Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 11:19 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,114,378 times

Advertisements

Walkability is pretty much tough thing in LA.

Smog is often prevalent during the summer. You'll get warm weather but it's often unpleasant with the smog. It feels dry and dirty. L.A.'s best weather is around fall and spring imo. No june gloom and comfortable heat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 11:25 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,114,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
understandable. Children raised in New York have no chance to grow up to be productive and successful members of society
If you can make it in new york, you can make it anywhere.. Or so I'm told.

But anyway, which city do you want your girl to represent? Want her to be a new yorker?

If anything, just dont let her grow up like a valley girl. If there is one thing I admire about New Yorkers is their no bull**** attitude.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:27 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,856,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Walkability is pretty much tough thing in LA.

Smog is often prevalent during the summer. You'll get warm weather but it's often unpleasant with the smog. It feels dry and dirty. L.A.'s best weather is around fall and spring imo. No june gloom and comfortable heat.
I guess if you live in a far corner of Atwater Village you'd have that perception, but there are plenty of areas that are highly walkable - too many to list, that is for sure.

The problem is what the OP is looking for - walkable, bungalow/SFH, bikeable/walking distance to the beach, and at a price that isn't for the elite only. I'm sure there are tons of bungalows in Venice, Manhattan Beach, Santa Monica, Redondo Beach, which are all highly walkable and pretty close to the beach - the problem is even a small house in these places are going to cost you at least $2500 a month... Most of the residents of these areas live in apartment buildings.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:36 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,597,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I guess if you live in a far corner of Atwater Village you'd have that perception, but there are plenty of areas that are highly walkable - too many to list, that is for sure.

The problem is what the OP is looking for - walkable, bungalow/SFH, bikeable/walking distance to the beach, and at a price that isn't for the elite only. I'm sure there are tons of bungalows in Venice, Manhattan Beach, Santa Monica, Redondo Beach, which are all highly walkable and pretty close to the beach - the problem is even a small house in these places are going to cost you at least $2500 a month... Most of the residents of these areas live in apartment buildings.
that sounds very low for a detached home. Hell, there are 1 bedroom apartments that rent for close to 2500 w/in walking distance to the beach in SM.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:44 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,856,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
that sounds very low for a detached home. Hell, there are 1 bedroom apartments that rent for close to 2500 w/in walking distance to the beach in SM.
yeah it is very low, just giving a conservative estimate.

Like I said, most people in LA live in apartments, because that is what most people can afford.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:53 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,597,482 times
Yup, agree 100%.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:16 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,128,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefdiesel View Post
I wonder if my close enough to the ocean and your close to the ocean are vastly different. I don't mean living where you can see or even hear the waves, but more like can ride a bike to, or even walk to within a reasonable distance. I'm talking NY walking distance too.

We would like a beach to be within striking distance, not day trip distance. Are we still talking 4k rent?
Yes. By close, I mean within 5 miles or so. If you're willing to drive 30 minutes to the beach, you may have more options. Ultimately, your housing budget will determine where you can live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles