Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 11:48 AM

79 posts, read 193,184 times

Advertisements

I was not happy about having to travel to Los Angeles for work. Don't get me wrong, I love to see new places but prefer smaller towns and natural areas and was not enthusiastic about visiting a vast urban area all alone such a long way from my Florida home. But as it turned out I had a wonderful visit and wish I had scheduled in some extra days since I barely scratched the surface.

1. The first couple of nights I stayed near the airport in El Segundo and found time to visit the beach communities. I loved the character of Hermosa Beach - the pier area with its surf shops was classic - Manhattan Beach was very nice too. I wanted to dine in Marina Del Rey but the traffic was jammed so I headed to Venice Beach - the board walk was quite entertaining reminded me of Key West but with special businesses whose employees wear bright green. I went on to Santa Monica and was blown away by the beach, the pier with the amusement park, the wonderful linear public space along the bluff on Ocean Avenue and the interesting qualities of the community. I could see myself living there! I could not keep my eyes off of the beautiful curving shoreline heading north toward Malibu with the Santa Monica Mountains as a backdrop - it was very familiar to me since I have seen it on TV hundreds of times! Florida has terrific beaches but we cannot match the scenic vistas of the Los Angeles coast. But I will say the ocean water is much warmer here.

2. One of my best days started with a visit to Brentwood, Westwood and UCLA - wonderful campus and wonderful surroundings. I drove around Beverly Hills - extreme architecture and extreme landscaping. It was surprising how fast people drive down Benedict Canyon and other steep curving roadways. Did the tourist things in Hollywood, Griffith Observatory was fabulous, I was amazed by seeing snow out in the distance on Big Bear. In the afternoon I was in the studio audience of the Tonight Show which was a good time.

3. I spent a couple of nights downtown which was at first scary - maybe because I drove there via the south central area (which reminded me of Miami) - and I felt bad for the homeless people. Then on a Sunday morning there was a family bike day where streets were blocked off and an estimated 100,000 riders toured the downtown. I kept seeing buildings from movies - like the Los Angeles Theater - and loved the Grand Central Market and families out walking and shopping in the apparel district. Went to a Lakers game at the Staples Center and was in awe of the retired jerseys and championship banners. L.A. Live was a lot of fun. Took a look at USC - wonderful campus but not so wonderful nearby. Downtown, I discovered, is well worth experiencing.

4. At the end of the trip I headed for Malibu. Point Dume and Zuma Beach were highlights of the trip - Point Dume is a California image that will always be in my head. Then I went further north (west?) and ended up in Santa Barbara which was perfect in most every way, if you are rich. Loved the waterfront, saw some Grey Whales, the downtown street was impeccable (similar to Naples or Sarasota), and the drive along the ridge line up above the town was memorable including a Rattlesnake on the road and fearless hang gliders.

To me the diversity of Los Angeles was biggest surprise. It is not one city, it is a wide collection of places and people. Now I am dreaming of a return visit this time with my family!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 11:56 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,861,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squiffynole View Post
I was not happy about having to travel to Los Angeles for work. Don't get me wrong, I love to see new places but prefer smaller towns and natural areas and was not enthusiastic about visiting a vast urban area all alone such a long way from my Florida home. But as it turned out I had a wonderful visit and wish I had scheduled in some extra days since I barely scratched the surface.

1. The first couple of nights I stayed near the airport in El Segundo and found time to visit the beach communities. I loved the character of Hermosa Beach - the pier area with its surf shops was classic - Manhattan Beach was very nice too. I wanted to dine in Marina Del Rey but the traffic was jammed so I headed to Venice Beach - the board walk was quite entertaining reminded me of Key West but with special businesses whose employees wear bright green. I went on to Santa Monica and was blown away by the beach, the pier with the amusement park, the wonderful linear public space along the bluff on Ocean Avenue and the interesting qualities of the community. I could see myself living there! I could not keep my eyes off of the beautiful curving shoreline heading north toward Malibu with the Santa Monica Mountains as a backdrop - it was very familiar to me since I have seen it on TV hundreds of times! Florida has terrific beaches but we cannot match the scenic vistas of the Los Angeles coast. But I will say the ocean water is much warmer here.

2. One of my best days started with a visit to Brentwood, Westwood and UCLA - wonderful campus and wonderful surroundings. I drove around Beverly Hills - extreme architecture and extreme landscaping. It was surprising how fast people drive down Benedict Canyon and other steep curving roadways. Did the tourist things in Hollywood, Griffith Observatory was fabulous, I was amazed by seeing snow out in the distance on Big Bear. In the afternoon I was in the studio audience of the Tonight Show which was a good time.

3. I spent a couple of nights downtown which was at first scary - maybe because I drove there via the south central area (which reminded me of Miami) - and I felt bad for the homeless people. Then on a Sunday morning there was a family bike day where streets were blocked off and an estimated 100,000 riders toured the downtown. I kept seeing buildings from movies - like the Los Angeles Theater - and loved the Grand Central Market and families out walking and shopping in the apparel district. Went to a Lakers game at the Staples Center and was in awe of the retired jerseys and championship banners. L.A. Live was a lot of fun. Took a look at USC - wonderful campus but not so wonderful nearby. Downtown, I discovered, is well worth experiencing.

4. At the end of the trip I headed for Malibu. Point Dume and Zuma Beach were highlights of the trip - Point Dume is a California image that will always be in my head. Then I went further north (west?) and ended up in Santa Barbara which was perfect in most every way, if you are rich. Loved the waterfront, saw some Grey Whales, the downtown street was impeccable (similar to Naples or Sarasota), and the drive along the ridge line up above the town was memorable including a Rattlesnake on the road and fearless hang gliders.

To me the diversity of Los Angeles was biggest surprise. It is not one city, it is a wide collection of places and people. Now I am dreaming of a return visit this time with my family!
Nice write-up, that is one of the things I love about LA, there seems to be something for just about everyone. Pretty great timing to go to Downtown LA during CycLAvia!

Old 06-14-2012, 02:33 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,117,157 times
Rich people really know how to enjoy a city. Assuming you are considering you saw the lakers was part of a studio audience and did all that. For us even living here, it would be like "Someday we will see the lakers.. Some day".

Next time you come, check out Dodger Stadium, and the Mexican food.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Rich people really know how to enjoy a city. Assuming you are considering you saw the lakers was part of a studio audience and did all that. For us even living here, it would be like "Someday we will see the lakers.. Some day".

Studio audience is almost always free.

My wife and I were walking around Hollywood and Highland a couple weeks ago and a PA for the Kimmel Show walked up to us and asked if we wanted to fill the last two spots in the studio audience, totally free and we didn't even have to wait in line (it was like 10 minutes before the show started).

Old 06-14-2012, 02:50 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,117,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Studio audience is almost always free.

My wife and I were walking around Hollywood and Highland a couple weeks ago and a PA for the Kimmel Show walked up to us and asked if we wanted to fill the last two spots in the studio audience, totally free and we didn't even have to wait in line (it was like 10 minutes before the show started).
That's pretty cool. I learned something today..

Old 06-14-2012, 02:58 PM

Quote:
That's pretty cool. I learned something today..
Shows like Conan O Brien have a lottery system, but it if you try enough it sounds like you will get a seat.

The waiting in line is the biggest reason I've only done it that one time.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:30 PM

573 posts, read 1,361,361 times
Quote:

glad you enjoyed Los Angeles

Old 06-14-2012, 06:35 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,846,598 times
Always happy to hear when our city makes a positive impression on visitors! It sounds like you made VERY good use of your time here.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:29 PM

491 posts, read 2,290,820 times
Quote:

You are making assumptions and judgements about people you don't know.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:36 PM

491 posts, read 2,290,820 times
Quote:

Exactly! Glad you experienced such a nice variety of things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles