U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2012, 03:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,798 times

Advertisements

Hello! I live in Pittsburgh and my company recently purchased a multitude of buildings on the West coast and is now looking for employees to make the move West to work in these buildings. I would be getting a promotion and my salary would be much higher than it is here in PA. I'm married and my husband works for Dick's, so he could transfer to a store out there no problem. I have two daughters. The oldest just graduated from high school, she wanted to move to LA on her own but I refused as she is only 18 and couldn't live across the country by herself. She is attending a school in New York but has said that if we move to California she would rather come with us. My other daughter will be a sophomore in high school next year and is not totally opposed to making the move as she does not like her school and loves California. Before I make any decisions on what to do, I wanted to get opinions on those who live in LA or have made the move there. Also, can anyone recommend any nice, safe neighborhoods for a family. We could probably swing anywhere from 250,000 to 350,000. Any other thoughts or opinions would greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 11:32 PM

418 posts, read 1,602,206 times
What part of town will you be working in?

$250K-$350K won't get you much (or anything) in a good LA neighborhood. Pretty much nothing on the west side, and very very slim pickings on the east side. You'll have to go further inland to find anything, but if your job is in LA proper, you could be in for an ugly commute.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:13 AM

3,161 posts, read 9,002,807 times
Where in LA are we talking? As mentioned above, $300k wont get you far - it will get you into a 1 bedroom "condo" in most places in what would be considered Los Angeles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 06-22-2012, 09:58 AM

2,865 posts, read 5,167,055 times
Hey also looking to move west as well. What is the name of the company by chance that are looking for employees to move west? That is if you want to share.

Old 06-22-2012, 11:00 AM

3,161 posts, read 9,002,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Hey also looking to move west as well. What is the name of the company by chance that are looking for employees to move west? That is if you want to share.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmy1672 View Post
Hello! I live in Pittsburgh and my company recently purchased a multitude of buildings on the West coast and is now looking for employees to make the move West to work in these buildings. I would be getting a promotion and my salary would be much higher than it is here in PA. I'm married and my husband works for Dick's, so he could transfer to a store out there no problem. I have two daughters. The oldest just graduated from high school, she wanted to move to LA on her own but I refused as she is only 18 and couldn't live across the country by herself. She is attending a school in New York but has said that if we move to California she would rather come with us. My other daughter will be a sophomore in high school next year and is not totally opposed to making the move as she does not like her school and loves California. Before I make any decisions on what to do, I wanted to get opinions on those who live in LA or have made the move there. Also, can anyone recommend any nice, safe neighborhoods for a family. We could probably swing anywhere from 250,000 to 350,000. Any other thoughts or opinions would greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Old 06-22-2012, 11:03 AM

7,159 posts, read 19,878,306 times
where exactly will your office be? there are bedroom communities outside LA with homes in your price range, but they would be tough commutes into the city. a place like simi valley might be worth a look IF you won't have to commute too far.

Old 06-22-2012, 11:33 AM

2 posts, read 3,492 times
Los Angeles is a HUGE city, with a HUGE traffic problem. There are many, many "suburbs" in Los Angeles County so it would be impossible to give you advice on where to live. It is very dependent on where you will be working, and/or what kind of commute you are willing to deal with and whether or not you will take public transportation or drive. The amount of money you have to spend on a house will not enable you to buy anything on the Westside (anywhere near or within 15 miles of the beach) or even in Greater Los Angeles. The further away from downtown or the beach, the cheaper the housing will be. Although prices are fairly low at the moment, you still will have to move to the deeper parts of the San Fernando Valley or other outlying areas (Lancaster/Palmdale) of Los Angeles to be able to buy anything in the $350,000 range. As far as "safe" is concerned, Los Angeles is a mixed bag. There are "bad" areas a block or two away from "good" areas. Some areas are "safer" than others but there are pockets of both all over the county. Good luck.

Old 06-22-2012, 11:56 AM

1,882 posts, read 2,988,319 times
you probably won't do this as hardly no one seems to, at least out of towners. but i would live on the eastside. i live on the eastside right now, and have lived here before, and i love it. its working class, it isn't hollywood, and it is predominately latino and asian, and some people aren't comfortable with that. but you can find fantastic places to live in out of the way places like alhambra, lincoln heights, montecito heights, and el sereno and eagle rock. the westside is overrated and i find the people far friendlier here on the eastside. nobody has anything to prove out here. of course, having never lived here, maybe you want the typical LA experience where your neighbors are rich heiresses with little dogs and former sitcom actors. i don't know. i would definitely pull a map down and check out this neighborhood.

and be wary of real estate listings. get addresses, don't trust their assessment of the neighborhood. virgil village becomes silverlake in the hands of a canny real estate agent. they like to monkey with the boundaries and sometimes that can make a big difference.

Old 06-25-2012, 06:48 PM

571 posts, read 1,777,426 times
I strongly disagree with the previous posters.
They are only thinking of "Los Angeles" but they are entirely discounting the San Fernando Valley..!

This is our exact price range and there is a plethora of options particularly at the 350k range.
The best areas at this range are Northridge & Granada Hills.
YES this is a bit further from "LA Proper" but by no means is it not manageable.

I live in North Hills very close to Northridge and I commute to Santa Monica. My husband does the same but all the way to LAX. This is using the worst freeway - the 405 - But with time we found our shortcuts & commuting time "sweet spots" and commute is anywhere from 30 minutes - 45 minutes depending on what time we leave. I think this is an OK commute to have. Do I wish it was less? Of course. But it's not a deal breaker by any means.

To make a long story short:

For 350k you can even find a smaller and/or fixer-upper home in a high demand, closer-in area like Burbank or Glendale. Here are some examples:
9933 Lull Street, Burbank CA - Trulia
215 Santa Anita Avenue, Burbank CA - Trulia
1905 N Evergreen Street, Burbank CA - Trulia

In comparison if you go "deeper" into the valley here are some examples in your price range. Many homes are beautifully upgraded. Yes you can even easily get a POOL!:
16012 Calahan Street, North Hills CA - Trulia
8907 Debra Avenue, North Hills CA - Trulia
17625 Burton Street, Northridge CA - Trulia
8900 Wilbur Avenue, Northridge CA - Trulia
19619 Bryant Street, Northridge CA - Trulia

If you have a good agent and are lucky you can even grab a tiny starter home in some of the very popular & bustling areas such as Sherman Oaks or Encino:
15235 Morrison Street, Sherman Oaks CA - Trulia
5836 Encino Avenue, Encino CA - Trulia
6140 Shoshone Avenue, Encino CA - Trulia

If you are willing to do a condo or townhouse:
13360 Burbank Boulevard #3, Sherman Oaks CA - Trulia
4724 Kester Avenue #204, Sherman Oaks CA - Trulia

As I said this is our exact price range and I know the Los Angeles area very well. Especially the Glendale/Eagle Rock/Pasadena/Burbank & San Fernando Valley areas. Feel free to message me with any questions you have!! Bj_Osterhout@yahoo.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles