show Celebrity Rehab so it sounds like he was another victim of addiction. His father, also an addict, died in his 40's as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles