U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 04:53 AM

2 posts, read 4,442 times

Advertisements

depends on where you're from, ghetto is a relative word. the surrounding area around usc is definitely not nice, its low income and urban. Being raised in beautiful south orange county, when I first saw USC I totally thought this place was straight up ghetto. All the buildings are ugly and old, as are the houses, roads are all old, just so ugly and cracked, graffiti everywhere, hobos chillin under the bridge, and there are tons of mexicans and black people (sorry I know it's racist, but it's just the demographics.) This is common for just all of LA though, quite a **** hole in my opinion, cept for a few select neighborhoods. If you grew up in LA and are used to it you would know that, the city could be so much worse. LA in general is a pretty nasty city, Kobe Bryant doesn't even live there because it's a bad place to raise his kids. So yea I think USC is totally ghetto, it's the kind of place where many stores have bars around the windows and homeless people live under the freeway bridge. This is pretty common for LA though, being a huge urban area. Some places in mexico are better than the area around usc. Tijuana and USC are actually pretty similar looking. When I went to mexico for the first time I thought "hey what's so bad about this there are some places in los angeles that are totally worse than this."

Sorry I'm ranting the gist is that the area around USC is not pleasant, it's not outright gangster territory either, but I would definitely not want to live there. There are too many poor people and the buildings, roads, and sidewalks are all old and ugly. If you want a nice surrounding in SoCal try UCI or UCSD

The best thing to do is to go there and visit. See for yourself. Also it is important to note that inglewood, crenshaw, and compton, cities notorious for gangs and violence are all within just a couple miles of USC, so there is definitely some residual rachet-ness influencing the neighborhood around usc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 09:41 AM

13,047 posts, read 11,089,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by partypajamas View Post
My parents are asian and we are from manhattan...
Maybe they would feel more comfortable with you attending Columbia. My daughter goes to Columbia and has never had a problem.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:52 AM

2,431 posts, read 2,942,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goeats22 View Post
depends on where you're from, ghetto is a relative word...
True. And you wouldnt have needed to apologize so often instead of insulting a whole area that you feel is unfavorable just because minority old or poor people live there, if you had just been discrete with "...that the area around USC is not pleasant." Or do they not teach tact at USC either?

Old 01-20-2013, 02:42 PM

25,408 posts, read 18,903,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Maybe they would feel more comfortable with you attending Columbia. My daughter goes to Columbia and has never had a problem.
Columbia is pretty close to some housing projects in HARLEM. To be honest, many elite institutions are close to some pretty run down areas.......

And with that said, that doesn't necessarily mean you're at danger if you go there. A lot of that is just in people's minds.

Old 01-20-2013, 02:50 PM

2,972 posts, read 3,995,240 times
The area around USC (and most of LA in general save for the Westside) is downright hideously rundown. Heck, I grew up in the Inland Empire (Upland, Riverside, Rancho Cucamonga) and LA makes the IE seem like an upscale paradise in comparison. On that note, it's funny how people bash on the Inland Empire when in fact it's much cleaner on a whole than LA.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:24 PM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 2,748,669 times
Quote:

Sorry I'm ranting the gist is that the area around USC is not pleasant, it's not outright gangster territory either, but I would definitely not want to live there. There are too many poor people and the buildings, roads, and sidewalks are all old and ugly. If you want a nice surrounding in SoCal try UCI or UCSD

Most top students look at the quality of education rather than the condition of the sidewalks. USC is a better school than UCSD or UCI.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:15 AM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 11,026,343 times
Is the area really that bad at night, or are some overstating it? I hung around the USC area for a few hours during the day and really liked it. I could tell parts of the area were a little ghetto, but I knew when I had ventured too far.

Maybe a little more run-down than other areas, but the immediate area around USC can't be that bad. Or can it?

Old 01-21-2013, 11:56 AM

1,046 posts, read 1,398,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by partypajamas View Post
My parents are asian and we are from manhattan....after reading about the heavy amount of blacks in the south central area and the 1992 riots in which blacks attacked asians for no reason, my parents are extremely worried about the safety of the area....

i will never leave campus of course except for parties in local USC housing, but is the immdiate area around USC safe? how vigilant are the USC police in protecting students ?
First, are your parents racists? I think there's more latinos around SC than blacks but even so, who cares? It's getting gentrified (not sure if that's a good thing) but that 1992 thing is so old news half the people from that time are old now. Your peeps watch too much tv and believe everything on it...

Old 01-21-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
depends on where you're from, ghetto is a relative word. the surrounding area around usc is definitely not nice, its low income and urban. Being raised in beautiful south orange county, when I first saw USC I totally thought this place was straight up ghetto. All the buildings are ugly and old, as are the houses, roads are all old, just so ugly and cracked, graffiti everywhere, hobos chillin under the bridge, and there are tons of mexicans and black people (sorry I know it's racist, but it's just the demographics.) This is common for just all of LA though, quite a **** hole in my opinion, cept for a few select neighborhoods. If you grew up in LA and are used to it you would know that, the city could be so much worse. LA in general is a pretty nasty city, Kobe Bryant doesn't even live there because it's a bad place to raise his kids. So yea I think USC is totally ghetto, it's the kind of place where many stores have bars around the windows and homeless people live under the freeway bridge. This is pretty common for LA though, being a huge urban area. Some places in mexico are better than the area around usc. Tijuana and USC are actually pretty similar looking. When I went to mexico for the first time I thought "hey what's so bad about this there are some places in los angeles that are totally worse than this."

The best thing to do is to go there and visit. See for yourself. Also it is important to note that inglewood, crenshaw, and compton, cities notorious for gangs and violence are all within just a couple miles of USC, so there is definitely some residual rachet-ness influencing the neighborhood around usc.
This has to be one of the most racist posts I've ever seen.

Last edited by taydigga; 01-21-2013 at 01:27 PM..

Old 01-21-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Is the area really that bad at night, or are some overstating it? I hung around the USC area for a few hours during the day and really liked it. I could tell parts of the area were a little ghetto, but I knew when I had ventured too far.

Maybe a little more run-down than other areas, but the immediate area around USC can't be that bad. Or can it?
Nah, it's not, I've kicked it over there a few times. Some parts around there are a little risqué but in general I think since it's a poor neighborhood with a lot of blacks and hispanics some people just don't dig that, a la the post above. Not to say there isn't any crime, because there is, there will always be some crime in poorer neighborhoods, but people make it seem like USC is surrounded by what you see going on in some parts of Chicago and Detroit and it's so far from that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or