Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 02:50 PM

240 posts, read 1,423,617 times

Advertisements

Here are some public interest law organizations that might help you if you can't afford to hire a lawyer and are eligible for their services: This information is several years old and it is possible that one or more of these organizations have changed their addresses so you can look up their names in your phone book to make an appointment and verify the address. Most of these organizations will require that you meet their income criteria and have an appointment before they will help you.

Bet Tzedik Legal Services, 145 Fairfax Ave. Suite 200, LA. (housing law)
Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles, 1102 South Crenshaw Blvd., LA (housing law)
Los Angeles Center for Law and Justice, 2603 East First Street, LA (housing law)
Public Counsel, 601 South Ardmore, LA (213) 385-2977 (housing)

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 03:04 PM

19 posts, read 109,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine Joan View Post
Here are some public interest law organizations that might help you if you can't afford to hire a lawyer and are eligible for their services: This information is several years old and it is possible that one or more of these organizations have changed their addresses so you can look up their names in your phone book to make an appointment and verify the address. Most of these organizations will require that you meet their income criteria and have an appointment before they will help you.

Bet Tzedik Legal Services, 145 Fairfax Ave. Suite 200, LA. (housing law)
Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles, 1102 South Crenshaw Blvd., LA (housing law)
Los Angeles Center for Law and Justice, 2603 East First Street, LA (housing law)
Public Counsel, 601 South Ardmore, LA (213) 385-2977 (housing)

Good luck.
Thank you Christine.

Old 09-27-2007, 11:29 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,423,626 times
Default Evidently...

... this must be a sore subject for those in your area - cause this guy sure did get a reamin'! Anyhow, I live in the Twin Cities & am looking to move to LA. Housing law is VERY different here - VERY. So, I have been doing all the research I can into what things are like there.

Here are a couple links I have found that seem to filled with quite useful information.

RENT CONTROL MADE SIMPLE & A WHOLE LOT MORE
RENT STABILIZATION ORDINANCES
RENT STABILIZATION REGULATIONS

From what I've read thus far, it seems a good deal of what the Paralegal said was true. It also DOES NOT MATTER whether you DID or DID NOT know it was illegal (or whether the landlord did either for that matter). Frankly, I find it highly suspect that any property owner wouldn't know - given the strict rules & regulations - seems far more likely that the tenant wouldn't have a clue one way or the other.

As everyone has said - FIND A LAWYER specializing in housing law. Law schools are a good place to try. Also, tenants' rights groups & such in your area should be able to refer you somewhere - keep looking & keep asking questions. Property owners will do their best to get you to forgo your rights to certain monies & such - DON'T BE INTIMIDATED.

I get the whole idea that you've made your life there & cannot (or do not want to) move elsewhere. At the same time, if you really have had it pretty dayum easy for the last 10 years - you may consider that our world has just gotten more & more ugly because people sue simply because they can. Only you know what the truth is. Please don't sue if it's just that a good ride has come to an end. That karma will follow you. Do the right thing.

All the best to you...

Old 09-28-2007, 08:03 AM

Thanks for the links. The best thing I found and it could be helpful to you as well because you're thinking of moving here. Home - California Department of Consumer Affairs Home - California Department of Consumer Affairs

The facts are I did NOT know and the owner and landlord did know. I really don't think it matters there is a "Implied Warranty of Habitability." See discussion of the implied warranty of habitability California Tenants - California Department of Consumer Affairs

I'm suing because these people are evil and I can't go into it here. They have wronged me and I am out at great personal and financial expense. There are just some things and sometimes when you have to put your foot down and go the distance, this is one of them. They are trying to intimidate me again, notice I said again.

Old 09-28-2007, 06:23 PM

Illegal Apartment Owners Beware!

More info for tenants.

Old 09-29-2007, 03:53 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,171,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innerdream View Post
Illegal Apartment Owners Beware!

More info for tenants.
Your link applies to NJ. You really need to find a lawyer around here to get the laws that are applicable to California.

Old 09-29-2007, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Your link applies to NJ. You really need to find a lawyer around here to get the laws that are applicable to California.
Quite aware of that. It's important to know what is possible though, laws change.

Last edited by Innerdream; 09-29-2007 at 10:18 AM..

Old 10-02-2007, 08:10 PM

4 posts, read 32,604 times
You should check with Los Angeles Housing Dept to see if you have a case for relocation assistance . If it is rent controlled you may.
I found this site because I was googeling renters rights. I think whats been happening in Los Angeles is atrocious to say the least. Rent increases of 5 percent or more and rents up tp 3000.00. I see so many people sleeping in their cars in the morning when I am out walking my dog, its scary. These are NOT homeless people by choice ..obviously.
I URGE everyone that rents or owns( because who knows, u may rent one day..or ur kids), to write the Mayor, and our Senators about this. I truely believe there is great corruption within our City Council. Please get active to stop this insanity.
Also..if youhave a signed lease, I am sure you can sue.

Old 10-02-2007, 08:56 PM

I'm with you man/mam.

It is so scary how corrupt people are, my landlord is a bona fide slum lord in BH that uses threats and intimidation, acts that are criminal, to keep people from standing up to him. The entire building know's it and his attorneys are a joke. How anyone with a conscious can represent someone like him is way beyond me - they threaten women for gods sake. Amazing how money makes people cast their brothers aside, the whole frikin world is in denial...

Okay, so here's the deal. In BH the landlords have all the might, look at other states remedies compared to here, even other parts of LA. The only way I'm going to see justice is to sue the people involved.

You know what people take the power back, dare to stand up and fight or live in your shell of denial and pay the price. Write your representatives and make changes to protect yourselves.

Last edited by Innerdream; 10-02-2007 at 10:05 PM..

Old 10-02-2007, 09:04 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innerdream View Post
Well, there is quite a bit more to the story, it involves the police and the DA. So mind your own ****ing business if your not here to help.

how uncouth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles