U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 10:29 AM

42,278 posts, read 41,691,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerprint456 View Post
You do realize that you are referencing something that happened in 1992 (20 years ago) right? Do you really think the riot is still going on? Use your street smarts from manhattan and you will be okay.
USC is in the center of the ghetto. The whole area around the campus is pretty scary especially at night. There is a valid reason to be concerned.

Oh, yeah, and this just happened a couple of months ago....

Two USC Students From China Shot, Killed Near Campus - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2012, 03:50 PM

59 posts, read 173,686 times
Let's just say don't go out after 10pm. Check out UCLA. It's a bit safer and around richer neighborhoods.

Old 06-23-2012, 05:25 PM

83 posts, read 118,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenPatton View Post
Let's just say don't go out after 10pm. Check out UCLA. It's a bit safer and around richer neighborhoods.
Yes, the much safer alternative. Go Bruins!

Old 06-23-2012, 06:27 PM

2,276 posts, read 4,670,288 times
Go to UCLA. Besides being in the richest neighborhood in LA, it's a better school.

Old 06-23-2012, 06:40 PM

29,100 posts, read 22,740,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisjongalt View Post
Go to UCLA. Besides being in the richest neighborhood in LA, it's a better school.
Umm... Westwood is not the "richest" neighborhood in Los Angeles - and even if it was - so what? Does the relative incomes of the surrounding population really make a difference as to the quality of a university? And in what ways is UCLA overall better then USC? Certainly, there are some majors where one would choose UCLA over USC - but in the case of these two prestigious schools - I don't think one can make such a sweeping generalization.

Choosing an institution of higher learning is a process that leans heavily on subjective criteria - and many factors will be part of a final decision as to what school to attend. UCLA might not be a good fit for the OP - depending on what they want to study - scholarships that they can earn - financial issues - housing - work location, ect... Obviously they are concerned about the immediate neighborhood surrounding USC. My advice would be to first determine if USC is right for them based on other things - and then worry about safety. There are certainly crime victims who go to UCLA - and there are most certainly USC students who have lived in and around the University Park who have never experienced any crime.

One must always be aware of their surroundings and use common sense no matter where they are. Are the neighborhoods surrounding USC considered high crime areas? Yes. Does this mean that USC should be immediately dismissed as a potential choice? No.

Old 06-23-2012, 10:22 PM

49 posts, read 127,842 times
Yes this guy is trolling, but if he wasn't then i would say make sure you stay as close to campus as possible. Don't go south of Exposition unless going through the science center, don't go west of Vermont, and don't go north of Adams. I wouldnt say USC is in the midle of the ghetto, more like close to the edge, but its surly in there. You must never go pass Exposition and west of Vermont because those are some of the WORST neighborhoods in the entire city. I know the Roland 60 Crips are rampant. Koreatown is ghetto but contrary to popular belief, its pretty safe but its still ghetto. Just make sure you stay close to the campus at all times.

Old 06-24-2012, 04:59 AM

13,452 posts, read 25,358,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob3gdd View Post
Yes this guy is trolling, but if he wasn't then i would say make sure you stay as close to campus as possible. Don't go south of Exposition unless going through the science center, don't go west of Vermont, and don't go north of Adams.
Basically, don't leave campus.

Old 06-24-2012, 06:54 AM

1,181 posts, read 2,679,898 times
For anyone serious (not the OP obviously) USC is an excellent school. So is UCLA. (Oops, my father, a USC grad, just turned over in his grave LOL). USC is in a bad area of the City and that might be a concern but i would not let it stop you from attending there. Base your decision on where to go to college (anywhere) on how the school matches your criteria and of course your budget, scholarshiop offers, etc.

Old 06-24-2012, 08:39 PM

2,276 posts, read 4,670,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Umm... Westwood is not the "richest" neighborhood in Los Angeles - and even if it was - so what? Does the relative incomes of the surrounding population really make a difference as to the quality of a university? And in what ways is UCLA overall better then USC? Certainly, there are some majors where one would choose UCLA over USC - but in the case of these two prestigious schools - I don't think one can make such a sweeping generalization.

Choosing an institution of higher learning is a process that leans heavily on subjective criteria - and many factors will be part of a final decision as to what school to attend. UCLA might not be a good fit for the OP - depending on what they want to study - scholarships that they can earn - financial issues - housing - work location, ect... Obviously they are concerned about the immediate neighborhood surrounding USC. My advice would be to first determine if USC is right for them based on other things - and then worry about safety. There are certainly crime victims who go to UCLA - and there are most certainly USC students who have lived in and around the University Park who have never experienced any crime.

One must always be aware of their surroundings and use common sense no matter where they are. Are the neighborhoods surrounding USC considered high crime areas? Yes. Does this mean that USC should be immediately dismissed as a potential choice? No.
Ummm ...Bel Air is across the street, which, I would say is the richest neighborhood in Los Angeles. I'll agree with you on weighing the relative scholastic benefits but, either way, USC is in a ghetto and that seems to be of major concern to the OP.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:14 AM

9,197 posts, read 14,474,592 times
Or...
Opt for UCSB. No gangs of thugs or snobs to distract one from the university experience. Just an idyllic place to go to a very high-quality school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or