Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2012, 02:32 PM

10 posts, read 43,668 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are researching moving to LA, preferably the surrounding burbs. We have 2 children elementary school age. Hubby is a software engineer and makes about 100K yearly. I have worked as a nurse but stay home with the kids currently. He hasn't found a job yet but will start looking soon.
We are not looking to purchase a home but would like to rent one in a good school district. My only two needs are a good school district and a safe neighborhood for the kids. I would like to stay within a reasonable distance to LA for work (30-45 minutes in traffic) but that is negotiable for us.
Do you have a recommendation for towns or areas in certain towns we should be checking out? I have heard Burbank might be ok but I would like suggestions from those who know.
I do know that where we move will depend on hubby's job but we would like an idea of good areas to help narrow our options down. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 02:51 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,542,356 times
I don't really think of Burbank as "suburbia" anymore. To me, it's more like a small city within a larger one (LA/San Fernando Valley).

The immediate suburbs outside of the San Fernando Valley would be:

Santa Clarita (Stevenson Ranch, Valencia, Saugus), Simi Valley, Thousand Oaks, Agoura Hills (if you can afford it), Westlake Village (again, if you can afford it), Calabassas (also pricey).

I, personally, would suggest Santa Clarita and especially the neighborhoods of Valencia and Stevenson Ranch. It is picturesque Southern California suburbia in my mind. Lots of families in that area and very good public schools! Lots of churches (if that's your thing) and community social events.

There are lots of aerospace companies in Santa Clarita where your husband can apply. He can also drive up the hill toward Palmdale (30 min. drive) if he gets a job with an aerospace company out there.

The Valencia section of Santa Clarita was actually planned and designed with families in mind. I think you'll love it! Good luck in your search and Welcome to Los Angeles and California!

Old 06-22-2012, 03:57 PM

10 posts, read 43,668 times
Thank you so much Mattk for your help. Sounds like Valencia is a master planned community like we currently live in. How far of a drive is Santa Clarita from lets say Burbank, Studio City and downtown LA? Also thank you for the comments about the location of aerospace companies there. I am not sure exactly what the market is like in california for developers. Where we live it's ok but I know California has been hit hard.

Old 06-22-2012, 05:01 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,186,024 times
LA has a growing tech scene and developers are certainly in demand, in fact my company is having a hard time acquiring local talent. having said that, firms that need developers are located throughout the region (which is absolutely huge). you might want to see where your husband starts to get job offers before deciding on a place to live or you may end up being stuck with limited opportunities due to the congestion issues we have on our local freeways.

Old 06-25-2012, 06:05 PM

571 posts, read 1,931,777 times
With no traffic, the Santa Clarita Valley (which includes Valencia) is about a 30 minute drive to Burbank and about 45 minutes to downtown. With traffic however is another story..! It is a gorgeous area but a bit 'far out' from Los Angeles. Check it out - you may find it to be worth it - especially since your husband has not secured a job yet. He can look for something closer to that area if you just fall in love with it.

If you want to be 'closer in' and are willing to experience something different than where you live now (so not a master planned community) but still what I would call a upper-middle-class suburb here is my short list:

Pasadena
Glendale
Burbank
Studio City
Sherman Oaks
Encino
Tarzana
Woodland Hills

Basically along the 134/101 freeway.

If you don't mind being further out then Santa Clarita/Valencia is the top pick and the other areas listed by the previous poster (Simi Valley, Thousand Oaks, Agoura Hills, Westlake Village, & Calabasas) are great too.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:34 PM

52 posts, read 196,639 times
I second Culver City. A lot of tech companies there. Its also easy to get around to other parts of LA, especially West LA / West Hollywood, where a lot of work for Software Engineers is, depending on what type of engineering he does.

The other thing you have to consider is schools. If I remember correctly, Culver City has good schools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRESTICO View Post
Considering your husbands line of work, i would recommend West Los Angeles like Culver City or Westchester, close enough to the companies that would require his skills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles